“Nice place, not bad, mixed experience”
Review of Exeter Court Hotel

Exeter Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kennford
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel is really convenient if you want a quick stop-over but is hardly a classy place, a romantic venue or haute cuisine destination. It is just off the A38 south of Exeter and very easy to find.

There is tons of parking, a fuel station right in front - and a nice bar. The exterior area is poor if the weather is nice and you would like to sit outside for a drink. Picnic tables on a soulless concrete patio. Motel rather than hotel.

If you stay here you can head for the Ley Arms in Kenn which is a 2 minute drive or 10 minute walk from this hotel down a country lane. The Ley Arms is in a beautiful tiny village, serves great food and real ales: and has a decent garden. And the barmaid is totally gorgeous.

At the Exeter Court Hotel, food is suspiciously fast - prepared well in advance. Breakfast was dried up and not special. Supper was cheap, delivered minutes after I ordered, and was adequate at best. If I was paying myself I would have been disappointed. I saw a well-heeled German couple enter the dining room and order supper and I wanted to jump in and say "NO! Go down the road to The Ley Arms! That is the real English experience!" But I knew they would think I was mad. So I watched their growing disillusionment as they experienced 'British' cuisine. The best a microwave can offer.

I got talking to a guy in the bar: I mentioned the lovely pub nearby and he said "Oh - I have been coming here for years and I have never explored the local area!" He sits in the bar all night. Living the dream! I got on google and within minutes checked out the local area.

The hotel room was very small but again - adequate. The bed was very comfortable indeed, one of the best I have experienced. Firm enough but not too firm, soft enough without being unsupportive. Goldilocks would have been very happy with it.

Service at the bar was sporadic: they did a good impression of being deaf and blind: you needed to really make your presence known in order to get served. Professional blindness and deafness is a really annoying trait in bar staff. Shout at them and wave your arms, if necessary.

I did manage to somehow lock myself out of my room, late at night (NEVER put those flaming electronic access key cards anywhere near your mobile phone as it wipes them clean!!) and the place was in darkness. I called the number from my phone (thinking I was in for a night sleeping in the car) and the guy came out and let me into me room. That was good service, great service as he must have been in his bunk and snoozing. For that they deserve an extra star.

Needs must - but choose somewhere else if it's a special occasion.

Room Tip: Not much in it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip and I found the staff to all be extremely friendly and helpful.

The bar is charming and the food is very impressive for a hotel.

The rooms are small, but have all the facilities required and the tv has freeview and its has unlimited free wifi.

It has adequate parking and is very close to the motorway but with no noise from it and beautiful countryside views.

I would happily recommend this hotel to someone in the area for a short stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RebeccaF290
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

We arrived mid afternoon and were greeted well, the rooms are small more like a motel than a hotel. We entered the bar at 5.15ish had a pre meal drink and all was well 4 or 5 people in the bar and pleasant UNTIL 2 coach loads of Exeter Uni students turned up-they had a separate room however decided to take over the residents bar we were unable to get to the bar other residents who were foreign left due to the foul language,the noise and even one of them shouting zieg Heil in front of se Germans. We then complained to no avail the so called female manager turned up and was next to useless, we eventually were offered a free round of drinks or we should move into an empty room we declined and got offered a free drink, all of the other residents then left at 8ish as they had enough of this group. We again complained at reception however as these students were buying bottles of wine like it was going out of fashion and that meant profitability for the hotel they clearly didn't care about the paying guests so in summary forced out of the bar and restaurant and back to our pokey room at 9.30. Whilst walking back to our room we then caught one of the students peeing outside the reception area - what a disgrace of a hotel stay at your own peril but don't expect assistance from. The staff except the barmaid who was genuinely sorry

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank David S
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel which I would class as a motel rather than a hotel. Our room was small but more than adequate and we had everything we needed. The bar area was a nice place to have a drink and a meal after a long drive. Although there was a Wedding in another room in the hotel, as well as a coach load of German tourists, we didn't have to wait long for our food. Breakfast, likewise, our order was taken and arrived immediately we had finished our cereal and, again, despite there being a coach load of tourists, it all ran very smoothly. It was pretty cold when we arrived and the heating wasn't working in our room and this was rectified within the hour. Throughout our stay, the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. You can walk to the local village which was pleasant in the late afternoon sunshine. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in and around Exeter over the last few years and had no problem heading straight back to Exeter Court Hotel (despite it being out on the A38 and about 20 minutes drive to town), as others have said, the style and layout is of a Motel (as some of my pics should show) and there are always plenty of parking spaces allowing you to park fairly close to your room. I chose the Aston suite again as I love the extra space and quality but cheaper than a standard room at a Holiday inn and you get a full English breakfast included! The good thing about a motel style is you have no one walking around above your room so none of that squeaking floor boards irritation and I had no noise at all from other rooms or the road. Staff on arrival were friendly and I received clear instructions on where my room was and dinner and breakfast times. Dinner menu looked OK but I was too tempted to go out across town to my favourite Indian restaurant. My room was very clean and tidy and the power shower is amazing! The King-size bed is very comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. Breakfast the next morning was served promptly with a choice of cereals and a full English, all very tasty but I could do with slightly more, perhaps 2 rashers of bacon and not just the one! I hope I return to Exeter as I would like to come back here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a lot of trouble finding this hotel - the address given by Booking.com was not accurate and we ended up in a re-cyling yard at the end of a one-way road . Eventually finding our way to the hotel, reception told us lots of people get lost trying to find it.

This is a modestly large country motor inn (in North America we'd call it a motel). The rooms are acceptably sized and the bathrooms adequate if a trifle dated. We lost TV signal on the first night but it was fixed for us the next evening.

Breakfast service was a bit slow but food quality was very good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Staying here overnight we were greeted by a very helpful and friendly receptionist who gave us plenty of information about the hotel. This was more of a motel, with single story rooms set out around a large car park. We were very impressed by the size and decor of our 'suite.' There was a good size sofa at one end. The bed was very large and comfortable. There was more than enough storage space. The bathroom was roomy too, with a great shower. However the down side was a rather unpleasant smell that was detected seemingly when the fan was used following longer periods of non - use. At breakfast we waited a long time to be seated by the staff and had another long wait before our order was taken. The cooked food then arrived quickly but at most was fairly ordinary. Tea and coffee were self- service from large pump jugs. Individual pots would have been nicer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennford
Jurys Inn Exeter
#4 of 31 in Exeter
Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Hotel Buckerell Lodge
#24 of 31 in Exeter

Been to Exeter Court Hotel? Share your experiences!