“Relax in isolation, great service in beautiful surroundings” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rayavadee Resort

Rayavadee Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Scotland
“Relax in isolation, great service in beautiful surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

A great place to get away, chill and spend time with your loved one(s). The accommodation we had (with own mini pool) was clean, modern and well air conditioned. Fantastic food and service. Expect great sunshine in the mornings (in April) to relax to by the world class infinity pool after a fantastic buffet breakfast. Be prepared for some afternoon down pours and apply insect repellent if outside out night. We only had two rain free days and saw some great thunderstorms at night. All the staff are very friendly and really appreciate a thank you and a smile back. The SPA is expensive for what you would expect to pay in Thailand but very good. Trips to elephant riding and national park for waterwalls well are worth the money. Snorkelling & kayaking is good fun from the hotel beaches but take a day trip and get to Bamboo Island for a taste of sheer luxury. Diving can be arranged and all went well. The famous "The Beach" Island (known as Phi Phi Island or Maya Bay) is beautiful but packed and we were happy to only spend 20mins there. The Hotel's own Thai restaurant is not cheap once local taxes and service charges are added to your bill but the Italien was more reasonable. A big thanks to Brian the British Hotel chain COO standing in as Manager and all his staff who made our 9 night stay very enjoyable. His team really are very good at looking after you and making you feel special. A beautiful, romantic location with great sunsets and idyllic location. I enjoyed the Rayavadee more than the Datai at Langkawi if you are looking for a comparison, they are of a similar standard...but this is more isolated as Rayavadee is only accessible via boat. Read the other reviews too and decide if its for you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JASABN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Seaford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

This is the only Luxury hotel in Krabi. It was a mission to get there as you need to transfer by boat from the mainland. The hotel is a little dated in its decor and the mosquitos attacked in formation the minute we arrived, but the decor is nowhere near as bad as the entrance of the Oriental in Bangkok!

The feeling while staying there was almost, like in the maldives, of total isolation. However there is more life than appears at first. However Krabi is more of a backpacker place and Raleigh Beach is a true backpacker hangout with a 6 star hotel on one end!

However the position of the hotel is one of shear beauty that epitomises Krabi. The rooms or pavillions as they are called are strange. We felt that we had arrived in a smurf village, especially as they are round. Despite this the rooms are comfortable, spacious and perfectly appointed. The pavillions are spread throughout the estate and thankfully the golf cart service is excellent as we are not fond of walking forever. Added to this one needs a keen sense of direction to navigate the estate.

The real negative is the swarms of cheap tourists that invade the beaches during the day. This is unfortunate as the beaches are small, but there is nothing the Hotel can do except provide the security guards with a few AK47s and open fire!

The spa looked good but ridiculously expensive!

The most outstanding quality of the Hotel is the service. The staff are gracious, friendly, polite and efficient.... even the Amanpuri in Phuket is not as good.

The real problem I think that the Hotel has, is that it is outrageously expensive. Added to this it is a place to stay for 2 nights maximum after which, unless you enjoy absolute relax, there is nothing much to do. The hotel should offer a free transfer on a regular basis to the nearby 'town'.

All in all it was an experience that we enjoyed!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank medl0ver
Hurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

Although it is almost 2 years since my husband and I stayed here, I felt compelled to write a review. We spent 10 amanzing days at Rayavadee and can't wait to return. From the moment you step into the speed boat for the transfer to the resort, you are treated to luxury and fantastic service. The resort is breathtakingly beautiful, not one tree was cut down in the construction of this resort, and so the rooms are spread amongst them. The rooms are all 2-story separate buildings, with plenty of space. They vary in terms of having a pool, spa or nothing outside. We had the hydropool, which was lovely, but when we go again, I would feel no need to have this as the beach areas and the pool are more than enough. They also benefit from the staff constantly bringing round cooled, wet towels to 'mop your brow' and little snacks of fruit and small fruit smoothies- a nice touch.
We had arranged a meal plan, but the cost of food for a high-end resort with no other options was less than we would have expected, and so when we next visit we would not pay in advance for half board. The Thai restaurant was excellent (we love thai food and eat it regularly). The cave restaurant was great (BBQ food)- on one of our visits there, we watched a storm come in and still ate 'outside' protected by the cave- it was truly unique.
The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful, always smiling (as is the case in Thailand of course)- they weren't in your face, which was good too.

The spa was good, but expensive.

