“Beautiful Dunston Hall”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dunston Hall

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Dunston Hall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

I just had to write a review about our perfect stay at this Hotel. The minute we drove down the drive I knew it was going to be a fantastic stay. When we walked into Reception the girls on the desk were smiley and welcoming. We were shown to our gorgeous Deluxe Room - we were upgraded complimentary because it was my partner's birthday. Our room was really luxurious, it had a huge bath and really comfy beds. The room had a patio door out onto a garden - I wish we had brought our dog along! We had dinner in the Brasserie, the food was perfect and the staff were really friendly, they put balloons on the table and made it really special for us. We checked out on Sunday morning and reception was packed with guests leaving, everyone was happy and the staff on reception were so bubbly, what a credit to the hotel. We were allowed to spend the whole day relaxing in the pool and jacuzzi, everything was so clean and well-kept, we ended up staying until really late, enjoying a pimms in the gardens at the back of the Hotel. Thank you for a really breath-takingly good stay, we would recommend you to anyone and I would love to get married at the hotel...someday, its just such a beautiful venue, its just so enchanting and you can just tell the staff love to give the best service they can. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe bedroom - Amazing!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor - Feedback of this nature is very important to us at the hotel as without it we cannot improve the service levels that we offer.
I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that when you are in the Norwich area again you will consider staying at Dunston Hall.
Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to speak to see you at the hotel in the near future.

Dunston Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

From start to finish our weekend break was met with proffesional staff excellent food, superb room and excellent golf course. Staff... nothing was too much trouble and everyone from bar staff to golf shop pro went out of their way to direct and help with any questions. Food....excellent selection,too much to choose from. Room...Spacious,clean and tidy and a really huge comfy bed. Golf course very tight and testing but picturesque and tranquil.

In summary we would highly recommend Dunston Hall and golf course.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
DGOpsMgr, Manager at Dunston Hall, responded to this review, September 30, 2011

Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

We spent 2 nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast spa break and whilst we enjoyed the break this is not a hotel we would return to.

Hotel room - nice and clean. We got upgraded to a deluxe room with a terrace.

Food - very poor. One evening we ate in the Brasserie and had the carvery. The meat was either very tough or very watery. The vegetables were rubbery and the yorkshire puds rock hard - taste was bland. We then had room service breakfast which was not much better. They gave us the wrong cereal, which was bland and obviously not Kelloggs (the little things often make a big difference), the tea stewed and the cooked breakfast luke warm. We decided on room service again for dinner, which whilst a bit bland was not too bad, apart from nearly breaking a tooth on a chicken bone and the fresh fruit platter being only melon & served on a dirty plate.

Spa treatments (The Lilac Room) - we had 2 1hr treatments each over the stay. The massages were very limp, despite stating our preferences, and more frustrating than relaxing. The facial was again like no facial I had experienced before. Never has my face been rubbed that hard removing a face mask and again the experience was not in any way relaxing and I left the spa quite wounded up. The staff in the salon may also want to take note of their 'quiet please' signs, as constant loud chatter whilst having a treatment is not very good!

On checking out of the hotel it became obvious that the reception staff knew that we were not happy with a number of elements of the 2 days, as whilst other customers were asked if all was OK, we were not! We challenged the receptionist on this and she just looked embarassed and asked if we wanted to speak to the manager.

Given the price to stay in this hotel, the services that they offer to their customers are well below standard and this is not a hotel we would recommend.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anet367
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay with us in particular the issues that you experienced in the Restaurant and Spa. I would be delighted to speak with you in more depth should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel daily if you would like to e-mail your contact details so I can contact you please do so on david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to speak to you in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Stoke Holy Cross hotels

Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

stayed for 2 nights, soon realised that this hotel is mainly aimed at a coporate market and not a short break loaction for couples, everyday there was many conferences taking place and everywhere seemed overcrowded and busy, our room was supposed to be superior standard but wallpaper lifting on walls, shower poor quality and room generally tired,
the resturant ok, chose the carvey only 2 small slices of meat offered by chef but plenty choice of veg well prepared ,poor value for money when you compare with other venues .
drinks quite expensive cocktails a rip off at £7.50 in a glass you could use as a thimble.
My wife had various treaments at the spa centre and she was very inpressed and pleased with what she had done ,while she was having these i played golf, nice little course but yet again completly over subscribe waiting at some tees for over 20 mins.
In general did not live to what we were expecting and was very dissapointed .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed elements of your stay with us. I would be delighted to speak with you in more depth should you wish to do so. I am available at the hotel daily if you would like to e-mail your contact details so I can contact you please do so on david.graham@devere-hotels.com.

Oakham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed on a bargain summer 4 day break over the bank holiday weekend. For two nights, my sister-in-law and husband joined us. We decided to visit here after staying at another DeVere hotel:Carden Park in Cheshire.

As we had such a great time there where everything was spotless and the service was second to none, we were slightly disappointed.

The old building is amazing as you drive up and the reception and bar area is lovely looking. We had a standard room which was very basic and in need of modernisation.

The other couple that we travelled with had a shocking room! It must have been above the kitchen or something as it was like a sauna! You could feel the heat from the floor by touch. There was a portable air-con unit provided but the window would not open wide enough to fit the outlet pipe out! When we met them for breakfast the next morning, they felt sick and they had not slept much. The hotel did change there room. AVOID 511! THE HOTEL SHOULD NOT SELL THIS ROOM - its a disgrace!

The food is really really expensive! In fact, I would call it a rip off! The service i shockingly slow, I mean really slow, and the staff need training (all of the waiting staff stacked and scraped the plates at the table right under your nose) It doesn't take a few minutes to teach staff how to stack plates on your arm and not scrape! We ate in the Brasserie two nights and order wine on both evenings, they got our wine order wrong both nights and it was slow again to get it rectified. I was sat without a drink for over half an hour :0(

The spa treatment was slightly over priced and the spa was pretty basic. No relaxation rooms and I felt like I was waiting in an under-sized doctors waiting room before my treatment.

The pool is a great size and the sauna is big and spacious. However, it is really really dirty! There are puddles of stagnant all over: it's disgusting! We usually use the pool/saunas daily when we go away to hotels, but the filth of this one put us right off!

Room Tip: Eat at some of the lovely pubs in the area. Relish is fab and the Wildebeest Arms in the next villa...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy and Sonia K

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Very nice hotel. Room's can be a bit of a trek to get to as you have to go up and down a few stairwells and long corridors to get to them (it's not a typical set up). The breakfast is very nice and arrives promptly if you pre-order it to be sent to your room. The beds are the comfiest of any hotel, although we were once put in a room with a double bed where my 6'2" husband's feet hung quite a way off the end, but we were moved when we mentioned this. It's close enough to Norwich city centre to enjoy the shopping and restaurants, and just far enough away that you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed January 2011

Brentwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

I feel the need to pass comment on our dissapointing visit to Dunston Hall arriving 3rd sep 2011 to celebrate my 50th birthday and wedding anniversary, We have been regular returning visitors to Dunston Hall for several years, i think the last visit was the 7th. We arrived at 11,o'clock to start our celebrations at this point we were told the rooms were not ready but were in the requested floor and all together as we had 4 rooms booked we did not expect them to be ready and were happy to leave luggage which we were told we be delivered our rooms and we could collect our keys after 1. we went back at about 2 and were given our keys, it was a this point we relised our request was,nt fullfield but said we would look at the rooms allocated entering our room we walked into a family room with a tiny double bed and a sofa bed made up for children bear in mind our sons and there parnters were with us in there own rooms, the dissappointment for our friend who was also there who had put a celebration pack in the room had the surprse taken away, we spent 1 hour in reception trying to rectify the bed isssues as 4 kings had been booked and we ended up wth 4 family rooms with doubles and sofa beds, this was completly rectified as the hotel was full. We had the operations manager David dealing with this so when our booking for our evening meal was confirmed 8 people for 8pm we left reception, after a few hours on the terrace returned to our rooms only to find no luggage at all in one room and other luggage in another room completly this was at 5.30pm. Our dissappointment did not stop here when we arrived in the resturant there was not any booking for us and the did not have any large tables left, not the anniversary celebration we were expecting, but the resturant manager although did his best to accomadate us it was,nt his fault it was not satisfactory, but we tried to make the best the situation, the icing on th cake was when we left to then go to the bar to have a drink there was not one seat available as it was full of the coach partyof oaps playng cards without any drinks on there tables, the only place we could find to sit was 4 armcahairs next to reception not ideal for a group of 8. Overall our weekend was not up to expectation of service we had always recieved at Dunston Hall and i,m not quite sure what has happened there, as the rooms had already been pre paid before arrival,the duty managers response of offering wine and chocs and a good rate for a return visit not a satisifactory solution for what happened and ruined what should have been an enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,087 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Dunston Hall? Share your experiences!