1,261 results
All reviews golf course zest cafe swimming pool main restaurant lovely hotel golf club afternoon tea leisure facilities spa area steam room park and ride golf break no air con spa treatments public areas two double beds four poster
Reviewed August 1, 2018

When I looked it was Marriott, then I had an e mail telling me they had sold to Brittania.
I was wary having read some bad reports on Britannia, but I need not have worried.
The deal was a pay in advance bargain, the room was smallish but bright and clean and to the point... nothing fancy, not even a pad with a pen to write down the urgent message which always come in..come on, how much would that cost ? Otherwise everything worked, the bathroom was functional and the taps and plugs were ok for a non techie oldie. Breakfast was fine... really hot tea, and a toaster that didn't explode. Maybe real orange juice would have been better than the stuff presented which tasted of detergant.
Staff were smiley, clearly local, and highly efficient. Dined ( with a party of 15) in the main dining room, again very good service, and excellent value/. Sleep was good as the place was pretty quiet notwithstanding the various hen parties and golfs around.
I would recommend.

Room tip: we asked for second floor to get some brightness.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank President66
Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

I’ve never left a one star review before but I am really disappointed with the poor customer service we have received from Sprowston Manor .

I appreciate that the hotel has transferred to Britannia group but all we have been trying to do is make an appointment with the events team to view the hotel as a potential wedding venue.

The only phone number you can call now is a 13p a minute number to the Britannia call centre so we put our enquiry through the ‘Contact us’ form on the website. We received no response to this. We have since been twice to the hotel in person and left our details with the Reception team who assured us that we would be called back. We’ve heard nothing.

I’m sure that hotels expect transition hiccups but I am so disappointed that something as basic as a phone call hasn’t been managed.

Needless to say, if this is the poor level of customer service Britannia Hotels offer at such an early stage of our wedding plans we won’t be pursuing this venue further. On the positive side, at least we didn’t book our wedding with them before the transition!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank 187suek
Reviewed July 30, 2018

I have stayed here before and it was good. Unfortunately the management of Sprowston switched from Marriott to Britannia the day before we arrived. Marriott had stripped out phone systems, computers and tills and the staff were really struggling. There also seemed to be a shortage of stock - the maids were limited to supply just 2 milk sachets per room, there were no crisps or nuts in the bars, no lime cordial in the bar, no fresh bananas - how difficult can it be for the management to go to the nearest cash and carry, just to get themselves over the transition period.
As I have said we have been to Sprowston before, and we know that it does not have air conditioning - but they really need to think about it. Yes, it was unusually hot, but even when the temperatures have been a little lower, it has been difficult to sleep.
We may go again, but we will wait to see the reviews once the ownership change has calmed down.

1  Thank CEL67
Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

This on the surface seems a well appointed hotel/golf and spa complex. The coffee/grill cafe have a nice view of the golf course and there seemed plenty of people using the course and spa. My room was large with all expected mod cons however it was lacking aircon (the hotel had provided a tower fan) and there was no bottled water, not a fan of using the bathroom sink. The restaurant food was nice however the root veg was oily. The range of draft ales was incredibly limited and the wine expensive. Breakfast is a buffet with no issues apart from there is no background music in the restaurant, not normally an issue but when there are only a couple of customers not the best experience. The staff here are also very helpful.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Ramsay2020
Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

This Spa hotel is in a beautiful setting. A splendid building with very good pool, jacuzzi, sauna. Golf which was popular. Spa treatments all fully booked ( mostly by hen party/wedding party we guessed).
Hotel under new ownership day before our stay and some systems down. Staff were, without exception, all polite and friendly. And patient with no card machine transactions, for example. We had been unable to prebook treatments online so missed out.
Main restaurant was pleasant but menu could have done with more choice, especially for stays of more than a couple of nights like ours. You would not eat here unless staying at hotel I would think. Food acceptable.
Zest bar and grill was comfortable and with a good choice of snacks/meals/ sandwiches. Lot of golfers in but The Open was on the TVs. Again, very pleasant staff.
Our room was a double with two double beds at £212 per night b&b ( cheapest deal we could find). It required some updating, with wardrobes being grubby in corners. No hotel info in room, maybe because of change of owner. TV had a volume problem alternating from being too loud to too low. The hotel info which should have been accessed through tv was also missing.
Worst was that the room was very very hot and had no air con, only a tower fan. Air con needed. When we opened the windows we got a room full of wasps. Well we counted 8 of them. There must have been a nest under the eaves and we were on the top floor. We kept the windows shut from that point. Bathroom ok with shower over bath. Nothing special.
Rather a lack of toilets in the main areas. One block nearish to restaurant but that was it for whole of ground floor (except changing rooms). So 4 actual toilets for all the ladies!
Hopefully the new owners will update and upgrade.

Trip type: Traveled with family