“Another Excellent Trip to the Desert”

Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort by Anantara
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamim
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My family, which includes 2 boys, 11 and 5, and my parents from Texas who are in their 80's, visited Qasr al Sarab April 10-12, 2014. This was my second trip to the 'jewel of the desert' with the first trip taking place in November 2011. The family loved it the first time and we did not have a letdown this trip even though the temperatures soared to 45 (113) during the day (I would recommend Nov-Mar for the temperatures, but the rates are higher). The evenings were pleasant and we enjoyed a great alfresco dinner at Ghader, the Mediterranean restaurant by the beautiful pool. The breakfast buffet is also elaborate with special order omelets and eggs benedict available, which made my Dad very happy. The pool has a beautiful view over the 300m high sand dunes and was very refreshing in the 45 degree heat. The swim up pool bar made the weather even more tolerable. The highlight of the trip, however, was the dune bashing excursion we took at sunset with Mohamad. He had us all (yes, my 86 year old Dad went, too) screaming and laughing on a 30 minute ride that was better than any roller coaster ride you could take. Thank goodness Mohamad took a break after the first 15 minutes to give us a chance to catch our breath and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Liwa desert dunes. At the end of the exhilarating ride, we had Arabic coffee and tea in the dunes while we watched the sun set over the magnificent dunes. It was a trip my Dad and I will never forget, nor my two boys. The service was impeccable as expected from an Anantara property. The camel ride is a bit "touristy", but, if you have never experienced riding a camel, then it is worth the time to try it (just hold on when the camel gets up!). The cost is pricey, but it costs a lot to run a 5 star resort, 7kms off the road in the middle of one of the biggest deserts in the world. Try it, you'll love it!

Room Tip: We love the Deluxe Terrace room for the four of us with roll away beds for the boys (beds are extra...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
PAB77, General Manager at Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort by Anantara, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear JeffDealy,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. We are all, but especially Mohamad, very happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We hope we will have another chance to welcome you to our desert paradise.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort by Anantara

Reviewed May 16, 2014

What a unique place the Qasr Al Sarab is !!!
My husband and I booked this hotel for total relaxation and the quality associated with Anantara, neither disappointed.
Fantastic rooms,service superb, food excellent, pool awesome.
We hired a car in Dubai and it was an easy drive about 3 hrs the last part was spectacular driving through the dunes to the hotel, so there are no worries getting there.( no 4x4 needed roads are great)
In all a great stay in an amazing place with great staff.
Thanks to all.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Cindy E,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and we are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the facilities and services we have to offer.
We hope we will have another chance to welcome you to another amazing desert experience.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We had a lovely one night stay at the resort last weekend. We took my husband's mum and our 20 month old toddler.

We ate our dinner in the main buffet restaurant and the food really was superb quality. Sometimes buffet restaurants can lack finesse and quality - but this certainly wasn't the case.

The pool is great and the children's pool is very good - completely shaded. The "sunshine butlers" are all very helpful and nice.

If you have a buggy - there are a LOT of stairs. We found an easier ramped route by chance - would be good if this was signposted, or you were shown when you arrive.

My husband and mother-in-law did the sunset camel trek. The guides were very professional and knowledgeable. They took some amazing photos!

The resort is very big - so breakfast at the main restaurant was a little crowded and busy - but there were plenty of waiters to look after everyone.

All in all, we had a wonderful one nights stay. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Emily O,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Anantara Qasr al Sarab! We are very happy to learn that you and your family, but especially your toddler enjoyed your holiday with us.
Now we hope we will get another chance to welcome you to our desert paradise.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed at this property with friends to celebrate my birthday over a weekend and had a really nice experience.
After a long drive in the desert, we arrived at the property and had the feeling of being really looked after. When escorted to our room, we mentioned that we loved coffee and needed some ice cubes. No later than 5 minutes later, additional Nespresso coffee capsules and an ice bucket were delivered to our room.
Food & beverage were very qualitative (with the exception of the Caesar salad that contained much too much garlic to my taste). Excellent buffet breakfast, and dinner at Suhail the steakhouse was simply delicious.
The gym facilities were nice and the swimming pool really impressive, given the fact that the property is in the middle of the desert.

