“No service and no smiles”
Review of Sand Sea Resort

Sand Sea Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Before I went to Krabi I searched for hotels in the area, and this was the only hotel with good reviews. I had never been to Thailand and only heard about thai people.....but unfortunately this is not a good review at all.
I am still staying at the hotel but my experience overall in my first 24 hours has been such a bad experience, I had to share it.
When I arrived to the airport, the driver was not there. It turned out that he was at another gate. It took me two calls to the hotel and 30 min later. Bless hum - it wasn't his fault. He drove me to the pier, where there was a 'boat' waiting for me to take me to the hotel. What nobody had informed me aviut, was that I was to sail 10 mins in total darkness in the boat.
I finally arrived to the hotel and I went to my room, Grand Deluxe, which is amazing.
Last night I ate dinner in the restaurant, which didn't taste of anything.
This morning when i went to breakfast, the staff doesn't salute you, no good morning...nothing.
The breakfast buffet is just okay, nothibg special at all. When I asked for cheese and/or ham on my bread, they said they don't have that.....what??? It may seem as a very small thing, but I don't just want to eat butter. They understand very little english, so it is nearly an undefeated assignment.
I had massage in the hotel - again a disappointment. She
could barely understand me, the massage was not good.
The service and friendliness is second to none. The girls in the minimarket look like they don't want to be there.
I decided to go to the restaurant next door - Railay Bay, where I experienced friendliness, smiles and a good service.
I am not impressed at all with the level of service....maybe it's the hotel, the area, but I hope it changes..
One last thing, that I would have liked someone to have written in the reviews, is that there are so many boats from early morning to about 3 pm, coming and going, so it's noisy all day. It's like a touristmekka. While you eat breakfast, there is noise and a lot of people leaving and coming. It would have been nice to eat in tranquility. For sure, this hotel has been overrated...

• Stayed: February 2014
There are newer reviews for Sand Sea Resort

Reviewed February 3, 2014

As usual, let's start with the pros. The resort's location is fantastic. You get off the longboat and it is right there. It's right on the beach, and the views are gorgeous. The facilities are fine. I only stayed one night, so got upgraded to a junior suite. Definitely stay in West Raileh if you get the chance, as it is substantially prettier than the ugly view on the East Raileh side.

Now the cons. The service is extremely inconsistent. Their check in time is 2 pm, but my room wasn't ready even by 3 pm. Some staff very pleasant while one female manager very rude and unpleasant. No one's English is good. One other guest lost an item on the bus from the airport and wanted help calling the bus service. I heard her trying to explain the issue to four different staff, not one of who understood.

The restaurant is also awful. I ordered a fried rice, the easiest of dishes to make. After 45 minutes of waiting, I asked and was told right away. Another half hour later, I canceled it. The staff didn't even apologize. Pathetic.

The junior suite was nicely equipped, but a little outdated. You open directly to the pool area, so there is very little privacy. The rooms are also very thin walled. Lying in bed, I could hear every conversation of every person walking by. This was rather frustrating.

Still, despite the criticisms, I would stay here again as I think this resort is the best in its price class. Unless you're going to pay substantially more for Rayavadee, this place is not bad value for money. If only they could train their staff better...

Room Tip: There are definitely parts of the resort that have strong sewage smell. Be careful about that.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank ricedish
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We hired two double Kayaks for a couple of hours a few weeks back. All was good with the Kayaks, but when we returned them I had forgot that I had attached my room key (which was on a bottle opener to the life jacket. When I came back for it the manager only had the key. He asked the young guy in front of me, and he said "No, only key".
Physically impossible to have the key without the bottle opener.
It only cost me 30 baht in Ao Nang, but that is not the point. If the guy is stealing such inexpensive items then what is he going to do with your wallet?

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank sydneysiderworldtour
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Surprised at location.. We expected a quieter feel but this is a busy resort with many families and general activity. It was peak season though. It is set on a picturesque beach but it can get a bit overcrowded with day trippers mid day. Newer chalets were modern and very comfortable. Breakfast was good.. Try to avoid the rush by going early and enjoy the view! Hire a kayak & do some exploring.. Well worth the effort!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Excellent lication in Raily west, where the beach is better. Rooms perfect, specially in tne new buildings.people say that bungalows are quite old.

BUT worst service ever found in thailand.People from restaurant are simply rude, and people from reception not helpful and polite.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Mendifer
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I don't tell anything about the rooms in this hotel (a lot of people from Russia like to stay there), but after dinner in sand sea my wife was seriously poisoned with fish. Do not recommend to eat there if u do not want to spent some days in hotel roome

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigkreker
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed in one of the new 'deluxe' rooms on the 1st floor and it was really very good. The hotel is ideally located, right in the middle of the beach. The room was clean, spacious and modern. The balcony was awesome for monkey watching! Pool was good. Restaurant looked OK, but we didn't eat there as there are so many other options nearby. Staff were all very pleasant.

All in all, I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
#8 of 13 in Railay Beach
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to Sand Sea Resort? Share your experiences!