“Fantastic Restaurant & Meal!”

Al Gatto Nero Da Ruggero
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Burano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We came upon this place by chance yesterday afternoon in Burano, no reservations or had even heard of it before. Even though it was quite busy, we were assured they would get us a table outside, a beautiful day, and came back with a glass of prosecco for both of us. We were seated in about 10 minutes. The gentleman, whom I assume was in charge, even took our order and waited on us because of how busy it was. He was pleasant and helpful the whole time, and even deboned our fabulous mixed, grilled fish...turbot, sea bass, langoustine, and cuttlefish. That, and the Risotto a la Burano, (unbelievable!) made for a meal we will never forget. Molte Grazie!

1  Thank Larry R

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and I DID MAKE RESERVATIONS for this restaurant - months in advance and we were still treated rudely - MAX. I notice you pay attention to these ratings and I hope you will learn to take responsibility for your attitude rather than blaming your customers for your rudeness (as you seem to do in your responses).

The setting is beautiful (right on the canal) and the food is actually delicious so if you don't mind being treated like dirt by an arrogant maitre de then this is worth it. There are plenty of options however so keep that in mind.

3  Thank Daniel A
orada, Direttore at Al Gatto Nero Da Ruggero, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

terrible arrogant service uuuuuuu what a shame attention please to everybody that read this its always the same person writing this

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We actually didn't eat here so I can't comment on the food. We had never heard of this restaurant before and came across it as we wandered around Burano. It looked nice, there seemed to be tables available inside and out so we waited for about 10 minutes to inquire about seating for 4.
Our presence was not even acknowledged, even though several waiters were moving past us in and out of the restaurant. They were clearly expert at avoiding eye contact, so we left. We would have been happy to come back a little later, or even to have been turned away in a courteous manner, but they did not even bother to do that. We then found a nice little restaurant away from the crowded main 'street' and had a delightful meal there instead, so I guess they did us a service in the long run.

7  Thank Chris U
orada, Direttore at Al Gatto Nero Da Ruggero, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

you didnt eat here so?
what are you talking for

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I too had a similar experience as indicated in a recent posting. I would also like to point out that the manner in which the owner's son responds to customers is very telling and inappropriate. I visited this establishment a few days ago and went through the same song and dance with the owner's son, although at that time I did not know it was his son so I brushed it off as a rude employee. This individual is extremely arrogant, has no customer service/hospitality skills and spawns a disgusting filthy sense of entitlement. Given my interaction and those I observed this person does not understand how hard it is to get customers and is clearly sponging off something someone else created. I had the spaghetti in meat sauce - pasta was not homemade and not seasoned same for the meat sauce. Often times the simplest dish is the hardest to make - this was the case. Given the above don't bother with this restaurant.

8  Thank -christian_skoal-
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We just rocked up without booking ahead and the Scottish sounding owner welcomed us warmly. We ate a lovely meal outside and drank too much wine! A lovely man and a lovely restaurant with superb food! Well done!