“Not impressed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
England
“Not impressed”
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Lovely setting. Decent pool & spa. The food was ridiculously overprised and just terrible: bland and greasy - avoid at all costs.

Room - kind of dated but clean and well styled.

The worst part of it was that I noticed a second smaller charge on my credit card a few days after I checked out. Having called them up I received an explanation that this was for drinking a small wine from the minibar. After explaining that I have never touched the mini bar they agreed to refund the charge. I accept this was a mistake.

General feeling is that the hotel is over-priced, food is terrible and they try to rip you off afterwards. It is okay if you are a passionate golf player I suppose.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
London
Reviewed April 28, 2008

12 of us stayed there on a golfing/stag night. £145 per room + evening meal and round of golf, VERY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY!!!!.
Rooms were a decent size, good bathroom, all the little touches that a half decent hotel should provide.
If we were paying extra for the food I would have moaned but for that money it was not a problem, (i might be contradicting myself here but the breakfast was truly awful)
On the whole it was a very decent hotel, cant be to bad i bumped in to a premiership footballer who used to play for Ipswich but now spends most of his time on the physio's table at ''Gods own'' football club West Han United checking in !!. So if its good enough for him its good enough for me. lol.

Stayed April 2008
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed February 15, 2008

Just returned from a four night stay at the Marriott. First the good points. It is an attractive building and has a nice swimming pool, sauna & jacuzzi. Room 121 had two doubles in it and had all the usual facilities of a big chain.
The staff in the reception & the Zest bar are helpful and make an effort to make your stay enjoyable.
This hotel is however let down by some minor irritations that spoil what could be an excellent hotel.
Some of the rooms were refurbished six months ago and as i found out the sink was not plumbed in correctly and water leaked over the floor. This was dealt with by maintenance quite quickly and the hotel is now in the process of checking other rooms. Small stains possible coke where left on the bathroom door during the entire stay and the mini bar was only replenished at my request, not automatically.
The real problem though is the food. The cooked breakfast was like cardboard as a result of being left in heating trays too long and the scrambled eggs were grey in colour!!
All evening meals were taken in the Zest bar who kindly agreed to start their evening menu early. The staff are great, but the chef struggles to cope with large groups. Cooked prawns had been cooked some considerable time previously and allowed to cool. Hence no sauce and very dry. Other dishes were overcooked on occasions, however these were changed immediately this was highlighted.
The front of house staff are being let down by the speed of the kitchen. Nearly two hours for three quite ordinary courses!!
If the food problems are addressed this could be a great hotel with the location etc. However at present go for the accomodation and skip the meals until the food improves!!
For those travelling into Norwich by public transport or who dont want to park their car in the centre there is a park and ride location opposite the hotel. Even if you have no car, buy a parking ticket first as it will halve the cost of the return journey!!!!

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Rochford, Essex
Reviewed January 8, 2008

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for my birthday "treat" on the weekend of the 15th December 2007. All I can do is praise the hotel and it's staff for their hospitality and professionalism. It really is a beautiful location with a fantastic amenities. Just to give a brief overview of our experience..
After arriving and checking into our hotel room we decided to take a drink in the Gurney room. Whilst seated, a member of staff came and asked if we would like the fire turned up and the lights switched low - this was real attention to detail to make a romantic setting even more so. We decided that we would like to eat in Norwich as the hotel restaurant was closed. The restaurant Manager was more than happy to recommend another venue in Norwich, booked us a table and arranged transport all without us leaving our seats! Later that evening, well at 2:30am, my partner awoke feeling unwell and after a call to reception within minutes there was someone on hand to assist him, which helped us both out eat deal. I am very grateful to all of the staff at the hotel and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Norwich.

• Liked — The pool and decor.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca3
Norwich
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I am currently on the phone, holding waiting for the hotel operator to pick up. A machine is telling me my extension isn't valid.

To summarise Sprowston Manor - put simply, they let the Marriott chain down.

