“Pleasant overnight stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Reviewed August 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight at Sprowston Manor as we had to collect our daughter from a school trip at an activity centre in Cromer the following day.

We had a lovely spacious suite, spotlessly clean, very quiet with with tasteful furnishing. The bed was exceptionally comfortable too. The bathroom was well appointed with lovely complimentary toiletries and fluffy towels.

The staff were charming,helpful and extremely efficient. Any requests made via Reception were dealt with speedily and the service overall was excellent. Even a request for a DVD player resulted in the machine being brought up to our room within 10 minutes!

The room service evening food was very good indeed, as was the continental breakfast in the morning.

The only thing about the hotel that was a little disappointing was the swimming pool which is a bit of a strange shape and had a large portion roped off for a children's swimming class. This meant there wasn't much space to swim and the little space there was was very overcrowded.

Aside from that, we had a very pleasant stay and would definitely return to the hotel. We have stayed in a great many hotels across the UK for both business and pleasure and Sprowston Manor had the best service of anywhere we've stayed so far. The hotel manager should give him/herself a big pat on the back for running such a smooth ship (so to speak).

Room Tip: I'd recommend paying a little extra for one of the spacious & airy suites.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed August 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights at this fine hotel with a group touring Norfolk. Our spacious room was well equipped and we had no complaints about the service as all the staff were attentive. The included meals in our deal were excellent and certainly adequate with a good choice to suit everyone. we even had free wine the first night. The grounds are extensive and you really feel you are in a country house. Surprisingly too on two nights they were accommodating two weddings but you wouldn't have noticed it as a staying guest - well done the hotel..

But why have I used the above heading ? The last night was our extension night and sadly I fear the Sunday dinner crew were not up to the standards of the previous two nights. Maybe the chef was on leave but the three course meal we had which set us back £90 including two glasses of undistinguished white wine was frankly disappointing - a small helping of the standard soup, which could have been warmer, a fish dish of the day which never lived up to its description and was frankly poor and a sweet which was so small as to be needing a magnifying glass ! The evening was capped when a poor waitress delivering our coffee in the lounge misjudged the delivery to the table and one cup finished up all over the carpet !! Sorry chaps: you will have to do better - especially after the great meals we had had on the first two nights.
And the breakfasts were pretty good too !

But don't pass this place by on the strength of one meal. I'm sure the staff will continue to do their best to look after you. Just think carefully about staying on a Sunday night !!

ASTRO TRAVEL

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens - you can then have fun in the morning counting the bobbing w...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Astrotravel
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Recently stayed at the sprowston manor, was very impressed with the welcome we received. Room was clean and tidy. Did not use any of the leisure facilities but did have a evening meal which was excellent with a good choice to choose from the menu, including catering for my wife who is coeliac. The only disappointing thing with the hotel is that wifi is only free in public areas, which seems crazy if you are paying to stay at the hotel it should be free in the rooms as well. Having stayed at numerous hotels around Europe where it's all free, I feel marriott hotels are living in the past. Having said that I would recommend this hotel

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I booked a spa day for me and 6 friends for my birthday looking for relaxation and a girly day in a spa. We arrived and was highly disapointed. I have been to spas before and this should not be classed as a spa. There was a small swimming pool, a jacuzzi n a steam room/sauna. We could not go in the swimming pool when we arrived as a aqua fit class was going on and the other side of the pool was sectioned for lane swimming. We even tried to get our money back and go straight home rather than spend the day here. We had treatments of a massage or pedis and we cannot fault the therapists they were excellent if this was not included in the price our day would of been ruined and the money wasted. As a group of 7 I felt there was not enough space to sit together on loungers or go in jacuzzi because of how many other people were there.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank lkelly14
Salvatore_longo, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your treatments at our spa and I will be sharing your comments with our therapists as well. However, I do apologise that our facilities were not what you expected. As we are a hotel spa we have both our members & hotel guests sharing our facilities and our 13 meter pool, alongside our spa clients. Our facilities do become busy over the summer holidays due to an increase in people taking vacation at our property. Our Aqua Fit classes are scheduled weekly and we try to schedule our spa day treatments so that they complete once our aqua classes have finished, leaving our guests time to relax by the pool, in our Jacuzzi, recently renovated sauna or steam room. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Salvatore Longo
Director of Operations

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Sprowston Manor is located between Norwich and Wroxham in the north east of Norwich. The main building is located in the middle of the golf course so it is about 200 metres from the main road meaning no road noise could be heard. The building is a manor house in the centre with bedroom extensions to the back of the manor all interlinked.

