“Fantastic place!”
Review of Rayavadee Resort

Rayavadee Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Railay Beach
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We spent a full week+ at the resort. Overall, we were very happy with the place and all it had to offer. Excellent service and friendly staff, world-class scenery, very nice rooms/pavillion, nice beaches, nice pool area, excellent trips arranged by hotel (but expensive!), good opportunities for tennis and other exercising activities, good for families - and the opportunity to experience the more "real Thailand" close to the resort, but without the noise of larger cities. Expect a lot of walking in beautiful park-like surroundings with trees, flowers, monkeys and birds around you, which we, and I believe most guests, truly enjoyed.The only comment I have is for those that expect a "business like" hotel (like in Dubai, Singapore, etc) with everything very close nearby and the pool outside your doorstep/elevator, you may want to consider. For us it was perfect. We will come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,975)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had very high expectations for our stay at Rayavdee, spending hours trawling through the amazing photos on the website in the lead up to our trip. On the approach to the resort from the boat, the scenery was already living up to the hype, but that's where it ended. Check in was efficient, if a little cold and business like. We were escorted to our villa, which was utterly disappointing. It looked nothing like the images on the website. Overall, the accomodation was very run down and showed its age, particularly the bathrooms. The 2 storey layout seemed quite quaint, in reality, it was a pain.I'd be particularly put off if we had children, as the stairs are quite steep and not well lit. There is very little privacy in any of the villas, each villa has 2 sunloungers which are located right on the thoroughfares, needless to say, we didn't see anyone using them. Dining was also a huge let down, the images on the website had us expecting a high end culinary experience, what we got, was average at best. Granted, we visited at a very busy time (Easter) so there were more kids around than we would ordinarily like. Breakfast was like feeding time at the zoo, so much so, we had breakfast in our villa after the first morning. Dinners were little better, with screaming semi-naked kids running around and fellow diners in their swimwear. The grotto was the perfect example of misleading photography, overhyped and overlooking a noisy, dirty public beach. The staff were incredibly gracious but lacked basic training, we struggled at times to get any service, then had 5 people swarming around our table, each asking the same question. The end result? We checked out after 2 nights of what should have been a 5 night stay and went back to Bangkok, where 5 star means 5 star. This place is definitely not for couples seeking privacy, luxury and peace and quiet, it's an exotic Butlins overrun with kids.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank girlinthedesert
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is an amazing hotel set in stunning surroundings. The resort has beautiful views of limestone cliffs and it's own white sandy beach. Great food and the staff are lovely, the swimming pool is fantastic and has lovely views across the ocean. The best part of the whole experience is the privacy, the complex is made up of individual pavilions and was quiet and so relaxing, perfect for a honeymoon.

I highly recommend this resort and would love to do back,

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoniMay33
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I went to The Rayavadee on15-18/4/2014.I never thing that I can get the best service at there.
The rayavadee staffs are very nice and attempt to service me.I never hear "can not" during I stayed at there.The scenery is beautiful.However the cost of staying at there is quite high too,
but I have to try it once of my life.So I will go back again if I have time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Phanom J
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was my fourth stay at Rayavadee. Sadly this time will most likely be my last as the place was not the same. Small touches that made the experience very special were just not there any more. Some things were better, the room upgrades definitely helped - glad to see the back of the awful swing chairs, and unusably large baths!

It is hard to put my finger on exactly what was wrong, but here is my best attempt. For a start, there has been an influx of non-Thai staff since my last trip four years ago. This certainly gave a different feel to the place.

There was a big increase in families and children this time. I have visited at the same time of year on each occasion, and have not seen so many families with young children before. The major development of the surrounding beaches of Railay East and West has provided a greater choice of dining and entertainment venues. In previous years there really wasn't much to do at night, which may have kept families away.

Inevitably, I guess, along with the families, come the anti-smoking league. I do not smoke much, but on holiday, i will occasionally and I really object to being told where I can smoke when I'm outside! To those of you to which these oppressive rules appeal - please visit this hotel, you will be in good company!

My former impression of the eco-friendly, 'at one with its environment' hotel was finally destroyed on our last night when we found a small silver snake at the foot of the staircase. Within minutes of reporting said snake a security guard appeared. Without hesitation he took the pointed end of an umbrella to the snake, trod on it and then proceeded to kill it with the same pointed end of the umbrella. Right in front of us. Not exactly the environment's best friend, particularly given the snake was a harmless 'blind snake' we were later told.

Finally, just to remind me that things have really changed, the last little touch of a special gift for returning guests, was not to be. No goodbye from the staff as there used to be either.

Many of the original Thai staff are still there and I have nothing but the highest praise to give to them. They would always come and say hello and some even remembered me by name. My only disappointment is that most of them still wear staff costumes, with the new influx of non-Thai's in manager's uniforms.

Beautiful setting, some incredible staff, just not what it was.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank derbytripper_10
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

we are having the best time ever ! this place is paradise on earth : superb location, great beaches, amazing staff. honestly the staff are so gentle and polite they should be giving the lessons of hospitality to the rest of the world... the quality of services is beyond great - very clean, extremely organised, delicious food, drinks, entertainment. in the Thai restaurant we had the best meal if our trip (and we did visit all the best restaurants in Bangkok...).
we will surely be back and recommend it to all our friends.
10/10

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Charles L
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Our stay at the Rayavadee was truly wonderful. We loved the rooms, with excellent bed and bathroom. The facilities on the campus were great. We stayed for 4 nights, and basically did not even bother to leave. The 3 restaurants made it easy, and all had different and wonderful entourages. We took a day tour to some of the heavenly islands in the area.
Most impressive to us was the staff! They were all wonderful, welcoming, kind. All so very proud to work there, and may every guest feel welcome - from the gardeners to pool staff. Truely exceptional. On Wednesday there was a fun reception under the Umbrella tree by one of the beaches. Great to get to meet some of the staff, get some tips etc. I's advise any one to go there!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. If you want a very quiet room, you can ask for one away from the pool or bea...