Talk about over rated.
We stayed at the Rayavadee for 3 nights. It did not start well. We were transferring from another resort in the area as we had heard amazing things about the Rayavadee and wanted to try it out before we left the Krabi area. When I made the reservation, the woman on the phone informed me that the car would be at our resort to pick us up at 12:00. It took me three phone calls and a manager to get the point across that were were staying at the next beach and there were no roads. The only way in and out, like the Rayavadee itself, is by boat.
I will say that it was nice being greeted by the manager and check in was very relaxing.
While the two storey bungalows are, in theory, very nice. They are all set in amazing grounds framed by magnificent limestone karsts and beautiful jungle. As far as the room interiors, well, that is another story. The furnishings are a bit out dated. The upstairs bathroom vanity area was so small that I could not put more than 4 things on the counter at once. The hanging couch is a nice idea but not very comfortable. Our outside lounge chairs were torn and tattered and not so clean. One our last day there, we had no hot water and it took a good hour for it to be fixed.
The beaches are nice [when it is not low tide] as is the pool area. The major issue here is the people who come down to the pool before breakfast, stake out the prime lounge chairs and leave for a few hours. The pool staff could make a more concerted effort to enforce the “no reserving” rule for the chairs. The beaches all front public property and the maximum security guards at all entrances are very good, for the most part, of keeping out people who are not staying there. Additionally, they are very good at making the people who are staying there feel like interlopers when coming back from the outside world. We found that jangling the large and heavy key chain with bells as we approached the entrance was sufficient to ward off the sentry.
The monkeys making mischief was a nice feature. We saw them tear the outside of a bungalow apart twice. Made for some nice entertainment.
What really takes the cake are the restaurants. All of them are over priced, inedible and staffed with people who don’t know a sparkling water from a gin and tonic [which incidentally, was so watered down it tasted like the afore mentioned sparking water]. The Thai restaurant is a disgrace to the cuisine, the breakfast buffet, for the price, is a joke and room service takes eternity. We had better luck walking down West Railey and eating at one of the other resorts for 1/5 of the price and decidedly better food.
Also disappointing for the price is the service. Although the staff attempts to be friendly, their English skills need help. This was exceptionally painful at breakfast. On one morning it literally took me four requests for water over the course of 20 minutes to get a glass full. Their general knowledge about the resort also needs a bit brushing up as the resort is a bit complicated to navigate and asking for directions yields about a 70% success rate.
The place was overrun with tour groups all three days we were there. Apparently, packaging the place and giving people huge discounts instead of improving food, rooms and service, is a great way to improve occupancy rates.
I cannot imagine that I would ever stay here again even if the price were lowered to just ridiculous instead of astronomically insane.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rayavadee's setting on the edge of Krabi's National Marine Park at the heart of the stunning Phranang Peninsula perfectly blends lush foliage, limestone cliffs, white sand beaches and the emerald waters of the Andaman Sea. The resort's award winning architecture and tropical landscapes were inspired by the atmosphere of a southern Thai village. Rayavadee's enchanting two-story pavilions and beachfront villas are spread over 26 acres of coconut groves, their spacious interiors and décor providing unsurpassed comfort for the property's highly discerning guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rayavadee Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rayavadee Hotel Railay Beach
- Rayavadee Resort Krabi
- Rayavadee Hotel Krabi
- Rayavadee Krabi
- Rayavadee Resort Railay Beach, Krabi, Thailand