“Recommend it!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Recommend it!”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Great stay. Receptionist was training a junior member of staff and really busy but nothing was too much trouble. She booked taxis, made calls on our behalf (we also went to see Rod Stewart at Carrow Rd and receptionist even called the stadium to find out what time he was on stage. As usual the ticket info stated a non helpful statement...doors open at 6pm. she arranged for our room to be available slightly earlier.
The room was good and the breakfast brilliant! Would certainly recommend the hotel and would stay there again. Only annoying thing was that I asked another receptionist for the General Manager to call me on checking out so I could praise the check in receptionist. He didnt call back so I hope she reads this!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had booked here last September because I had business in the area and we used Marriott points. I dreaded it but the experience was brilliant. This time the room (we used points again,) was much less accommodating. Room was smaller, two double beds instead of king. Service was ok not as great as last time. We only had breakfast there and that was always good English fare. We will return as I have more to do in the area but hope their hospitality improves. Admittedly we were booked in on a golf weekend but service was not as good.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dorset
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My husband booked to stay here and after reading some of the reviews I was slighty concerned to say the least, in fact we tried to book elsewhere but everywhere was booked up, I am now very pleased about that, the hotel is very nice, all the areas we used were very clean, the staff were all very friendly and our room was lovely, we had a studio suite and it was a good size and had everything we needed. When we booked in the receptionist could not have been more helpful, we were going to a concert so she booked us a taxi and gave us a card and advice on getting one home and also enquired the next day if we had had a good time. My only gripe is that wifi is way overpriced but despite that we will be returning to this hotel for a longer stay in the summer.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hopton on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I decided to take a one night stay at the hotel as a bit of a treat for the wife. This was more to do with the quiet out of town location and spa facilities on offer. I read earlier comments regarding the hotel, which are generally offer a mixed opinion. The hotel is set in a quiet area with a large golf course and clubhouse. The hotel is in good order and the rooms were well decorated and adequately equipped, hence I was a little surprised at earlier comments. I thought the rooms were very good and housed a very comfortable Queen size bed. However, the lack of temp control and no air con is something that lets it down. Fans are provided, although this hardly helps on a warm summers day in a generally stuffy hotel. The Spa facilities are very good and the gym, although small was well equipped. I found the staff all very helpful, courteous and polite. The lack of free wireless internet is something I was baffled at. Most hotels now offer this for free and at well over £100 a night, free internet should be included. We decided to take a meal in the hotel restaurant. They do offer an alternative dining experience in the club house, which apparently isn't too bad. The meal was very good and in my opinion offered good value for money. The menu is not too big but does offer some excellent choices. The only down side I had was that the staff seemed poorly trained and when quizzed on specific dishes did not have an answer of any kind.Perhaps a little picky but something I would expect a waitress to respond to. Overall, a pleasant stay but the room rates are too expensive, thankfully we managed to book at a discounted rate. They do offer special rates occasionally which includes spa treatments.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I am so disappointed with this hotel!

On arrival, the first thing you could see were the large amount of parked cars surrounding the entrance of the hotel, which you did'nt see on the website.

The hotel's reception was lovely so we had high hopes the rooms were going to follow suit.

But we couldnt of been more wrong, I thought the room we had been put in was a joke!

We were on the ground floor and It didnt look anything like the pictures on the website, the funiture looked 20 years old, the carpet was worn, bed sheets had black marks all over it, bathroom was dated. I could not believe it!!

To top it off, we were placed next door to a disabled toilet!! All night we could hear the fan going and the door banging from people using it.

Asked the staff whether we could be moved to another room but they saidd that there were'nt no rooms left, which was a lie as we checked the hotel's website.

Swimming pool was great!

Breakfast was average!

Location was good!

Staff were useless!

Room were disgusting!

£170 a night is not worth it, I would not go here ever again and I will be filing a complaint!!

So disappointed as this was for our 2 year anniversary!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Context / background:
I booked this hotel as a special 1 night getaway to celebrate my partners birthday. On marriotts website I was able to secure a good rate that included dinner & breakfast.

I made a note on the booking that we were celebrating a birthday & i did follow up by email the hotel a few days prior to our stay.

I am a Marriott Rewards Gold member.

Arrival:
The driveway approch to the hotel is impressive - its hard to believe you are so close to centre of Norwich, a tesco etc. From the outside the building is impressive.

The stay:
Front desk staff were very welcoming & confirmed the time of our dinner reservation.
We had booked a 'regular' room and as a marriott gold member you can often expect an upgraded room (this has worked well for me is USA before) I was thrilled to find out that on arrival we had been updraded to a 4 poster bed room.
It was a large room with a sofa, desk & chair, Armchair, Good size bathroom with Large soaking tub (room for 2) an obviously a 4 poster bed. There was also a small fridge and tea/coffee making facilities.
Bed linens were good quality and bed was comfortable.
Room was very quiet
A handwritten card was in the room along with a fruit bowl for my partner
Room was clean aprt from some marks on the carpet.

The details:
Its the little things that let the place down - there is a lack of attention to detail:
there was no milk/creamer to add to tea or coffee - No sugar either just sweetner.
There were no robes/dressing gowns in the room. (I called to request but was told "they werent back yet" - they arrived much later that evening)
The bathroom toiletries seemed a bit 'cheap' - shame when you have a luxurious bath available to you
2 people in the room but just 1 bottle of water in the room
As a thoughful touch a fruit bowl had been left for my partner but the handwritten card (a lovely touch) was placed in a random enevlope that did not match the card at all.

Leisure facilities:
Busy - but nice On arrival pool was busy with a lot of kids.
wooden loungers surround the pool its a nice space to spend some time
Most people has robes on (whereas our room, sorry suite had none!)
Pool & hot tub were nice & good temps.

Food:
I admit we had low expectation of 'hotel food' but dinner was included in the rate.
On arrival we were shown to our table & the waiter was friendly & helpful.
Bread with oil & balsamic arrived & was tasty.
Starters were uneven - Tuna was not to be recomended it seemed very fishy & not too fresh, another seafood starter was very good.
Mains were very good - the Lamb was beautifully tender & the seabass was very well prepared.
Dessert was yummy
Waiter (older gentleman) was attentive without being OTT - drinks were replenished and we had a very enjoyable meal.

Breakfast buffet offered a lot of choice. Eggs/omlettes to order were offered but were very greasy.
Table was very small and we struggled with space once a huge pot of tea arrived. Staff were friendly. Fruit was fresh, ripe & tasty.

If they could iron out some of the small missed details - this place could be really special.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ljn_uk
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The rooms are fine, but the staff is most of the times not polite nor helpfull. I have a diet and all I got at dinner were vegetables and fruit. No meat, fish, or anything else. I was at the reception to complaint, but the lady could not find the form to complaint.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Barnham Broom
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!