My friend has her 30th Birthday Party at Sprowston this weekend. This should be one of the most simple events Sprowston could be organising. Less than 100 people, a few canapes, job done. But it would seem no part of organising this party with Sprowston has been simple.

From not being able to get through on the phone, to event planners not turning up to appointments and agreed menus not being met. Nothing is simple enough for Sprowston.

The hotel itself is lovely to look at is in an ideal location, just 10 mins from Norwich City Centre and the right side of the city for easy access to the airport.

But it's not as glamorous as the price tag would suggest. The reception smells of chlorine from the nearby swimming pool and I've only met one member of staff whose uniform/suit wasn't dirty.

There are better hotels to stay at in Norwich. The local DeVere hotel, Dunston Hall, isn't as nicely done up (Sprowston have just recently refurbished themselves) but the staff are far more professional. The St Giles Hotel is expensive but completely lush and the newly re-done Nelson Hotel offers good value accommodation in the city centre.

I've got my fingers crossed for a successful party tomorrow and a pleasant stay. We'll see.

Stayed November 2007
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We booked last minute on the Friday night, for a saturday check in, room cost £248 including breakfast and dinner. Arrived and checked in straight away, all staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was gorgeous, we had a 1 bed suite with 4 poster bed, lounge area and double bath. Jets in the bath would have been an added bonus, not sure why this did not do this but anyway - still a nice bath.

We had a couple of minor niggles,

1. order a £21.50 bottle of champagne from room service, my partner signed for it and they had incorrectly charged us £39.00, I rang room service, they apologised and it was corrected immediately.

2. Our room rate included 'dinner'. We found at when we went into the restaurant that the dinner rate meant that we could either eat from the 4 course set menu (neither myself nor my partner liked 3 out of 4 courses so this was not an option), so instead we were able to order from the a la carte menu, we had a £25 allowance towards whatever we chose. There was no salmon, or chicken and only one veggie option, and for £28 I was not going to choose the vegetarian rissoto, so I reuqested salmon, new potatoes and veg that I had seen on the room service menu, this was only £15 (half the price of all other main courses). My partner chose fillet of beef with chunky chips and tomatoes, he like his meal but again it was certainly not worth the £28 it was priced at. When we had to sign for our meal they had forgotton to take the £25 x 2 off of our bill, I pointed this out and they quickly apologised and rectified.

3. On check out we had been incorrectly charged £10.95 for in room breakfaxt when we were on a room rate that included breakfast, again I pointed this out and they quickly apologised and rectified.

The three above errors could have cost me an extra £78 if I had not of noticed!!

All in all a beautiful hotel, gorgeous room, food quite nice but ridicously overpriced, food in a top london restaurant would be of similar pricing but ten times as good.

Would I go back - to a suite yes, to the restaurant no.

Perfect for a weekend chill out - really enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — luxury clean room
  • Disliked — overpriced food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jdvptraveller
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We have stayed at this hotel several times now, before and after the rennovations and have to say it is one of my favourite hotels in the uk.

The food in the Manor restaurant can sometimes be a bit iffy but more often than not very good ( expensive tho )

The hotel staff have always been very attentive. however one almost irritating feature was that on my last stay they sent me an e-mail 3 days beforehand saying we are preparing your room and looking forward to you coming...... nice touch I suppose. The day before they phoned me to ask if their was anything extra they could do to help with our stay. Then 10 minutes after we checked in the room phone rang and it was the duty manager to check everything was ok..........Slight overkill maybe. But the staff do generally care.

The pool area is very nice. I cant comment on the spa , except my wife spent a fortune their... but did say it was excellent. Personally I would have expected her to come out looking 20 years younger for the money she spent :-)

The park and ride for Norwich city centre is just about within walking distance which is useful.

I often stay in Norfolk and this is always my first choice of hotel. I will be staying again

• Liked — Attentive staff, cleanliness. Very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — nothing springs to mind
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve_&_Nikki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Barnham Broom
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!