“Disappointing”
Review of Exeter Court Hotel

Exeter Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennford
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I would not recommed this hotel. It is basically a tatty gross motel. Our room stank of stale smoke, even though it was no smoking. When we checked in we were not given any details of when and where breakfast was. Overall we were really disappointed as it looked like a nice hotel on the website.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in a twin room. Must be the smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in. Nowhere to put suitcase and no room on desk. Bathroom was adequate and had a good shower. 2 lights weren't working and weren't fixed after reporting fault. Window design meant that we had to close it at night so room was stuffy.
Breakfast was OK, nothing special.
Price was about right and hotel is in a good position, easy to find.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2008

my friend and i were very happy with our room ,very light & airy with a large window ( the shower was a bit slow ) but other than no faults at all , reception lovely , staff all friendly & helpful & wonderful breakfast , will definately stay there again!

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Room was good, so was the food. Slow service for breakfast (we were in a group). No bulb on the left side of the bed. Two telephones in the room; which one to answer? Light on the mirror in the bathroom was broken and the sink needed a repair. We informed the desk, but nothing was done.

Whe we asked the waiter for a toothpick after breakfast; he answered "tomorrow"!!!

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed May 9, 2008

We stayed here in a double room for 2 nights. The desk staff were friendly and the place was clean. It is definitley not as posh as the website might lead you to believe, and the room was only just big enough for the double bed and our 1 suitcase, but our experience with this hotel was fine overall. The best part of our stay was the amazing AquaLisa power shower. The worst part was the bed which felt a bit like we were sleeping on uneven stacks of newspaper, along with the lumpy pillows. It was also a bit noisy with doors slamming in the corridor and the car park directly outside the window. This meant two restless nights and two crook necks. Foodwise, after hiking all day in the National Park, we were too lazy to venture very far for dinner and decided to give the hotel food a try. The TV was ridiculously loud in the bar so we opted for the more expensive restaurant for a peaceful meal and were not disappointed. The food was yummy and the service was pleasant. All things considered, nice food and nice staff but we like our sleep and will probably try a different hotel next time we're in the area.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I stayed here for two nights with a colleague on business. I would say that the accommodation is acceptable if a little tired round the edges. On the first night we decided to eat in the restaurant and were glad that we had a sense of humour. We immediately noticed that the menu was different than the copy in our rooms and was not as comprehensive or affordable. My first choice of starter was not available so I selected “Crispy duck in raspberry sauce”, it did not sound appealing but I did not fancy anything else. When this arrived it was chunks (i.e. not crispy) of duck breast with what was clearly watered down raspberry jam… it was quite disgusting! I had also ordered pork but what I received was four of the smallest cuts of pork I have ever seen but this was much better than the lamb which my colleague had. The Lamb looks to have been placed on the pan and left; one side was black and solid, and the other raw. On each plate the veg was old and had been re-boiled. Throughout the whole meal I was expecting Gordon Ramsey to come out of the kitchen when filming an episode of “Kitchen Nightmares”. On the second night we went to a pub up the road in the village of Kennford called the Ley Arms which was excellent and far cheaper.
When checking out I was presented with a bill for bar food, which I have not used. Once this was amended I was told that the bill had been paid although I was told when I booked that they would not take anything from the card details I had given but by now I was tired (the heating turns off at night and it was a cold night) and accepted this and left. Don’t think I shall be back!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank pinger
Reviewed March 27, 2008

I stayed at this hotel just for one night on business. I was extremely worried as I had read some really bad reviews about the hotel however they have just refurbished the hotel (still working on the last bits) and everything was just fine. The staff are very pleasant, the room was a bit on the small side, but adequate, the new shower is a super power shower and is just about the best shower I have experienced in a hotel. I think because the hotel had been run down and had bad reviews, they are really trying to make an impression and offered us a special deal on a 3 course meal for £10 - it was great food and would have cost in the region of £20-£25. Breakfast was amazing - a really good cooked breakfast with other options to choose from, the fresh fruit salad was brilliant, all freshly made with strawberries, kiwi and banana - a bit different to the normal boring fruit salad. The staff in the restaurant, although very pleasant, could be heard chatting out in the kitchen and they weren't aware when people were coming in and waiting a long time to order food. We didn't have this problem but did observe that others were affected by this. I do agree with the comments about the security - they really do need to update their door locks. I would stay here again for 1 or 2 nights - rooms aren't really big enough for longer than that.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Addict
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennford
Holiday Inn Express Exeter
The Devon Hotel
#3 of 31 in Exeter
Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel
Best Western Exeter Lord Haldon Country Hotel

Been to Exeter Court Hotel? Share your experiences!