Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Really, one of my worst hotel stays in a long time... Spent one night here on work trip, a Saturday. Terrible night.

Arrived late, and was provided the disabled room. I understand that this happens sometimes, but this room was quite strange. Dificult to figure out where to turn on lights, etc. I pulled a string which I thought was a lightswitch, and it aparently set off an alarm which caused the front desk to come to my room (repeatedly).

Biggest warning: No air conditioning in this room (and whole hotel?). As a result, the windows needed to stay open all night, which allowed noise from a wedding and the adjacent pub to filter in until about 11PM. Walls were also paper thin, and allowed noise from minor wedding after-party in adjacent room. Call to the front desk resulted in a knock on neighbor's door, rather than a requested reassignment to a new room.

Finally fall asleep around 1AM. My room also faced out onto a gravel parking lot, which was quite noisy. Golfers started arriving around 6AM, and with open windows, that meant more noise and wakeup.

Went to breakfast at around 7:30A, and found the dining room without any staff. After 10 minutes someone emerged from the kitchen and seated me. I watched this scenario play out with every other guest who showed up. Breakfast was average.

Other minor complaint is swimming pool smell permeating everywhere.

Overall, don't be fooled by the brand name. This hotel is not even close to typical Marriott standards. It is a blight to the brand. I switched my stay to the Holiday Inn at the stadium, and had a much better rest the following night.

• Stayed: August 2008
There are newer reviews for Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Reviewed August 12, 2008

Positive first :We have just returned from a 4 night break at the hotel feeling relaxed and refreshed.
We are 2 adults and 3 kids from 10 upwards.
We stayed in the Gainsbrough suite which was a fantastic room. living room with sofa,tv etc and 3 x Z beds were put in for us. A large bedroom with additional TV and dressing area and a nice size bathroom with bath and seperate shower. It had a nice view over the drive way and fountain.
The swimming/spa area was a real highlight, we stay in hotels often and would rate it quite highly. It comprised of a 2o metre pool and childrens poolx2,jacuzzi,steam,sauna,loungers etc.
there was a seperate area for drinks and ice creams to be brought too and the changing rooms were of a high standard.

We did however encounter some quite considerable problems in the dinning area. Our first meal of 2 courses took 3 hours whilst dinning to rave music( there was a rowdy wedding party next door).The 2nd night we were told the only thing we could have was room service as they had another wedding in.The room service was awfull and I was kept awake til 1am with the music from the on site golf club having a private members party.
We complained and were genuinely listened too the staff were keen to put it right and gave us a complimentary meal the next night which was of a much higher standard and really delicous!
The breakfast each day was not pleasant at all and a real let down. food was left out and had gone all dried and crusty,the fruit was brown.My husband I just ate toast as we couldnt face it but the kids tucked in all the same.

Overall the hotel really wants to please and has some good things going for it.They just cannt cope with hotel residents as well as wedding parties at the weekends and they need to seriously improve breakfast!

Gary the guest relations rep is very friendly and helpfull and all the staff were really nice.

I also had a facial and they did a great job.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Lovely setting. Decent pool & spa. The food was ridiculously overprised and just terrible: bland and greasy - avoid at all costs.

Room - kind of dated but clean and well styled.

The worst part of it was that I noticed a second smaller charge on my credit card a few days after I checked out. Having called them up I received an explanation that this was for drinking a small wine from the minibar. After explaining that I have never touched the mini bar they agreed to refund the charge. I accept this was a mistake.

