“Luxury hotel - overpriced food - would stay again”

Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sprowston
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Luxury hotel - overpriced food - would stay again”
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We booked last minute on the Friday night, for a saturday check in, room cost £248 including breakfast and dinner. Arrived and checked in straight away, all staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was gorgeous, we had a 1 bed suite with 4 poster bed, lounge area and double bath. Jets in the bath would have been an added bonus, not sure why this did not do this but anyway - still a nice bath.

We had a couple of minor niggles,

1. order a £21.50 bottle of champagne from room service, my partner signed for it and they had incorrectly charged us £39.00, I rang room service, they apologised and it was corrected immediately.

2. Our room rate included 'dinner'. We found at when we went into the restaurant that the dinner rate meant that we could either eat from the 4 course set menu (neither myself nor my partner liked 3 out of 4 courses so this was not an option), so instead we were able to order from the a la carte menu, we had a £25 allowance towards whatever we chose. There was no salmon, or chicken and only one veggie option, and for £28 I was not going to choose the vegetarian rissoto, so I reuqested salmon, new potatoes and veg that I had seen on the room service menu, this was only £15 (half the price of all other main courses). My partner chose fillet of beef with chunky chips and tomatoes, he like his meal but again it was certainly not worth the £28 it was priced at. When we had to sign for our meal they had forgotton to take the £25 x 2 off of our bill, I pointed this out and they quickly apologised and rectified.

3. On check out we had been incorrectly charged £10.95 for in room breakfaxt when we were on a room rate that included breakfast, again I pointed this out and they quickly apologised and rectified.

The three above errors could have cost me an extra £78 if I had not of noticed!!

All in all a beautiful hotel, gorgeous room, food quite nice but ridicously overpriced, food in a top london restaurant would be of similar pricing but ten times as good.

Would I go back - to a suite yes, to the restaurant no.

Perfect for a weekend chill out - really enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — luxury clean room
  • Disliked — overpriced food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jdvptraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We have stayed at this hotel several times now, before and after the rennovations and have to say it is one of my favourite hotels in the uk.

The food in the Manor restaurant can sometimes be a bit iffy but more often than not very good ( expensive tho )

The hotel staff have always been very attentive. however one almost irritating feature was that on my last stay they sent me an e-mail 3 days beforehand saying we are preparing your room and looking forward to you coming...... nice touch I suppose. The day before they phoned me to ask if their was anything extra they could do to help with our stay. Then 10 minutes after we checked in the room phone rang and it was the duty manager to check everything was ok..........Slight overkill maybe. But the staff do generally care.

The pool area is very nice. I cant comment on the spa , except my wife spent a fortune their... but did say it was excellent. Personally I would have expected her to come out looking 20 years younger for the money she spent :-)

The park and ride for Norwich city centre is just about within walking distance which is useful.

I often stay in Norfolk and this is always my first choice of hotel. I will be staying again

• Liked — Attentive staff, cleanliness. Very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — nothing springs to mind
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve_&_Nikki
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2007

Visited the hotel for a weekend (27-28/04). The hotel is under refurb, which I thought would be an inconvenience initially, but it turned out to be just fine. We checked in, and found out that the bedrooms were brand new (already refurbished).
The leisure facilities were fantastic, with a nice pool and fully equipped gym. Spent one evening at the driving range, and it turned out to be surpirsingly fun for us.
We had to wait to get into the Manor restaurant as we had not pre booked, but the staff in the bar was kind enough to engage in conversation, and we ended eating in the Gurney Bar for the first evening. The Manor's food and service was excellent the next day. A duty manager was also kind enough to explain us the renovation and offered us to show us around the refurbished area of the hotel. Overall, to all the travellers who seek peace of mind and attentive service, I would definately recommend the hotel if you were in the norfolk region for a weekend.

• Liked — The bed, the best bed i have ever slept in. The hotel called it the 'Marriott Revive Bed'
  • Disliked — No Aircondition, but the weather did not call for one. Plus the staff were more than happy to provide with any help necessary.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank therealshadyin
liverpool
Reviewed April 8, 2007

having stayed in this hotel for three nights, i can honestly say that i would probably have a much better time staying in a pig-sty! Having complained about the lack of air-con and rubbish food I was also offered Fruit!! What ever sort of compensation is that!I am also gobsmacked that someone has said how clean the hotel and pool was. there was mould around the tiles in the shower and hairs stuck around the nozzle of the shower head and in the plug hole. I also found the staff very rude and abrupt. I wonder where true English culture is being taken away and replaced with American garbage! Dont waste your money there is a de vere hotel about 30 minutes away!

• Liked — leaving it and going home!!
  • Disliked — absolutely everything!!
  • Stayed April 2007
durham
Reviewed March 13, 2007

stayed monday night as part of a business party of 20.
rooms are in process of renovation but even the older rooms are clean and comfortable-however workmen start at 7.30am so don't expect a lie in!
hotel and grounds are beautiful but too far out of Norwich city centre to allow easy sightseeing without use of a car.
only real problem was the food-extremely disappointing for an AA rosette award.Specifically the food tasted as if a salt cellar had been emptied over it!
most people who ordered the soup found it over salted and the vegetables for the main course also tasted as if they had been marinated in brine!
woke up in the middle of the night with a raging thirst-fortunately I had brought along a bottle of mineral water.

• Disliked — food
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank canadabound
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2007

This is a lovely hotel, no mistake about it. When I booked my room, I read the information regarding renovations, so I quote "Monday to Friday 8:30 to 5:30, with minimal disruption". Sitting in my lovely room at 6:30pm, listening to hammering and sawing that was head-splitting, I had to wonder about their definition of "minimal disruption" might be.
I called down and spoke to the duty manager, who came to my room and offered me fruit!!! Yes, fruit! Needless to say, when calling to complain about head-splitting noise, after the guaranteed finish time, I was expecting cessation, apology, refund, anything but FRUIT!
There is little doubt in my mind that this is a lovely resort, but I don't recommend staying here until the renovations are done and you can be sure you won't be subjected to "minimal disruption". There isn't enough headache medicine in all England for this!!!!

Marriott chain has some explaining to do. This is not a satisfactory Marriott experience, and certainly not what I've come to expect.

I am disappointed and feel as though I was misled when I booked.

• Liked — The location and physical plant are beautiful!!!
  • Disliked — Renovations that were understated when reservation made!!!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank brennee2004
UK
Reviewed March 8, 2007

We have just returned from this hotel and I am full of praise for the place, both in terms of comfort and staffing.
When you consider the price of a room to stay here is similar to one of those expensive, soul-less hotel chains where everything from the furniture to the food to the personnel are spookily similar then there really is no choice.
Food was great, a choice of 3 eateries, arriving late we chose the less formal restaurant which was nicely styled and had a carvery section in it, again the food was above average to many places.
The room was spacious, clean, quiet and had a comfy bed so again no complaints.
I had to leave early next morning for a work appointment but my wife stayed over and had breakfast in bed, again commenting on how nice it was and how good the staff were.
All in all it is a lovely place, with lots of nice touches, I hate stuck up places full of stuck up people pretending to be weekend millionaires and thought this place may attract a few of that type but didn’t, again another plus!
Try it, you might like it!

• Liked — characture
  • Disliked — the new block for some bedrooms
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sprowston
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Barnham Broom
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!