The check- in could have been a little bit more friendly however the rest of the staff were very friendly and accommodating. It is a shame they do not accept Telegraph newspaper subscription vouchers unlike some hotels. In regard to check-in, I am a believer of a pay-as-you-go arrangement with extras, rather than the hotel placing a £50 a night hold on the credit card. One unclear aspect when booking was the extra person charges applicable. (For 3 or 4 persons, the extra person charge only applies if extra beds are required eg. 1 King and 2 Zbeds but not if you choose a 2 double beds twin so ensure you make the correct room selection!) I was pleased that ice buckets were sent upon request, free of charge. Whilst the wifi is free in public areas it would be better to have wifi free in the room as well.

The room itself was well- appointed and clean though not free from maintenance issues. The light bulb in the lamp needed changing on the first night which was done the next day. On the second night the sink plug would not release but was fixed in 30 minutes upon notification. The room contained two double beds which is suitable for a family group. My main criticism of the room was the temperature - it was stifling hot. This may be partly caused by the fact that the swimming pool is two floors underneath the room. Admittedly it was 25 - 30 degrees centigrade outside. However, we did have the fan on and the windows open yet, it was still too hot. Perhaps a future investment program for the hotel would be to install air conditioning or have more powerful fans available. A further concern was that because the space opposite the room formed part of the swimming pool complex it meant a strong chlorine smell was present in the corridor, happily it was not present in the room. The bathroom ventilation could have been improved as it took a long time for condensation to pass.

The housekeeping staff did a good job of tidying the room and stocks were replenished throughout the stay. On one occasion, the cleaner asked which variety of biscuits we preferred which was a nice touch!

On the restaurant side of things, it is good to see it has a 5* food hygiene rating. The breakfast is worth getting in a package but a bit expensive at £15.25 per person per night to add on. An outline of what the extensive breakfast comprised is: bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, hash brown, baked beans, omelettes ( upon request at an omelette station), toast, Danish pastries, pain-au-chocolat, croissant, muslei (on request) , Kellogg's cereals, cold meat, melon, pineapple, fruit salad and yogurt. It was nice that at breakfast the napkins were cloth. On one night we had dinner at the Zest Bar + Grill over in the golf club house. The beef goulash was very good with tender meat and well seasoned gravy which was enjoyed - £9 was reasonable. The blueberry cheesecake was rather disappointing as it did not taste of anything and the accompanying ice-cream was not up to the required standard and contained ice particles which is not a good sign. As an amateur cook, I would recommend a lemon flavour within the cream cheese component and rather than a crumble topping, a blueberry compote on the top. The ice cream should have been artisan although it is not that hard to make. It was not worth the £5 charged.

I think this property needs to implement a different pricing strategy as I thought £135 B&B a night for an advance purchase leisure off-peak customer was a bit on the high side and according to the website it rarely gets much lower than that. I would stay here again maybe when it's not so hot and when the price is right!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms above the swiming pool. I think x00- x15.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I stayed for a weekend break. The hotel is nice and service was excellent. However, I was not impressed with having to pay fifteen pounds per day for internet use. My husband had to work during our stay. As a guest of the hotel, I think it should be free. The hotel is small and was full when we were staying there. The swimming pool although lovely, was very busy and there was a large area set aside for lane swimming. Which made it difficult to swim with a young child some days. 8/10

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 31, 2014

The high light of this hotel is the staff. They were excellent - extremely courteous and helpful (except for the golf bar staff who were only interested in chatting up young golfers).
This is a hotel that has got lost in time - its facilities are now sadly outdated. Guest rooms do not have air conditioning and on a sunny day can be unbearably hot. The new events marquee in the ground caters for lots of events - sometimes very noisy events - so if your window is open to let in some cool air it also lets in all that noise. We were moved to a quieter room - it was not only quiet but it was also cool and there the praise ends. The room was showing distinct signs of old age - carpets were smelly and dirty, toilet pan disgusting, shower stained. Not what you would expect form a Marriott.
How many up market hotels these days do not offer free WiFi in the guest rooms - this one doesn't.
This was my fourth visit to Sprowston Manor (the last visit was some years ago) but it will probably be my last. Shame as the location on the edge of the Broads and with its own excellent golf course could make it a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Be careful of aspect if its hot. Avoid the wing just off reception. Avoid rooms overlooking new ev...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Salvatore_longo, Manager at Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure to welcome you back to Sprowston Manor and I am delighted to read your great feedback about our staff. However, at the same time I would like to apologise if the cleanliness of the room you stayed in was not up to our usual standards. I can assure you that we have taken immediate action and I have shared your detailed feedback with our Housekeeping team. We do have air conditioning in operation during the very rare hot summer days in our Restaurants, Bars and public areas were we do also offer free Wi-Fi but unfortunately at this stage we are unable to offer these services in our bedrooms.
Once again, we value your feedback so that we can improve on our standards and I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sprowston Manor in the future.

Kind regards,

Salvatore Longo Director of Operations
Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer
Holiday Inn Norwich City

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!