General feeling is that the hotel is over-priced, food is terrible and they try to rip you off afterwards. It is okay if you are a passionate golf player I suppose.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2008

12 of us stayed there on a golfing/stag night. £145 per room + evening meal and round of golf, VERY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY!!!!.
Rooms were a decent size, good bathroom, all the little touches that a half decent hotel should provide.
If we were paying extra for the food I would have moaned but for that money it was not a problem, (i might be contradicting myself here but the breakfast was truly awful)
On the whole it was a very decent hotel, cant be to bad i bumped in to a premiership footballer who used to play for Ipswich but now spends most of his time on the physio's table at ''Gods own'' football club West Han United checking in !!. So if its good enough for him its good enough for me. lol.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed February 15, 2008

Just returned from a four night stay at the Marriott. First the good points. It is an attractive building and has a nice swimming pool, sauna & jacuzzi. Room 121 had two doubles in it and had all the usual facilities of a big chain.
The staff in the reception & the Zest bar are helpful and make an effort to make your stay enjoyable.
This hotel is however let down by some minor irritations that spoil what could be an excellent hotel.
Some of the rooms were refurbished six months ago and as i found out the sink was not plumbed in correctly and water leaked over the floor. This was dealt with by maintenance quite quickly and the hotel is now in the process of checking other rooms. Small stains possible coke where left on the bathroom door during the entire stay and the mini bar was only replenished at my request, not automatically.
The real problem though is the food. The cooked breakfast was like cardboard as a result of being left in heating trays too long and the scrambled eggs were grey in colour!!
All evening meals were taken in the Zest bar who kindly agreed to start their evening menu early. The staff are great, but the chef struggles to cope with large groups. Cooked prawns had been cooked some considerable time previously and allowed to cool. Hence no sauce and very dry. Other dishes were overcooked on occasions, however these were changed immediately this was highlighted.
The front of house staff are being let down by the speed of the kitchen. Nearly two hours for three quite ordinary courses!!
If the food problems are addressed this could be a great hotel with the location etc. However at present go for the accomodation and skip the meals until the food improves!!
For those travelling into Norwich by public transport or who dont want to park their car in the centre there is a park and ride location opposite the hotel. Even if you have no car, buy a parking ticket first as it will halve the cost of the return journey!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2008

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for my birthday "treat" on the weekend of the 15th December 2007. All I can do is praise the hotel and it's staff for their hospitality and professionalism. It really is a beautiful location with a fantastic amenities. Just to give a brief overview of our experience..
After arriving and checking into our hotel room we decided to take a drink in the Gurney room. Whilst seated, a member of staff came and asked if we would like the fire turned up and the lights switched low - this was real attention to detail to make a romantic setting even more so. We decided that we would like to eat in Norwich as the hotel restaurant was closed. The restaurant Manager was more than happy to recommend another venue in Norwich, booked us a table and arranged transport all without us leaving our seats! Later that evening, well at 2:30am, my partner awoke feeling unwell and after a call to reception within minutes there was someone on hand to assist him, which helped us both out eat deal. I am very grateful to all of the staff at the hotel and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Norwich.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca3
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I am currently on the phone, holding waiting for the hotel operator to pick up. A machine is telling me my extension isn't valid.

To summarise Sprowston Manor - put simply, they let the Marriott chain down.

My friend has her 30th Birthday Party at Sprowston this weekend. This should be one of the most simple events Sprowston could be organising. Less than 100 people, a few canapes, job done. But it would seem no part of organising this party with Sprowston has been simple.

From not being able to get through on the phone, to event planners not turning up to appointments and agreed menus not being met. Nothing is simple enough for Sprowston.

The hotel itself is lovely to look at is in an ideal location, just 10 mins from Norwich City Centre and the right side of the city for easy access to the airport.

But it's not as glamorous as the price tag would suggest. The reception smells of chlorine from the nearby swimming pool and I've only met one member of staff whose uniform/suit wasn't dirty.

There are better hotels to stay at in Norwich. The local DeVere hotel, Dunston Hall, isn't as nicely done up (Sprowston have just recently refurbished themselves) but the staff are far more professional. The St Giles Hotel is expensive but completely lush and the newly re-done Nelson Hotel offers good value accommodation in the city centre.

I've got my fingers crossed for a successful party tomorrow and a pleasant stay. We'll see.

Stayed: November 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer
Holiday Inn Norwich City

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!