“Some things great, other things not so great”

Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Midlands
“Some things great, other things not so great”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

There was some good service, particularly reception and David at the restaurant (a true professional and most personable). Also, a mix-up with my spa booking was swiftly and politely resolved. We felt genuinely welcome. The room was freshly-decorated and comfortable, even in hot weather.
However, breakfast was mediocre and the swimming pool ruined by lots of poorly-behaved children (and, in some cases, their parents/carers joining in), with no effort made by the staff to control the situation. Most of the adults there who were trying to enjoy a swim managed just a few minutes before they gave up - this occurred for several of my party, and myself, on several different occassions over three days, so it wasn't just a "bad day".

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed with wife and two children (6 and 4) for two nights for a family wedding about an hour's drive away. We shared a room with 2 double beds. The room was very corporate - okay, but nothing special. What blew me away was the service at breakfast. We had a swim first (nice pool) so had breakfast at 10.30. There was plenty of food, but my daughter took the last chocolate croissant! Result, very sulky 6 year old son. Asked very nice French lady if they had any more. She came back to our table in a minute with the bad news that they had run out, but instead of leaving it at that, which 99% of people would have done, she got a plain croissant and melted a cup full of chocolate to spread on it. Result - one really happy boy, one really happy Dad, one really happy family.

• Stayed July 2011
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My friend had a Pamper Day at Sprowston Hall Spa, and took me along as a guest, first impressions of the relaxation room at 10A.M were good apart from the view out of the french doors..the small area with bistro table and chairs was dirty, dusty with leaves and tissues, the outlook was a grassy bank with weeds and long grass, we were told as it was a sunny day and wished to sit outside we could, decided not to,due to it not being that clean! The relaxation room was very pleasant, calming soft music and plenty of fruit and herbal tea bags and a flask of hot water, plenty of mugs and glass with bottles of cold still water.
We had a swim, then relaxed outside as it was a warm day. Lunch at 12. which was plentiful and tasty.
Our treatments started at1P.M. my friend was delighted with hers..not so me,I'd paid for a back, neck and shoulder massage £33, the room was calming and pleasant,unfortunately my neck wasn't massaged, but the rest of the treatment was completed, then my facial was started, which finished at my chin!!! my throat and chest wasn't cleansed or creamed. I was left with exfoliation grains in my hairline,no hair band was used to keep my hair from being rubbed over my face during treatment. Another £33!!!( I was given a10% discount on this when I complained) when returned to the relaxation room, it was not as well kept as it had appeared earlier in the day.... NO hot water, used glasses and mugs on all surfaces, nobody had been to check on the state of the room, or if they had, did not attempt to clean it up!
All the staff were extremley pleasant, but not so the treatments! they are not cheap,and I'd had hoped for a better experience.
Overall I will not be going for another day at Sprowston Hall Spa.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank animallover23
Eye, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed at this hotel fopr one night for my Husband's birthday - brilliant time - great room , food was well presented , swimming pool , steam room, and sauna were great. Location is good as only 4 miles from Norwich. Grounds are superbly kept.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor which was newly decorated
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cswright54
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I booked in to this hotel on 29th July for 2 nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis and paid £270 a night. The room was lovely with a 4 poster bed, over-sized bath and walk in shower and we had high hopes of a great weekend.
We went to the restaurant for our evening meal and were put on a small table next to a wall. We were asked by 2 different waitresses if we would like water and we said we would however we never did receive any.There was a large party of people who were really loud and rowdy. We had to wait ages for out food to come out and when it did my food was cold and the steak came out rare when i had asked for well done. My husband had slow braised belly of pork which was disgusting. When the waitress came to clear the plates and saw we had basically left our food she asked if everything was OK and explained they were very busy, she was also apologetic for the rowdy guests.
I went to the reception and spoke to the manager and told her we would like to cancel the meal for the next night and we went back to our room. There was so much noise from the music of a wedding reception that we were unable to sleep until about 1am.
We checked out the next morning after having our weekend ruined.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TAL67019
Glasgow
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Having always considered Sprowston Manor to be one of the better hotels in the area, and being part of the Marriott group, my recent stay shattered any illusion that this was a decent hotel.
Arriving late in the evening (approx 10.20pm) I was greeted by an empty reception area. Having waited five minutes for a receptionist to appear (a personal record), there was no friendly welcome but an insincere apology and an attitude best be decribed as efficient. This has got to be one of the worst, unprofessional and least welcoming check-in experiences I have ever had.
The room itself was good although the bathroom was showing it's age, being slightly dated and starting to look tired. Off to the bar next for me for a relaxing drink. Waste of time as again cold and unwelcoming with zero atmosphere and surly staff. I got the impression that I was bothering them by asking for a drink.
Woken at 4.30 am in the morning by sunlight beaming through the curtains. Granted not the hotels fault but surely now it is standard to fit curtains with black-out cutain lining. Having had a long day the previously this was the last thing I wanted.
Breakfast next. In a hotel marketing itself such as Sprowston Manor does, it has got to be good. There is just no excuse for it being anything other than excellent. Again it was a truley disappointing experience. Usual bog standard selection of generic hot foods buffet style with a small selection of cold meats and cheese- this being average too. These days hotels normally offer a selection of teas; here they have a bowl of unwrapped tea bags (what flavour, brand who knows???)-another first for me. Needless to say the restaurant was served by more disinterested staff.
This has got to be one of the most frustraing stays I have ever had in a hotel. This should have been an excellent experience. Marriott charge a premium for their hotels which I think can normally be justified by a higher level of service and facilities. The grounds at Sprowston are meticulously maintained, the leisure facilities are good, and the hotel is clean. Where this hotel fails, and fails badly, is in customer service and attention to detail. It would appear that the management of this hotel are lacking the experience to run a hotel operating at this level. Small things are missing like signs- no signs in the gents changing rooms directing you to a door leading directly to the pool, no customer feedback forms, bath matt hidden between the shower curtains, no menus on the table at breakfast, no labeling of food and drinks on the buffet. OK there are 4 jugs of juice and a sign next to them stating 4 different flavours of fruit juice, but how do you know which one is in which???? This is not what I expect when I am paying a premium over other hotels in the area who do value customer service and do know how to run a hotel properly.
Perhaps I expected too much from this property, but for me, in the hospitality industry you have got to get the basics correct and the management team at Sprowston Manor do not.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Punders1
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

