Just back from a long weekend at Casiero del Mirador with hubby and little one (18 months) and did not want to return. I can’t praise the hotel and owners (Sarah and Johnny) enough; it was just so so easy it actually felt like a holiday. I’ve been a bit torn writing this review between wanting to shout from the roof tops (as it rightly deserves) or keeping it my little secret so it doesn’t get too busy! In all seriousness, if you’re in any doubts at all about booking this hopefully this review will put you straight.
So, I travel A LOT and have travelled all over the world by a variety of means. I would consider myself well-travelled & I even work in the travel industry, but for some reason travelling abroad with a baby/toddler just brought me out in a rash. It was only as hubs had to go away for business that we decided to make a long weekend of it. Any fears I had about being away were banished the moment we arrived at the hotel and the whole break just got better.
Cdm is located about 1.5 hours from Alicante and the journey in the hire car was really easy – tip, allow time and a bit of frustration fitting your hire car seat. Recommend bringing your own if possible. Once of the main roads, you head through a few small towns and villages, then up a hill to Cdm. Follow the signs to the Donkey Sanctuary and you’ll be fine.
Accommodation is in one of 5 apartments all part of the one big house. The apartments all have their own private entrance, living space, bathroom, cooking area and outside area (terrace & 1 with balcony). They do feel incredibly private despite all being part of the one house and actually being part of the one house is nice as you don’t feel like you’re stuck out on a limb.
We had a lovely 1 bed apartment, which had everything that we needed – cot, highchair, changing mat, nappies, wipes, baby monitor. DS was kept happy with a box of toys (owners think ahead and provide stuff that is just the right level) hubbie was happy with the wi-fi and I was happy with the view! There is a little hob, & fridge and you’re greeted with a welcome pack full of tea, coffee, wheat-a-bix, bread, biscuits and the fridge has proper milk in it. That’s really all you need worry about, because other meals come provided by Sarah the owner – who popped down shortly after we arrived with dinner and wine. Including a special toddler meal for DS. What’s not to like??
Next day we were greeted with fresh croissants and as we ate breakfast we regretted not booking for longer. We spent that day mooching around the grounds admiring the views, DS enjoyed the ride-on toys and the climbing frame and swing. Oh and feeding the resident pigs and goats was a big highlight! There is a lovely shared pool at the hotel and plenty of space to catch some sun – alas in Feb it was a tad too chilly!
Dinner on our second night was a communal job with the other guests, which actually works really well. After DS had his supper with the other kids (I’ve never see him tuck in so well) we popped him to bed & just walked up stairs for our dinner and perhaps a little too much wine. You can choose to have your meals delivered which if I was there for a week I probably would do once – who say’s romance is dead! Two nights a week the kitchen is closed, which is a great excuse to head down to the local restaurants
Next day we wanted to head out to the beach so Sarah and Johnny made sure we were armed with a map and recommendations on where to eat, and a basket with beach mat, buckets, spades, ball etc, I think there was even some sun screen packed for us! It was probably about 30/40 minutes to a beach. Lovely family friendly beach with restaurants right on the promenade, little play areas and then sand – no roads to cross. Again the drive there was super easy and fab lunch too.
I would absolutely recommend this property to anyone travelling with babies or toddlers. I really can’t think of a nicer place to spend some time. It’s like going to stay with very good friends: everything you need is there & the owners are great company (but don’t follow you around). As parents themselves they know what you’re going through and didn’t bat an eye-lid when food flying from DS plate across the floor, or he hit one of his tantrums – in fact, I think they just filled up my wine! Everything you need is there – buggies, back-packs, monitors, toys, high chairs etc & if they don’t have it or you’ve got some random requests, they’ll sort it out for you.
When DS was 6 months we stayed at Center Parcs, which was lovely and also v baby friendly, but this felt much more like a holiday, for reasons I can’t quite put my finger on. I think it was something to do with the Mediterranean way of life, the sun, the fact that we were “away” from the UK whatever it was, we loved it and we’ve already booked to go back for a week this summer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Child friendly holidays in Spain- A country retreat with magnificent views to the Mediterranean. Discover one of the finest child friendly holiday destinations in Europe. Set amongst peaceful olive and almond terraces in rural Spain, Caserío del Mirador is ideally suited for child friendly, toddler friendly and baby friendly holidays. The family run country retreat is the creation of Johnny and Sarah Robinson and was inspired and influenced by their experience of their travels with and without children. It is a shared home, a place where people can relax and be together to give a warm and friendly atmosphere. The dramatic setting often makes an impact when guests first arrive, the terraces, gardens and grounds give a wonderful sense of space. There are lots of play areas for the children and pet animals to meet. The house is designed to have generous, comfortable family friendly accommodation, and the breathtaking views will give you a sense of magic the moment you arrive. We love Spain, the people, the food, the landscape, the Mediterranean and of course the beautiful weather. It is perfect for holidays with babies and toddlers and in the cooler months walking amongst what must be one of the most beautiful landscapes in Europe. We welcome you to Caserío del Mirador, where we hope you will discover for yourself why this is such a special place to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Caserio del Mirador reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caserio Del Mirador Hotel Jalon
- Caserio Del Mirador Spain/Jalon