“Wonderful experience, great ambience!”
Review of Rayavadee Resort

Rayavadee Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Shanghai, China
“Wonderful experience, great ambience!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a short family stay at Rayavadee attending the friends' wedding. We had a wonderful experience! Fabulous resort with nicely designed and decorated pavilions and a breathtakingly beautiful garden, rich flora and fauna. Courteous staff, very friendly service. Our pavilion was spacious but cozy, with a huge bed upstairs, always with fresh bed sheets and towels and daily supply of lovely toiletries. There was a daily serving of fresh tropical fruit and various complimentary snacks/drinks, which was a nice touch! Very good breakfast! The swimming pool was big and nice, but we preferred to swim in the sea, clean and warm water, sandy beaches (that could get a bit crowded when the boats with tourists arrived). We were lucky to use property amenities like snorkelling and kayaking provided by the hotel. The restaurants in Rayavadee served delicious and expensive food, but it's possible to get cheaper and not less tasty options in nearby local restaurants. We did enjoy our stay and would love to come again. Rayavadee is a luxury resort, but is a perfect place for a romantic getaway or special occasion!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank peacefulcoral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from this beautiful resort and had such an amazing time! Hands down the attention to detail and the friendliness of the staff made the stay so special. There were no requests that we made that they didn't say yes to with a smile. Personally enjoyed the attention we had while at the pool (which was never crowded). I only wish I could remember the young man's name who waited on us hand and foot. He even set up some loungers on the rocks closer to the beach so we could enjoy the view better. Personally, I never thought the long tailed boats were that bothersome, actually added more charm than the speedboats. Of course, if they were quieter, but can't have it all. At least at this resort, you can move to other beaches rather easily if one got too crowded for your taste. But I felt where the resort was located, it was in a perfect spot with beautiful trees and cliffs. We enjoyed being able to hop on a 10-minute long tailed boat ride to Aonang for a little more dining and nightlife, but always enjoyed returning to our quiet resort. As previously written, the villas are huge and we never saw or heard any others while at our villa. I won't repeat all the amenities in the villa since they were previously mentioned, but top-notch! And there were always plenty of kayaks, snorkel gear, etc. available for your pleasure to use whenever you wanted. Yes the excursions are expensive, but as we found out, well worth it. We used a tour company outside the resort for half the price, but got what we paid for. The boat was late picking us up, was not in the best condition, and they didn't speak english well so we had a difficult time communicating. Then booked a private day with the resort and realized it was well worth the extra cost. We were treated like celebrities! It's a splurge but highly highly recommend it! They catered our trip to exactly what we wanted to see and do, and then some! As far as dining, our favorite restaurant was the Raitalay Terrace by the pool. Ate there several times and everything was fantastic. And how can you not get your fill at breakfast? Besides the buffet, you can order al a carte off the placard on the table. The only downside we found was we wish they had better markings/directions for your villa. Can't tell you how many times we got lost or found ourselves down the wrong path. But overall....loved this place!!!

Room Tip: We were sort of in the middle of the resort towards the fitness center and may have avoided any nois...
4 Thank pvickwoo
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I visited this resort just last week and were absolutely blown away by absolutely everything they offered.

Service: Top notch. Almost every interaction my wife and I had with the staff at Rayavadee left us astonished at the over-the-top customer service provided. Each day at the pool we were addressed by name, asked about our day, and checked in on throughout the day by the pool staff. It got to the point where we felt like close friends by the end of the trip. The waitstaff at each of the restaurants were incredibly friendly and very focused on ensuring your enjoyment while eating. Overall, I would honestly say that the service was one of the best, if not the best, I've ever experienced at a hotel.

Resort: The resort itself is enough reason to visit this place. The pavilions are situated in jungle environment while you are surrounded by limestone cliffs and access to clear blue water and white sand beaches on all sides (you can't actually see then from the pavilions unless you rent the villas, but it's a 5 minute walk to each beach). You will seed the staff is performing upkeep on the resort daily (trimming low branches, sweeping back the brush, etc), though in no way does it stick out and interfere with the experience.

The pavilions are beautiful. My wife and I stayed in the Deluxe Pavilion and we loved it. The first floor "family room" was nice and clean and the staff provides a few complimentary snacks and drinks (including beer) each day. The bed rooms were beautiful as well, with huge windows all around providing unreal natural sunlight and plenty of space for both of us to spread out.

I've seen some people mention the excessive noise from people and boats and I must say I did not have that experience. Rarely did we ever see, let alone hear anyone else while we were in our pavilion. Moreover, only one night while walking back from a restaurant did we hear any music from the beaches and even then, once we made our way into the pavilion, the noise did not make it's way through. As for boats, unless you are staying in a villa, which directly backs up to the beach, I'm not sure how you'd ever hear the longboats as none of the pavilions are anywhere near close enough to the part of the beach where the boats arrive and depart.