In a party of three from work, all booked double rooms. From three of us two us got twin room and one got a double. Asked why no doubles - "overbooked" I was told. Then upon getting to my room a lady rings up and states not over booked but no more double no smoking available - would i like to see another room. (As the hotel is in excellent surrounding and my view was garbage - I thought i change of room would be good - beds did not overly bother me as i was alone in my room)

Was shown a smoking room - on the top floor view loads better... hmm ok i'll have it.

Ate in the restraunt; food and service were good, only three tables taken in the restraunt, we wondered if the hotel really had no other rooms for us. For those thinking of booking the hotel is fairly remote (taxi or drive needed) so i would imagine most to be in the restraunt.

Breakfast the next morning was as expected and good.

The problem with the hotel rooms is the windows open 10cms MAX. and there is no air conditioning. The room was incrediably hot. I had very little sleep, there was also a continual droning. I was not the only one both my work colleagues complained at breakfast about the temperature and the droning noise. As the only purpose of the hotel is give a good nights rest - it failed hence a poor rating.

Upon check out before the course we were attending; when prompted was everything OK - I said about how hot it was in the room.... Nothing the check out staff just looked at me, after about 20 seconds of nothing and the staff just looking at me.. i broke the silence with well you cannot control the weather and she joined in saying it was hot. hmmmm... couldnt help but feel she was not interested.

I asked for the bill to bepresented differently (as work insist on each line inputted and sanctioned seperately) a one/two line bill would have been easier. Upon request a woman from no where swooped in saying it was hotel policy - strange i thought but could not be bothered to press the issue.

Interestingly the points and hotel stay on the Marriot reward points also did not accrue correctly, i gained less than third of the points i should have and gained no stays even though booked with Marriot.

All this said, the leisure facilities are good, a small pool and a steam room and sauna. The lack of people in the restraunt meant the two staff were very attentive. They have a good wine list and the grounds are excellent - from what i saw from the window.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Matt_StarAlliance
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews
Cromer Country Club
Cromer Country Club
#2 of 7 in Cromer

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!