“Complacent!!!”

Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed here the first weekend in August as a family of six in 2 rooms. We arrived and the approach to the hotel was very impressive with a tree lined drive cutting through the golf course, this is where the quality ends! We checked into our rooms and instantly you could feel the heat in the room but the rooms was clean if a little dated. We then used the leisure facilities which to be fair were excellent but the staff there did not seem to know what they were doing. We later went to the bar to get a drink and we stood for 20 minutes without service watching a more senior barman doing his best to look busy and ignore everyone. We tried to book a table for dinner but again nobody would engage us so we left and drove to a nearby pub. We came back later after a nice pub meal with good service to try the bar again and the same miserable guy just blatantly ignored us and after 10 minutes told a younger man that we may need serving? We then went to our room and tried to sleep which was a big mistake, there was music booming outside our window into the early hours, I called reception twice and they said there was nothing they could do as it was a wedding. After about 4 hours sleep and the children constantly waking we went down for breakfast where again the service was poor and the selection was not great either, The Sunday night we thought would be much better but again there was a wedding on, this time with a band playing louder than the disco the night previous. Again I called reception who were sorry but no action taken. Through the night also we heard drunken groups outside our rooms until around 3am. Breakfast the second day was as poor as the first and there seems to be a culture amongst the staff at this hotel of the location is great so we don`t need to worry about customer service. For the price we paid for 2 rooms, 2 nights I felt really short changed and I came home after what should have been a relaxing weekend feeling tired and very sad at what we experienced, We will never return to this hotel again!!!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the lawn/marquee!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonbantam
Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed August 8, 2011

As someone working in the Hotel industry (I am a freelance Hotelier, similar to The Hotel Inspector) I booked a stay here thinking that as a Marriott Hotel I would be able to "switch off" from my day job and not even consider the service levels, facilities, or overall standard of the hotel. How wrong was I.

First off, the room. Mould around the window seals, what can only be descirbed as "splash marks" around the toilet in my bathroom, and dust on the console table that was clearly there longer than the few hours between the room "being cleaned" in the morning, and my check-in at 19:30.

My evening meal was ok at best, the staff didn't exactly inspire me to try something different on the menu, so I settled on a steak. After asking for it medium-rare it came out practically blue, and then when I asked for it to be cooked for longer until it at least stopped moo-ing, it came back overdone. No sign of a medium-rare steak at all. Little touches like condiments that wouldn't look out of place in a greasy spoon, or the fact my table was sited up against a blank wall (seriously, a picture or a decorative feature would improve the ambience no end) let the whole thing down, and then having to wait 25 minutes for the jug of water I requested to be brought to the table just topped it all off.

The leisure facilities were one of the highlights of the stay, in terms of cleanliness and how quiet they were anyway. On my first visit I think it must have been shift change-over as there were several staff around (more than there were people in there swimming), but the second time I saw just one member of staff stood on the Pool reception desk in the two hours I was there. Whilst there I did ask for information and prices for membership as I live a few miles away, and for the next five minutes they treated me like I was Prince William, and nothing was too much trouble. As nice as it was, they should treat all their customers like this!

Overall certain aspects of my stay were great; - the reception staff on check-out were rather busy with a queue of people going home, but their apologies for the wait seemed sincere (this surprised me greatly). Sadly these highlights were more than outweighed by the overall feel that the place really needs money spent on it - specifically on the little touches and the customer service - which is imperative you get right if you want to continue to charge a premium for the brand.

Room Tip: Wait until the future of the chain is secure before coming to stay here - it needs investment.
1  Thank TwitterFiend
Reviewed August 6, 2011

There was some good service, particularly reception and David at the restaurant (a true professional and most personable). Also, a mix-up with my spa booking was swiftly and politely resolved. We felt genuinely welcome. The room was freshly-decorated and comfortable, even in hot weather.
However, breakfast was mediocre and the swimming pool ruined by lots of poorly-behaved children (and, in some cases, their parents/carers joining in), with no effort made by the staff to control the situation. Most of the adults there who were trying to enjoy a swim managed just a few minutes before they gave up - this occurred for several of my party, and myself, on several different occassions over three days, so it wasn't just a "bad day".

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed with wife and two children (6 and 4) for two nights for a family wedding about an hour's drive away. We shared a room with 2 double beds. The room was very corporate - okay, but nothing special. What blew me away was the service at breakfast. We had a swim first (nice pool) so had breakfast at 10.30. There was plenty of food, but my daughter took the last chocolate croissant! Result, very sulky 6 year old son. Asked very nice French lady if they had any more. She came back to our table in a minute with the bad news that they had run out, but instead of leaving it at that, which 99% of people would have done, she got a plain croissant and melted a cup full of chocolate to spread on it. Result - one really happy boy, one really happy Dad, one really happy family.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My friend had a Pamper Day at Sprowston Hall Spa, and took me along as a guest, first impressions of the relaxation room at 10A.M were good apart from the view out of the french doors..the small area with bistro table and chairs was dirty, dusty with leaves and tissues, the outlook was a grassy bank with weeds and long grass, we were told as it was a sunny day and wished to sit outside we could, decided not to,due to it not being that clean! The relaxation room was very pleasant, calming soft music and plenty of fruit and herbal tea bags and a flask of hot water, plenty of mugs and glass with bottles of cold still water.
We had a swim, then relaxed outside as it was a warm day. Lunch at 12. which was plentiful and tasty.
Our treatments started at1P.M. my friend was delighted with hers..not so me,I'd paid for a back, neck and shoulder massage £33, the room was calming and pleasant,unfortunately my neck wasn't massaged, but the rest of the treatment was completed, then my facial was started, which finished at my chin!!! my throat and chest wasn't cleansed or creamed. I was left with exfoliation grains in my hairline,no hair band was used to keep my hair from being rubbed over my face during treatment. Another £33!!!( I was given a10% discount on this when I complained) when returned to the relaxation room, it was not as well kept as it had appeared earlier in the day.... NO hot water, used glasses and mugs on all surfaces, nobody had been to check on the state of the room, or if they had, did not attempt to clean it up!
All the staff were extremley pleasant, but not so the treatments! they are not cheap,and I'd had hoped for a better experience.
Overall I will not be going for another day at Sprowston Hall Spa.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank animallover23
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed at this hotel fopr one night for my Husband's birthday - brilliant time - great room , food was well presented , swimming pool , steam room, and sauna were great. Location is good as only 4 miles from Norwich. Grounds are superbly kept.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor which was newly decorated
1  Thank cswright54
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I booked in to this hotel on 29th July for 2 nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis and paid £270 a night. The room was lovely with a 4 poster bed, over-sized bath and walk in shower and we had high hopes of a great weekend.
We went to the restaurant for our evening meal and were put on a small table next to a wall. We were asked by 2 different waitresses if we would like water and we said we would however we never did receive any.There was a large party of people who were really loud and rowdy. We had to wait ages for out food to come out and when it did my food was cold and the steak came out rare when i had asked for well done. My husband had slow braised belly of pork which was disgusting. When the waitress came to clear the plates and saw we had basically left our food she asked if everything was OK and explained they were very busy, she was also apologetic for the rowdy guests.
I went to the reception and spoke to the manager and told her we would like to cancel the meal for the next night and we went back to our room. There was so much noise from the music of a wedding reception that we were unable to sleep until about 1am.
We checked out the next morning after having our weekend ruined.

1  Thank TAL67019
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Maids Head Hotel
18 mi away
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#1 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!