“Nothing wrong with this hotel!!!!”
Review of Exeter Court Hotel

Exeter Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennford
Wales, UK
“Nothing wrong with this hotel!!!!”
Reviewed March 16, 2009

I do not understand some of the previous reviews of this hotel - what are people looking for? I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and the USA, and this hotel is quite adequate in comparison to most in its price range and higher. Our room was quite small, but very comfortable and clean - we were not disturbed by noise from the traffic on the nearby road or anywhere else. The nearby garage was not open all night and was, in fact, very handy.
On arrival we were shown the restaurant and given a slip showing our room number, the times of all meals etc and at no time were the staff anything but pleasant. All rooms are at ground level which has many advantages, especially the fact that there can be no clumsy, heavy footed, furniture moving guests above you!!
Breakfast was far from the best I've ever tasted, but was edible and adequate. We did not sample the evening menu or the bar meals.
It is not the sort of hotel I would choose if I enjoyed holidaying in one spot, but if you are in the area to see many of the delightful local sights, you could not find a better location. As well as nearby Exeter, it's an easy drive to Torbay, Plymouth, Teignmouth, Dartmoor, Bodmin and parts of Somerset, to name but a few.
I would definitely consider using this hotel again, and cannot believe I was almost persuaded to cancel when I read some of the reviews!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suephils

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Ireland
Reviewed March 7, 2009

I normally wouldn't bother to write a hotel review online but feel compelled to write one here having read all of the unfavourable reviews, which did not reflect the experience I had.

I stayed at this hotel for a single night. The location is convenient to the A38, its a bit out of time but it was good for my purposes. Everything seems to be recently refurbished, the reception/bar/restaurant areas were quite nice as were the rooms, if a little on the small side. Everything was clean and nicely decorated, it was quiet and comfortable, the bar food was reasonable, the breakfast was good, I didn't interact much with the staff but they were helpful and friendly when I did.

Not exactly 5 star treatment either but for a 49 quid roadside hotel, what would you expect? Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank moigno
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I booked this hotel for a single night on business because it was close to the M5. I subsequently read the reviews and was horrified, but had already paid ! As a woman alone I was worried and I almost didnt go.
However, I have to say that I found the receptionist very helpful when I made the booking, and also when I checked in. It was the same woman for both. The room was more than adequate, and the bed was clean if a little hard. The bathroom was pleasant, and there was a tea tray containing the usual items. As I would expect for £49 really.
The hotel is close to the dual carriageway, but noise from the road is minimal. There is a Shell garage next door to the site, but I did not hear any particular noise from this. The most noise came from the fire doors in the hotel, as other guests came and went.
There is a restaurant, and bar which serves snacks. I ate in the bar, which has a wood burner at one end, and Sky. Some effort has been made to make the bar look comfortable and welcoming. The restaurant looked plesant enough, and seemed to be newly refurbished. The service was very good in the bar, as the staff were friendly, and the food was pleasant. Again what you would expect in this type of hotel.
I did not stay for breakfast.
This is certainly not a hotel to spend your summer holiday, however, it was pleasant enough for an overnight stop, and very convenient for the motorway.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Only stayed for a night. First room had problems so got moved. Second room was just OK but bathroom door was warped & wouldn't shut & TV couldn't pick up all channels. Breakfast was mediocre . Accomodation is in a motel style block away from main building & has a view of petrol station . Couldn't recommend as have stayed at better hotels in the area for much the same cost.

• Liked — Nothing in all honesty
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
essex
Reviewed October 12, 2008

My husband stayed here with a group and i needed to contact him in an emergency and i couldnt get hold of him on his mobile. The staff on reception were disgusting. They did not even try to track him down. I consistently rang all evening and the girl on reception was totally unhelpful and then i spoke to a man who could barely speak english and he told me to ring in the morning!!!! I explained it was an emergency and he kept repeating "open in morning". AAgh it was so frustrating and disgusting customer service. Very unprofessional and from what ive heard very dirty hotel.

• Stayed October 2008
Wales
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I would not recommed this hotel. It is basically a tatty gross motel. Our room stank of stale smoke, even though it was no smoking. When we checked in we were not given any details of when and where breakfast was. Overall we were really disappointed as it looked like a nice hotel on the website.

• Liked — Easy to find
  • Disliked — Grotty, smelt of smoke, bad service.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Bangor
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in a twin room. Must be the smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in. Nowhere to put suitcase and no room on desk. Bathroom was adequate and had a good shower. 2 lights weren't working and weren't fixed after reporting fault. Window design meant that we had to close it at night so room was stuffy.
Breakfast was OK, nothing special.
Price was about right and hotel is in a good position, easy to find.

• Liked — convenience to family
  • Disliked — size of rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennford
The Devon Hotel
#11 of 31 in Exeter
Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel
Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge

Been to Exeter Court Hotel? Share your experiences!