“Ants, broken shower, rude front desk - need I say more?”
Review of Sand Sea Resort

Sand Sea Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here for our honeymoon. First off, they did nothing to welcome us as honeymooners. I didn't expect much, but some flowers on the bed is always nice. I told the front desk several times that it was our honeymoon and they kept saying they were going to do something and never did. To add to that, our room had a constant trail of ants going through it, the shower head was broken, water was cold, and the service was rude. We even got hassled at the comp breakfast when my husband was sitting down to eat because I had the tickets and was still getting my food. They acted as if we were trying to steal from them or something. It is the most economical place on this side of Railay, but still that's no reason to be treated so poorly.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sand Sea Resort

Reviewed August 26, 2009

A nightmarish experience.
Our room was full of mold and stunk so bad we had to look for another hotel. Manager refused to give our money back.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I stayed at the Sand Sea Resort for 2 nights with my boyfriend, but we would definitely have liked to have stayed for longer if we had the time/money. From the moment the boat came around the corner from Ao Nang, the place is absolutely stunning.

The boat stopped on the beach right outside the hotel and we received a warm welcome from staff. The room (deluxe fan) was large and the bed was nice and comfy. The shower wasn't amazing but was fine (at least it was warm!). Though it rained on the second day, it was pleasant to sit on the terrace outside the room.

The restaurant was good, albeit rather pricey for Thai standards. You can buy alcohol from the bar down the beach (though wine is very expensive). The beach at night had a great atmosphere, just a few people relaxing and listening to the sea. The beach is small but there is plenty of space to be alone, or if you hang out near the bar there's a bit more life.

I absolutely loved Railay and would definitely recommend it if you want a special romantic trip and can afford to splash out & treat yourselves. If you stay on the east side, it's cheaper accommodation and can still enjoy the west beach (eg for sunset).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2009

After a horrible experience at Ya Ya I decided to pay the extra money for what seemed like a professionally run resort (rather than a cheapo place): the Sand Sea Resort. Was that ever a mistake!!! I should have paid more and gone for the Railay Bay Resort ...I heard only good things from the people staying there.

Anyway, back to the Sand Sea - I'm a pretty careful traveller and luckily kept all the important things with me and cable-locked my laptop to the furniture. Good thing as while I was at breakfast a case of DVDs, my external hard drive and one of those plastic hiking water bladders were stolen from my room. I can guarantee the door was locked and there was no sign of forced entry...which pretty much means it HAD to be an inside job. Unfortunately I had to check out in a hurry so it was only when I unpacked at Tonsai that I noticed the items were gone (after all I'd left everything packed when I went for breakfast...it never occured to me to check everything again after I got back to my locked room). When I hiked back to the Sand Sea at Railay and complained at the front desk I was told I should have put those things in the hotel safe. Not exactly good advice unless they wanted ALL my luggage in their safe!!! After all, who steals DVDs in THAILAND where they're cheap as chips? And who in their right mind would take a used water bladder with a hose someone else has been sucking on?

In the end I got my external hard drive back in a way that out-and-out proves that it was hotel staff who stole my things. I told the ladies at the front desk that I was desperate for the hard drive and would offer a 10,000 baht reward for it, no questions asked. They told me that they were 99% sure the head hostess would find it as she "searches all the rooms after people check out" and to come back in an hour. When I came back, miraculously they had the hard drive. I thanked them, took it and left without saying anythign about money...as far as I'm concerned it's an eye for an eye where dishonesty is concerned and the fact they "found" the hard drive proves that they were the thieves.

Generally I'd say the place was ok except for the fact that the slat windows mean that your neighbour's TV noise will keep you up ok. The breakfast was looked pretty atrocious for the money, but that didn't bother me - I generally only eat toast and coffee.

So if you have nothing you care about losing - it'd be ok...though not a good deal considering the price. If I stayed in Railay again I'd pay for the Railay Bay, or better yet go straight to the Tonsai Bay Bungalows at Tonsai which were cheaper, nicer, quieter and had a great cook-to-order breakfast included.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2009

dont stay there, complained, they just looked at me, lost passport there , they didnt even make a attempt to locate me after 5 days of looking for my passport , and it was at this dump the whole time, I wrote bed bugs really big on a piece of paper and drew a picture, then I wrote TRIP ADVISOR down, then they called the manager. they did nothing. go to the east side, better service and better price

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Everyones entitled to their opinion - but i think that people on this website should get to hear the right one - mine haha :)
Railay was amazing - serene & tranquil - reached by longboat - efficient and well run - polite and friendly - beautiful setting - warm sea - golden sand - hot sunshine - well kept - clean rooms. Lovely.

All i can say is that the breakfast wasnt as fantastic - especially as a veggie i found it limited - but they do great alternatives such as fresh banana shakes and fruit salads. If you do go for thee inclusive brekkie go for the fruit platter - fresh and lovely :)

Also - if it is not to your liking there are alot of other places nearby you can transfer too....

:) LOVE YOUUU X

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We arrived in Railay, Krabi and found sand resort as a potential hotel to saty. placed on the beach, nice view and accomodations.
The people welcoming us were really terrible: the lied about the price, they were really not nice and warm!
we decided not to stay in such a place!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
#8 of 13 in Railay Beach
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to Sand Sea Resort? Share your experiences!