“Fantastic weekend”
Review of Dunston Hall

Dunston Hall
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for my sister in laws hen party - just a small group of 7 of us. It was the perfect location for us and the hotel arranged several extras for us which made it very special. We used the spa facilities - perhaps the environment was a bit too chloriney if I'm going to be picky - and the Lilac Room - they do a sensational massage! The food was very good and the hotel / grounds seemed very clean and pleasant. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Overall great value and I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JandJ-Suffolk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,876)

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Just returned after a night stay for my husbands birthday. I booked a king suite and after a speedily, friendly and informative check in we managed to track our room down after a few wrong turns. We were surprised how big the hotel was. The room was large with a separate lounge area and later found out a second toilet off the lounge. We made our way to the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna

I had booked a massage for my husband and had a hot stone massage with Amy. I have got to say I have had several in the past but must say this was probably the best hot stone massage I have ever had and highly recommend her. My husband was really pleased with his massage.

We returned to our room to get ready for our evening meal, the shower was lovely and hot and supplied with shampoo etc.

We had the carvery and it was nice to see a bit of life in the beef so many placed I have visited where they cook the life out of it. I ordered off the menu for my starters as I felt the starters in the chiller cupboard looked a bit dry. I had creme brûlée for pudding, again off the menu, which I had to send back as this was split and the biscuit that came with it was not edible as so hard but had a trifle out the chiller which was quite nice.

Only couple of little grumbles was that the pillows were past their use date as they were obviously fibre filled once upon a time and had moulded together making them hard lumpy pillows and the other little gripe was that the sofa in the lounge was quite grubby and wouldn't have fancied sitting on it if I had time. It such a shame because it was a lovely lounge and wouldn't cost much to get a company in to clean it.

But all in all a lovely night stay and very friendly staff

Room Tip: King suite
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bevaedwards
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed for two nights, in March. The drive up to the hotel was spectacular, and the hotel was not a disappointment. We stayed in a standard room, which was what you would expect, comfortable, warm and clean. The staff could not have been nicer or more welcoming, from the moment we arrived until we left, even when there was a slight problem with our bill, it was sorted straight away without any fuss. Thankyou for a lovely stay we will be back im sure.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Had a great weekend, comfortable room(King Deluxe). Very helpful, attentive staff especially York in the bar and Rachael in restaurant! We ate in the Brasserie both nights and thought it good value for money. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Mother's Day afternoon tea, basically expensive especially for yesterday's sandwiches (evidenced by the dates on the cling film) stale profiteroles and scones, less sandwiches than other tables with less people (the reason for this was explained as having no bread left although other people came in afterwards). The staff were friendly and the manager gave a 25% discount for the poor food but even then it was not close to being reasonably priced. This may have been a one off bug the room was also poor it was like sitting in a poorly set out and decorated conference room.
Having tea in the bar would have been preferable because the surroundings are much nicer but presumably the food would be the same.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stuart H
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The building and grounds are spectacular and the service throughout our stay was excellent. Food was plentiful and very good, and the hotel accommodates special diets without fuss. Unfortunately, the interior of the hotel is not as expected from such a dramatic exterior and our room was very dreary and dark and in need of a facelift. Because the hotel was full, we could not take advantage of the De Vere membership upgrade offer which might have enabled us to enjoy a better room. Housekeeping was of a high standard.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Antal
Reviewed March 30, 2014

From the outside the hotel looks very grand and has lots of character, the character continues in the main hallways and bars but is completely lost in the rooms.
My room was very dated and the wardrobe very musty, not somewhere I was going to hang my clothes for the morning.
I ate in the bar and the food was well below par and overpriced for the quality on offer.
I had 'bang bang' chicken for a starter which was greasy and served with a sliced cob of iceberg lettuce on the plate, completely not as described.
Breakfast was a buffet style and I was seated at a table that was already occupied by another guest. The hot food was luke warm, especially the eggs which looked and tasted awful.
I had a burger for my main which was dry and served with very oily 'chips', a complete let down.
Service throughout my stay was good but the quality of rooms and food were well below par for any hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
#1 of 1 in Coltishall
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!