Experience: Cannot be matched. You arrive to the small cove on a boat and are greeted by a tractor that takes you from the shallow waters to the front steps of resort. Immediately you are treated to a cool towel and drink and a warm welcome from the staff.

The pavilions are in the jungle and you are steps away from beautiful beaches and clear blue warm waters. Monkeys swing through the trees (we saw monkeys on more then 4 occasions on this trip, 3 different species) and there are 3 top notch restaurants on the resort premises. If you are looking to get out a little, you are a 5 minute walk to two different beach "downtowns" (one on Railay Beach and one on Nammo Beach) where you can grab a drink, some local food and shopping). The resort offers great trips and you can also walk 5 minutes to Railay Beach and book your own trips (which are less expensive, but a lower level of service). You have unlimited access to kayaks and snorkeling and you are lay out by the pool or beach with a friendly staff to watch after your belongings if you want to go for a walk. For my wife and I, this resort was the best place we've ever stayed and we will no doubt try to make our way back there again.

Two things to remember:
(1) this is a 5 star resort and as such, you are going to be paying 5 star prices. The restaurants are priced relatively the same as those on Railay Beach, while being slightly above those on Namma Beach. Neither of us visited the spa, but we did take one trip with them (Elephant excursion) and tried to book another (Private boat to Phi Phi). If you want to save some money, book trips like fishing and boat tours through the people on Railay Beach as you'll pay about 75% of the Rayavadee price (but you also don't get the same "type" of customer service).

However, my wife and I spent 7 days on this island and our bill of items booked to the room was about $1,100. That includes 4 restaurant dinners, a private dining night in the room, a beach barbecue, an elephant excursion, 3-4 snacks/lunches and drinks, and transportation to and from the airport. The other two nights we ate out we paid similar prices on Railay Beach.

(2) You are in the jungle and might want to lower you expectations when it comes to bugs, ants, etc. We NEVER had an issue with bugs or ants in the rooms, but when you are walking around there are bugs, ants, mosquitos etc, everywhere. If you are looking to COMPLETELY AVOID seeing these creatures anywhere, then a jungle resort might not be for you. My wife and I put on bug lotion everyday and were fine. Do you still get bit, yes, but so long as you keep putting on the lotion (and a spray provided by the resort) you will be fine.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe pavilion and it was wonderful. We didn't think we needed the spa or poo...
2 Thank Greg B
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Let's start with the good. We had a wonderful time and were continuously blown away at the Rayavadee Resort, a truly unique and amazing place. It's like living first class in the middle of a jungle with beautiful flora, wild monkeys, fish, frogs and few mosquitoes. Our stay started with a very dramatic entrance. A luxurious private van picked us up at the airport (equipped with massage chairs) to take us to the pier with a speedboat waiting to whisk us away to the resort. The entrance was spectacular with the limestone cliffs all around. The staff was there waiting for us with welcome drinks and towels. We were given a very nice orientation of the resort and then escorted to our pavilion. I don't know how we got to be so lucky because I think our Spa Pavilion had the best view in the resort (other than the villas that were right on the water). The service was exceptional for the most part and especially memorable during our stay were three people, Monica at the Krua Phranang Thai dining. The food was excellent and Monica made it even better with her dinner suggestions, her welcoming smile and her fun Thai language lessons. Salma, who was our cooking class instructor, was awesome. We had so much fun and she helped take the mystery out of cooking Thai. I highly recommend taking a class with her. Syahreza, the resort's General Manager. I was so impressed that he came by to see how we were doing, introduced himself and addressed us by our names. He had heard we were bothered by what I will discuss in the "ugly" section below.
OK, here is the bad, although these shouldn't be a deterrent to stay at this resort and keep in mind I'm a 5 star kind of gal, I can stay in the 4 stars if I HAVE too. I fell in love with the resort because of the photos on the website and although we really liked our beautiful spa pavilion and it was clean and well maintained, these photos were taken many moons ago when the resort was brand new or they were "glamour-shopped". From the photos I was dreaming about a romantic evening in the outdoor spa with my husband and a bottle of bubbly but after seeing the outdoor spa in real life there was no way I was getting in that thing with all the bugs and ants inside it and mosquitoes and dirt surrounding it. Eweee-a! The resort does not look as pristine as the photos anymore but the years have given this resort magical rustic feeling that no photo could capture. Also, the website would have one believe the resort is secluded but that is NOT the case. The resort beaches are public (I knew this ahead of time because like you, I read the Tripadvisor reviews) and off to the sides of the resort along the beaches are some filthy, dirty back-packer havens with some "hotels or hostels", "restaurants and bars" and a few shops. They line the beach but the trash is just dumped into the ocean along with their sewage. Again, eweee-a!!! I recommend staying off of "Walking Street" It's seedy and very unfriendly. We stopped for a beer but after they left such a bad impression we regretted giving them any money. I also read about the noise from the long-tail boats but that didn't bother me because I found that to be part of the charm. We actually rented one for a half day tour, about $55 compared to the resort island trip for $350 or more :( BTW, the islands are also public and they are filled with people and vendors selling food so nix that romantic picnic lunch idea.
Now for the ugly. I know this is rated a 5 star resort so I expected to pay a premium. I was ok with that but I felt trapped by the resort's outrageous prices. Everything was 5 times more expensive than it should have been, especially in Thailand. We felt as though the resort was taking advantage of their captured audience. We stayed three nights, took a cooking class, I got one massage and we ate 3 light lunches and 3 dinners and drinks (one dinner was included and every breakfast too) and our bill was over $2,600!! So unless we wanted to pay too much for any excursion/massage/dinner we would have had to go to to one of the backpacker havens - yeah, no thanks. What we were not informed of through the resort or Tripadvisor was the very loud music from one of the neighboring hotels/hostels/bars that started every night around 11pm and lasted until 2-2:30 am!!! OMG!!!! It woke me up every night with the awful bass! That is what we complained about and since it is not from the resort there was nothing they could do about it except maybe sell us some expensive earplugs?
So summing it all up..
We loved the:
Upgraded spa pavilion
Incomparable setting of the resort with limestone cliffs and picturesque beaches
Staff (some exceptional, most were very good, a couple were snooty)
Fauna and flora
Food (we didn't try the Grotto - it was not what the photos look like. Unless we missed something it was more of an enclave than a cave and the floor was just dirt or sand and I don't like eating with ants...)
My favorite - the monkeys, they were everywhere and we thought they were so cute!! I'm sure the staff didn't because we did see one of the staff members holding a slingshot going to scare away the monkeys that were eating flowers off the "just married" golf cart, we were assured that they don't actually hit the monkeys, just scare them :/