This was a beautiful place to truly unwind and relax. We went at the start of the rainy season and the resort was only at 10% capacity, which was perfect for us, but if you prefer something livelier this might not be the place for you. We enjoyed being the only couple in the restaurant, and sat near the beach!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TCGJJ
cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the resort for 6 nights. We were met at the airport and transferred by the hotel car and speed boat. Very James Bond! We had a villa with a hydro pool which was lovely. The resort was very quiet [only 30% occupancy ]which I have to say did not make for a great atmosphere.On one night there was only the 2 of us in the restaurant. We thought that the food was lovely, But the wine prices were absolutely astronomical, also many of the cheaper! £50 bottles were not available! Hence we were paying around £70 a bottle. Lunch in the beach bar could be had for £3 ,glass of wine tg go with it £6! I think resort needs a bar area although I can see why there may not be much call for one with those prices.Pool man was lovely, as were all the staff. The spa was great. We loved the monkeys, although they can be noisy at night. We did not have great weather with rain most days and low cloud. It is a gorgeous place to see . My very stressed husband totally chilled out. whilst I sulked about wine prices!! Like being in Betty Ford clinic. Worth a visit if you need to chill. Ideal for a honeymoon couple who want to be alone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Aussie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

My Husband and I were recently married at Rayavadee.
We couldn't recommend a finer place to tie the knot. They certainly have weddings down to a fine art - amazing service, gorgeous decor, flowers, hair and make up services, photography - everything was absolutely perfect!
Rayavadee was extremely accomodating on our initial enquiries as we only had a very small amount of guests and we as the bridal couple only wanted to stay for two nights as the rate per night is pretty expensive. None of our guests stayed at the resort, and even though they try to get you to committ you and your guests to at least 10 nights, they were happy just to have my husband and I stay for 2 nights - so negotiate hard!

Upon arrival at the airport, you are transported by hotel staff to a pier in Krabi Town and taken via Rayavadee speed boat to the resort (which is only accessible via boat).
As soon as we saw this luxurious speed boat and were subsequently greeted by the staff at reception, we knew this place was unique.

The staff were incredibly polite and nothing was too much trouble.
The Pavillions were lovely and clean wih beautiful decor and the bathroom with spa was a highlight for us in the room. The bed is up very high though!

There were plenty of complimentary activities, like canoeing and snorkelling off Phranang Beach (The best beach for swimming)

The grounds of the hotel are breathtaking which so much to see!
As the resort it over 72 acres, it can be a little difficult to navigate around at night, but they do have a buggy service available. I would have to say that would be the only negative is that if your room is by Railay Beach, you have to walk to the other side of the resort for breakfast which is near the reception area, but the scenery you see on the way makes it a pleasant trek!

The pool is amazing so large with so much room for all guests so you never would feel that there are no pool chairs or room in the pool. If you like to be near the pool when you go on vacation, ask for room 332, it's right by the pool and faces Railay Beach.

This resort is by far the best on Railay Beach (we stayed at the Railay Bay next door for a couple of nights). We are hoping to return for an anniversary and only wish we could have spent more time there to experience absolutely everything they had to offer.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thailandhopeful
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

i stayed a couple of years ago at the rayavadee and it wasnt my first taste of luxury hotels but it was my first taste of secluded resorts.
the hotel is a boatride away from the krabi mainland but this was a nice touch for those who want to get away from it all. I remember when we arrived it was raining and they provided umbrellas for us as we walked towards our villas. i also remember the incredible silence and feeling of relaxation as soon as we walked into our villas.It was so good and needed that both me and my wife fell asleep for what was supposed to be a half hour nap to wake up 4 hours later just in time for dinner.
This resort had it all. The a la carte breakfasts were great and i loved the thai restaurant and the addictive mieng kana!
The beautiful resort was set in a tropical forest and there were monkeys swinging above the trees. We did however have a couple of problems while we were there. The water one evening came out of the taps a yellowish colour but this was fixed promptly and an apology card with a bottle of wine was given to compensate. The second time, we left our window open by accident and in climbed a squirrel which gave us a nasty surprise when we came home. i t took the staff a good 20 minutes to catch it while it was running around!
So my advice..leave your windows closed before you go anywhere and love the resort for what it is...a tranquil romantic setting of luxury in a beatiful tropical rainforest. you dont get many of these and if you want to spend quality time with your other half, then you must go here...even if the service was bad (which it isnt) and the food horrible (which it wasnt) you will be guaranteed to have a good time together with nature's blessing.
I love this place!

ps make sure you a take a trip to the beautiful island of phi phi lei where The Beach was filmed.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maestro_9
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

Nothing truer can be said about Rayavadee than what has already been stated by Kessap, a few reviews down. Most of what made our stay here enjoyable had little to do with the hotel itself. My husband and I spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon, in between the Four Seasons Chiang Mai and Trisara in Phuket, and Rayavadee is not even remotely in the same league despite being a member of Leading Hotels of the World (which we now believe is some kind of membership that hotels simply pay to be a part of, with little required of them).

