“Gorgeous Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Gorgeous Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

My friend and I stayed here in Nov and it was one of the best places we stayed while in Thailand. Yes, the resort is a little difficult to reach, as your boat will land in Railey West usually and you'll need to do a short trek to get there, but it's worth it. The price is fantastic, as is the facility

We had a gorgeous bungalow. I couldn't believe what a beautiful room we had for such a great price. The beds were comfy and te bathroom was huge. We also had a big porch with an outdoor light which we really enjoyed.

the location is good. It was a short walk to the bars and restaurants of Railey East, and just a 5 minute walk to Railey West. It's also very close to pranang beach, which is a must-see in Railey.

The breakfast buffet was very tasty.

The staff was amazing. Upon leaving they sent someone to help pull our suitcases back to Railey West. We appreciated it.

Seriously, for this price, Sunrise Tropical can absolutely not be beat!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Gurgaon, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

First of all let me tell you that I was going to book Sunrise as my hotel of choice in Krabi, but the rooms were sold out and I was very disappointed when I could not book so I chose a hotel in Ao Nang. When I went from Ao Nang to visit Railay(which is only a 15 minutes boat ride) I was relieved. Railay East where this hotel is located is the worst beach that I have seen in Thailand. It stinks and is like a swamp. I could not understand how people were eating and drinking there forget about living for the Virgins of Krabi, I suggest that you do some research and see pics of east before booking. If you still want to book Railay then book West.

Me and wife after coming back from Phra Nang were very hungry and so decided to eat at Sunrise. obviously we did not want the railay east beach view so went at sat inside. I asked for a beer and the waitress told me that they don't serve beer. Then the waitress/princess took our order with a very snobbish attitude and we ended up with the worst lunch we have had in Thailand. Sticky rice and BBQ Chicken were not edible and the Club Sandwhich was average.

One positive about the place was that it was cheap and toilets were clean as compared to Railay standards.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Wiz83
Berkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

I agree with other reviewers in that the hotel staff had a slight attitude and certainly didn't look happy to be working there. We forgot our 'breakfast voucher' a couple of occasions and this seemed to cause great upset. Why the needed a breakfast voucher I don't really know but all they needed to do was check our room on the computer. Breakfast was OK, not special. There was a guy making fresh omelettes. The room was probably one of the nicest we stayed in on our trip however the air conditioning didn't work properly and it was always too hot. Despite it being looked at twice it never improved. Good location on East Railay near restaurants and bars.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Raglan, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

I really loved this resort, and the only thing wrong was the slight attitude I encountered at the front desk when I arrived. The resort is beautiful, and I for one loved the location, perfect to climb, close to all the beaches, quiet in the evenings, and WONDERFUL breakfast spread...seriously, I think I ate too much. Upon arrival though the check-in process was pretty brisk and they weren't super helpful booking activities or transport and even though the desk lady warmed to me by day three, I think an overly friendly welcome and a bit more helpful advice would have been the cherry on top of a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We spent 2 nights at the Sunrise Tropical, and after traversing a winding, tree-lined path we arrived at our adorable little bungalow-style room. Our room was precisely what I wanted for a secluded peninsula stay - quiet, peaceful, and picturesque. The tranquil feel of the place was a nice contrast to the comparatively more intense Phuket, where we had spent a few days before. I loved being in a place with no cars, where I could walk everywhere I needed to go, and Sunrise Tropical is conveniently located smack dab in the middle of Railay West, Phra Nang, and all the restaurants/bars in Railay East. Although, I doubt any hotel could really be considered far from anywhere on Railay.

The breakfast is delicious, but with less service than all the other breakfasts I had on this trip. That is, I had to fill my own coffee... But that was no big deal. I love eating noodles for breakfast, and both mornings we were there they made delicious noodle dishes.

I kind of loved the bathroom. It is a tiny bit tricky because there is a tiny step going down to the toilet, which I tripped over multiple times. I really enjoyed the shower because it reminded me of the outdoor ones at the beach, except this one was indoors, obviously.

We honestly didn't spend much time in our room, as we were out enjoying the beach pretty much the entire time we were on Railay, but our room was the perfect, calm haven to return to between all our little beach excursions or to use the bathroom after too many drinks at the Joy Bar (we somehow missed that there was a bathroom across the way we could have used...).

But the best part about Sunrise is just the feeling you get when you're there. In my attempt to articulate what is best experienced rather than described, all I can say is that it's a feeling of being really comfortable and relaxed and at home. I really hope I get a chance to come back someday!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Great place to stay. Beautiful room located in a tropical rain forest. Service was very good & the location was central to everything.

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be good!