Room Tip: It is particularly nice to stay in a room with balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Traveler in style1,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Anantara Qasr al Sarab! I am very happy to read that your birthday was a success and that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We will have a look at the Ceasar Salad and ensure that the correct recipe is used.
Now we hope we will get another chance to welcome you to our desert paradise.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

How Can I start this review?
Arrived on the 24th of April 2014 my wife and I traveled from Abu Dhabi Hiring a Car from Avis and driving to the beautiful Hotel, located in the empty quarter of the desert, our stay was from the 24th of April till the 7th of May
First impression are always the best, we left the E65, on our journey from the bottom gate the entrance to a long beautiful winding road that would take us to that castle in the sand (Qasr Al Sarab) a nice easy pace taking in the different colours of the wind formed dunes, (noting that, some people enjoy the winding road a little bit more them others) But I would recommend that you take your time and absorb the beauty of the sands that will lead you to peace and tranquility,
We arrived at the main door of Qasr to a very warm welcome from the vallet parking, who gave me a ticket from the car and took out the luggage saying please, we will deliver your bags to your room, I did wonder how this would happen as I didn’t know which room I was allocated but the bags did turn up before me,
Reception was great, they gave my wife and I a welcome drink, made from dates and yogurt, very tasty
Ask to seat in the waiting area which is nice while everyone runs around doing you check in, I did find this very complicated but this is there system, and it does work.
We were taken to our room by a golf type buggy, we had booked a deluxe room with a view and they sure did deliver, we looked over the desert dunes which seemed to go on forever, there was a nice little garden and grass yes grass in the desert that lead from the terrace,
The Room
WOW The room was big the bath room was bigger a bath that could fit a rugby 15, the bed that I could not find my wife in, I would need to stretch out my arms just to see if my wife was still there, the room was clean and well maintained, only problem that I could see, or should I say my wife could see, was there was nowhere for my wife to plug in here hair straighter with a mirror close by.
Food.
Dinning was of a normal standard the best place to eat was either the Suhil or the Al Liwan down stairs, the Suhil upstairs was a fair price, and the steak was good on the both occasion’s that my wife and I dinned there, I found that the buffy dinner at the Al Waha was well over priced, and poor
The in room dinning was great apart from the food came on a tray and there was no table to set you food out, so you had to juggle clear the desk, put main course there, then set the little table on the terrace for you appetizer just not enough room for salt and pepper, once finished clear and start again, but I must say that the in room dinning the food is very good.

Room Tip: Must have desert view
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort by Anantara, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear happy2Cairo,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at Anantara Qasr al Sarab.

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us; even so you mentioned some shortcomings on the culinary side of the hotel. Be rest assured that those comments are taken serious and will be discussed within the team.

Thank you again for the review and we hope to be able to be at your service again soon.

With warm regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our 3 night stay was to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. The weather was not good on the day we arrived (sand) and had been poor for 3 days so we could not see the setting on arrival as we hoped. The room/suite was huge and really comfy. On waking the next morning the sky had cleared, the sun was out and the views spectacular. The food throughout our stay was very good especially the breakfast. The rooftop restaurant (suhail) was good but our favourite was the Ghadeer (which I believe also cooks for dining by design). Although going to relax, which we did, we managed to do the archery, sunrise camel trek and husband the dune bashing whilst I spent time in the spa. The desert and colours in the sand are truly amazing. For our anniversary we had the romantic "dining by design' in the desert which was lovely despite the chill/wind that evening. All in all a trip to remember in a stunning, luxurious location. I absolutely loved the 'rose' cocktail served in the lounge bar and still remember watching the sun set as I sipped it slowly! All in all expensive but worth it for a special occasion.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Majicou

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after you recent visit at Anantara Qasr al Sarab!

We are very happy to learn that you have enjoyed your anniversary with us; especially the Ghadeer Team is very proud to receive such nice comments.

Thank you very much once again for your visit and we sincerely hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to our desert paradise.

With warm regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Spent Christmas with my family there. It was amazing, with the best views, great food, great service, and fun activities. Best part is they have a play room for the children with blown-up slides and plenty of toys. Christmas dinner was delightful and drinks at night by the outdoor bar was mystical. The rooms were spacious, clean, and beautifully decorated with lamps and wooden furniture.

Room Tip: Get rooms facing the desert, best view ever.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for reviewing us on Trip Advisor and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your Christmas with us. Please do contact me directly should you wish to visit us again in the future.

Thank you very much once again.

Patrick Both

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamim
Hilton Garden Inn Ras Al Khaimah
#1 of 7 in Umm Al Quwain
No photo provided
Paragon Hotel Apartments
#18 of 32 in Abu Dhabi

Been to Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort by Anantara? Share your experiences!