We booked the basic room, which is a nice two-story unit, and was more than adequate, but were surprised after seeing how empty the hotel seemed, that we had not been upgraded in any way. We were, however, offered a "honeymoon discount" of 20% off at the spa, which my husband found insulting and trite. We would have preferred a bottle of champagne or some other gesture, however small. We did not end up using the spa during our stay, as the 250-baht, half hour massages on the beach were wonderful! Back to our room.... the ground floor is a living room with half bath, and 20-or so inch tv. The upstairs is a bedroom, a little on the tight side in terms of space, but a gorgeous, huge, new marble bathroom (which I only learned from reading reviews on here after our stay, that this was not standard and not all rooms had these newly updated bathrooms). We were surprised that both tvs in the room were old fashioned, not plasma or even flat screen. The whole room, with the exception of the bathroom, is nice but does have a dated feeling in almost an unexplainable way. I understand it is a traditional, Thai style decor with rustic details, but look at the Four Seasons in Chiang Mai and you'll see a room that is very traditional but refined. Our room was in a nice location, close to the pool and Railay Beach, and very sunny. Many of the rooms we passed on our walks were so shaded and dark and just seemed like they would be damp and musty inside... and many of those are the more expensive pool villas. Unlike our other two resorts, this was not a room that we felt compelled to spend a lot of time in and I think that is the bottom line.

The two real weaknesses of Rayavadee are the service and the food. Soon after checking in, we were absolutely shocked that our bags were dropped off in our living room without the offer to be brought up to the bedroom! My husband had to drag both heavy suitcases up the stairs himself. This was our first sign that the service here is simply adequate and never goes above and beyond. Most staff members spoke just OK English, and it was just plain difficult to communicate with some of them (lots of blank stares when you ask a question). We didn't have any specific problems that I can recall but we also didn't have any moments of "Wow, what great service!". The two places where we felt the staff was the nicest and most efficient were at the pool and the beach.

I had read before going that the food had mixed reviews, but we were almost blown away by some of the awfulness of what was put in front of us. The breakfast buffet is fine, there is a decent selection of cold food (cereal, fruit, pastries, meats and cheeses) but nothing comes across as being particularly fresh or amazing either. Kind of got the feeling that a lot of the day's breakfast items were a creative use of yesterday's leftovers. There is a small menu of hot items such as eggs that can be made to order as well. But breakfast was the best meal we got at the hotel. We had dinner our first night at the Italian Restaurant, which was offering a pasta night buffet special for some exorbitant amount (I think 2500 baht per person). We opted for the a la carte menu, where I thought margherita pizza would be a safe option but I think it came from a Mama Celeste box (actually no, Mama Celeste would have been better). My husband had a seafood pasta which was just FINE but seemed like the seafood was from a pre-chopped, frozen package. The food overall was the quality of a bad cruise ship. The next night we tried the Thai restaurant, thinking they couldn't possibly mess up their own local cuisine, but again it was not great. Better than Italian, but just not good enough for a hotel that claims to be of this level. Honestly, the best meal we ate in Krabi was chicken fried rice from the longtail boats on Phranang Beach, which was 60 baht and the best fried rice I have ever eaten. After two bad dinners, I came onto tripadvisor from the hotel's library and saw that other people recommended the Flame Tree on Railay Beach, so we had our third and final dinner there. It was better than the hotel food (though not amazing) but reasonably priced.

When I said I agreed so strongly with Kessap's review, it was for this reason: the hotel's location is absolutely breathtaking and it is by far the nicest hotel in the immediate area. The surrounding resorts seemed to cater to backpackers. However, those people paying 1/10th of your room rate at the hotel next door are getting the exact same views and the same beautiful beaches as you are! You are paying a premium for nothing more than pretty hotel grounds, with little substance. On whether I would recommend Rayavadee to a friend, I am so torn. On one hand, we absolutely loved Krabi (this location in particular) and it would be hard for me to tell someone not to go there. The beaches and the scenery are the best I have ever seen. On the other hand, I just dont think the experience at Rayavadee itself was worth $700 a night, especially when I believe we spent less per night at our other two hotels, which were in a different stratosphere of quality. At the same time, I don't think we would have been happy at one of the lower end hotels on the beach (at least not for a honeymoon). I am not sure what the best option in Krabi might be for a honeymooner.

• Liked — Grounds are beautiful, great location, and loved the monkeys
  • Disliked — Food, service just average, and value overall just isn't there
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank AA82
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
#9 of 13 in Railay Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,962 reviews

Been to Rayavadee Resort? Share your experiences!