We have been dreaming about going to Rayavadee ever since we saw their photos in our Kuoni travel brochure. Our stay was great. The staff were over the top trying to make everything perfect; in particular the gentleman at the pool took great care of us.
Dining: we ate at the Thai restaurant for dinner and the Cave restaurant for lunches. The cave restaurant is really more laid back than photos we'd seen online indicate. It was perfect for our lunch each day and right there on the beach. There were good kids dining options at all the restaurants. The kids 'western style' meals weren't always consistently prepared (noodles were good one meal, really runny the next) but our 6 year old just cared that there weren't vegetables in them so it didn't matter.
Our daughter turned 2 while we were there and the hotel provided a free birthday cake and sparkling wine in the room to celebrate which was incredibly kind.
Beaches: you've surely already read all the write-ups about the descending hordes on Phranang Beach. So:
1. go there for sunrise before the boats begin to arrive; it's lovely and deserted then. When the boats begin to show up go have breakfast.
2. go there around lunchtime as there is a lull (great opportunity to have lunch in the cave restaurant)
3. go at low tide regardless of the boats so you can walk out to the rock formations. (Ask the watersports staff when this will be)
Gift shop: don't wait until after checkout when you're waiting for your boat to go into the gift shop like we did! It's truly amazing and worth a good visit. The library is also worthy of some browsing time.
Pool: we spent most of our time near the pool. It's giant and has two separate sections for kids depending on how tall they are. The whirlpool section isn't warmer than the rest. There were plenty of chairs and no need to try and get there early to compete for one.
Summary and soapbox: We really enjoyed our visit. It's sad to see the numbers of boats and tourists at Phranang beach - you can definitely get a feel for what this place was like before they started coming but sadly that's not the case any longer. It feels like the hotel now has to try and strike this balance between quality of facilities and service, and cost of the rooms. It must cost a lot of money to keep that place going, with staff living on-site, transport costs to get the guests there from the airport/mainland, and truly extensive grounds maintenance. And the room rates reflect this: we paid around $800 per night for our room (although I've occasionally seen sites with rates around the $400 mark.) When they had the peninsula to themselves, these room rates were justified. With the influx of day visits, and the additional new hotels on the peninsula, this is no longer the case. But I'm not sure they can maintain the facilities and services if they drop the room rates. We will definitely go back if we can find some discounted rates, and wouldn't want to see the quality go down. It will be interesting to see what happens.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rayavadee's setting on the edge of Krabi's National Marine Park at the heart of the stunning Phranang Peninsula perfectly blends lush foliage, limestone cliffs, white sand beaches and the emerald waters of the Andaman Sea. The resort's award winning architecture and tropical landscapes were inspired by the atmosphere of a southern Thai village. Rayavadee's enchanting two-story pavilions and beachfront villas are spread over 26 acres of coconut groves, their spacious interiors and décor providing unsurpassed comfort for the property's highly discerning guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Rayavadee Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rayavadee Hotel Railay Beach
- Rayavadee Resort Krabi
- Rayavadee Hotel Krabi
- Rayavadee Krabi
- Rayavadee Resort Railay Beach, Krabi, Thailand