We disliked the:
Loud music from the neighboring hostel/hotel
How easy it was to get lost on the giant resort property
Staff member holding a slingshot going to scare away the monkeys
Overpriced activities
Expensive spa menu
No inexpensive food options

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Spa Pavilion if you can. We loved the view from 3/45
8 Thank Deb W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

First visited the Rayavadee in 2000 and it was idyll the brochures claim - fantastic beach,beautiful location, quiet, well run hotel etc etc genuine 5 star.

Fast forward to 2013 - endless fleets of long tailed boats toing and froing dumping people on the beach from far away hotels ( beach virtually disappears at high tide so gets incredibly crowded), these boats have un-silenced diesil engines so create a very loud noise and pollution. Another boat arriving with drum and bass blasting out - end of of tropical idyll.... and that that is without mentioning the disco from a nearby backpacker bar that goes on to 3am and can be heard everywhere.

service was not 5 star - turning up at 10pm to turn down the bed, some restaurants under staffed etc, room look dated even after refurbishment.

It never pays to go back!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank traveller100x
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is truly a special hotel. We spend (too few) 4 days in this resort during our honeymoon. We were looking for something special.. not just the very nice resort that we can find in any nice beach destination. So after checking the reviews we chose this place.

We could have not done better. From the moment that the boat picked up up to the moment that it dropped us off, our honeymoon was made very special. Like many reviews already stated, the rooms are amazing. Even the entry level room is great, each is isolated and spotless.

What makes this place special is the location. Flanked by 3 beaches (2 of the most beautiful ones in Thailand) and by several of Krabi's limestone cliffs, the scenery is really hard to beat. And while anyone can reach the best beach by boat, few things are as rewarding as the peaceful sunset at 6pm when all the tourist boats are long gone.

The service was spotless. They are very responsive by email and calls. And while you are in the hotel, you will be treated very well. While we were there we saw another newlywed couple who lost their wedding ring in the (very large) pool. They brought in mask and snorkels and offered to help look for it.

the negatives are very few.. and the most glaring one is the expensive internet.. we did not pay for it.. we did not miss it either!

This is my first review/recommendation for any hotel.. but they were so good that i was compelled to write one!

I hope you go there and enjoy it.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem very well isolated and quiet. I think that the main decision is whether you pref...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Allan C
Bath
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

What a stunning location to be in. We had 4 nights here where we totally relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful pool and scenery. The villas were lovely with a downstairs living room, outside shaded terrace and upstairs bedroom and bathroom. Bliss!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
#8 of 13 in Railay Beach

Been to Rayavadee Resort? Share your experiences!