“Average Hotel, Great Location”

Railay Princess Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Well, this place is not totally bad. The location is great, and some of the rooms (building one and two) are fine, although the rooms in buildings 3 - 6 are pretty bad, and the food is pretty good. The service on the other hand, woof. Their wait staff need a serious course in remedial customer service. More about the room: our room was pretty disappointing. The bathroom was borderline gross and had missing tiles and a shower worthy of my college dorm. The room itself would have been fine, if there had been some light. All we had were two tiny IKEA bedside lamps that were a joke. So, this place will not be the best place you stay in your life, but it is a five minute stroll from a great beach, and you will eat well, whenever your food arrives.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RPH80
There are newer reviews for Railay Princess Resort and Spa

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked this hotel for last December at Booking.com since I had planned to go to Krabi and I had heard amazing things about Railay beach. However, because of changes in my flight to get there, I had to cancel the reservation. When I booked, there was a note saying that I would have free cancel UNTIL 10th December, I tried to do so on the 9th several times, but Booking.com website was not finalizing the cancelation. Since UNTIL means including 10th, I kept trying, but was not so worried about, I was sure that I was in time. Finally I managed to cancel the reservation when turned midnight (from 9th to 10th), actually exactly 12:02 and Railay Princess charged me 106,00 USD for two minutes. I contacted the Resort and Booking.com, however none of them assumed this fee, even if the website did not work and if the information given by Railay Princess was not accurate. I even decided to reschedule the flight and arrive there as was planned in order to not be charged this fee, asked the Resort to forget about the cancelation and they said that I could book again, but they still would charge me the cancelation fee plus the fee of the new reservation. I found it a lack of respect with the consumer, both by Railay Princess and also by Booking.com. I would not recommend any of them for sure, for the lack of assistance of Booking.com and also the fact that Railay simply took advantage of the consumer.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Dayana A
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We would have given this hotel a rating of 4out of 5 but for the place looking incomplete.

Both pools are really beautiful the one with the bar was my favourite.

Our room was clean and comfortable so no complaints there.

Breakfast was average.

Railay is really beautiful a must see if you are in the Krabi area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I are used to traveling on a budget but thought we would splurge for a weekend getaway in Railay. That being said, we were more critical of this resort due to it being more than we would usually pay and expecting more in return. We were disappointed to find that our room (not bathroom, but room) smelled of sewage anytime we used the sink in the bathroom. The room could have been cleaner, though it did not bother us as much since we're usually budget travelers. The view of the mountain from the room was mediocre and we wished they had put us in a room with a better view considering that the hotel was not full. The construction seemed to be complete and the newer parts appeared beautiful from the outside as well as the main entrance. The transport from the airport was a breeze (though required three modes of transportation but was still fairly simple and straightforward), though I thought it was quite expensive at 1,500THB one-way. The breakfast "buffet" was average and I would have really preferred a greater variety from a self-proclaimed resort and spa hotel. The staff were split between being really friendly or really quite rude, especially when I asked if a cappuccino would cost extra when they were taking our breakfast drink orders (it does). The large towels at the pool were a nice touch as well as the poolside service. Overall, would not stay here again as the value for the money just wasn't there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs or in the newer building (hopefully not as stinky)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jaimelthornton
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The good:
The hotel is conveniently located near the beach and walking street. It is moderately nice and although the room I stayed in was quite dark, it was equip with all the standard amenities and was pretty comfortable. The back pool is stunning, and the breakfast is decent.
The bad:
The room, especially the bathroom, was not clean, and the minibar was not restocked when I arrived.
The stinky:
I was unaffected by all of the construction that the hotel is currently undergoing, however the entire place stinks of sewage, which I found impossible to ignore. The stench permeated my room day and night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jblaize
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in December 2013. Arriving here wasn't the best of experiences! After arriving at the port, we were taken in a bus which squeezed too many people in hot temperatures....fortunately the majority of travellers got off within a few minutes. We were then dropped off to a pier to board a long tail boat which dropped us in the waters at railay east. They didn't take the boat to the jetty so we had to walk through soggy mud/sand in the water with our luggage. As horrible as it felt at the time, it did actually give you a nice 'village living' experience.

Upon arrival at the hotel, it did take some time before our room was available, however when it was it didn't disappoint. Really good standard for 3*, in fact overall the hotel was a good standard for a 3*.
The rooms are cleaned daily, but on a couple of occasions they failed to clean the bathroom. The shower often over flowed into the main bathroom area if we used the big shower head. We informed reception and they sent someone promptly, however they didn't speak a word of English so that was pointless and the issue didn't get fixed.
The breakfast was very good with a variety of food offerings. The infinity pool was nice, however poolside service was poor. There were rarely enough beach towels available for the residents, and when you ordered food/drink it took forever to arrive and food arrived cold!

The hotel is 5min walk to railay west beach and approx 10mins to pranang beach & cave (beautiful). Railay east does not have a beach. Restaurants, bars, shops etc are within a few minutes walking distance. Note that it is difficult to get discounts on trips on this island! The last bar (at the end of the strip) had the best atmosphere...you can eat here too.

If you get a long tail boat to the mainland from railay east, be sure to get back before the last boat service at 6.30pm. After this time you will have to wait for the night boat and the locals try and charge as much as 1200 baht per person. We did a Thai cooking class nearby so our package included a return boat fare, however as we arrived at 7pm, the locals said they will not take us until there are at least 8 passengers and how we must pay 100 baht per person (even with our package tkts). We waited 2 hours until there were enough people. Luckily all the travellers joined forces and refused to pay the ridiculous fees they were quoting. In the end we paid 20 baht per person which was refunded by the tour company.

The internet is poor, especially in the room, the best spot was poolside.
Finally, when we checked out we were accused of consuming mini bar items when we didn't!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Allure79
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Staying at Railay is a great experience if you have family and young children. We saw more children there than any other place we have visited. Perhaps it is because Railay is harder to reach and not as accessible that makes it more protected, safer and quieter than other islands such as Phi Phi. Our rooms overlooked the garden just up from the pool, and it was fine. Room service was poor and our beers that we ordered never turned up. However when we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant the night before Christmas Eve we were bitterly disappointed. The food was cold and things that were meant to be included were not eg prawn crackers for traditional nasi goreng and some fried bread that replaced it, plus the missing chicken drum stick it was to have included also. The prawns presented in another dish, were measly...2. The stir fry chicken was cold but my pizza was ok. For the extra money we had to pay for the poor content we decided not to revisit the restaurant for the duration of our stay. The breakfast selection though was good. The pool at the back was fine but it would be nice if someone was there to keep a check on the availability of pool towels and perhaps provide some sort of drinks service there. We loved Walking Street and The Flame Tree restaurant as it was right on the beach and had a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Pool view.... 1 or 2 number block
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends