“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at Rayavadee for 3 nights as part of a superb holiday booked with Andaman Sky Adventures, which took in not only Railay but also Phuket and some islands too. It is hard to choose which was our favourite resort of the 4 we stayed at, but Rayavadee was definitely a hot favourite. We have holidayed before in the region, at Pimalai on Koh Lanta and at Phulay Bay near Ao Nang, so we now know the best the region has to offer. I’d put my top 3 resorts in the regon as these : Paresa, Pimalai and Rayavadee. We would have returned to Pimalai this trip but it was full.

From the word “go” everything about Rayavadee was great – the smooth airport pickup, quick transfer to the boat, the welcome cocktail, the calm check-in. Our bungalow was just great, we got one of the recently done-up ones thanks to our travel agent, who also got us a discount. There was lots of room, privacy and nice touches like home-made chocolates every day, even the cleaners seemed to have been trained in how to clean unobtrusively. The food was really, really good; breakfast included a selection of perfectly ripe tropical fruit with for me an English breakfast and for my wife a Thai breakfast, both of which were great. We ate only at the resort during our stay, so got to know the restaurants pretty well.

We weren’t so impressed with the resort’s restaurant in a cave by Phra Nang beach, as we ate a distinctly average pizza there, but the headline restaurant never failed to impress, particularly when we had the surf’n’turf, washed down with pricey but very good wine. I highly recommend this hotel and hope to return.

Room Tip: Book as part of an island hop with Andaman Sky Adventures, that way you won't get bored by stayi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sirussell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had to write this review, and the only reason it has taken a couple of months is because that is how long it takes to come back down to earth from the most amazing dreamy wedding that we were lucky enough to have at the Rayavadee. Let me give you a blow by blow account…

Welcome arrival to Rayavadee:
This is spectacular and awesome. We travelled to Krabi via ferry transfer from Phuket town (around 1.5 hours). The ferry does a transfer to the private Rayavadee speed boat which speeds you around the coastline to your welcome party. You certainly are made to feel like royalty especially when the rest of the ferry passengers are getting lobbed into their long tails!! On arrival at the resort, the staff welcome you to the island with gorgeous floral arm bands. You are also given really tasty welcome drink of sherbet/lime coconut from memory… We loved this so much it was the welcome drink at our wedding also for our guests.

Rooms:
The rooms are kept immaculate by the staff at all times. They are made up during the day a number of times. To be honest, the people on trip advisor whinging about the rooms being tired need to get over it, and obviously have ridiculous standards and also don’t get the whole point behind Rayavadee. Gorgeous big spa bath, lots of lovely toiletries made by resort, the little turn down sweets are a lovely touch. Complimentary snacks and drinks (alcoholic and soft drink) plus fabulous plunger coffee and tea selection was great! Also the fruit basket on arrival is full of fabulous selection of unusual but very tasty local fruits.

Service:
I will not be able to do this section any justice. YOU WILL NOT FIND BETTER SERVICE ANYWHERE! I apologise to all of the staff that I don’t remember their names to mention. There were many more who made our stay so special. They were the reason we loved the Rayavadee so much and will be back!! Where do I start… As a bride, and an overseas one at that (I came from Australia and organised the whole thing via email and Skype), there could be no other resort anywhere in the world that would have better understood what I was getting at, Lisa Sookkree was an absolute standout as a wedding coordinator. This is included in your wedding package – she and her colleagues (another standout when at the resort was Nan) will do absolutely everything in their power to make sure that your special day goes EXACTLY to plan. No detail is overlooked, we even had a special detail by detail sit down while last minute taste testing cocktails the night before, to check everything plus to go through not only plan B but plan C should the weather not hold out on the day. You would not get this service in Australia – well at least not the services of a full blown wedding coordinator without paying for one.
Other staff members included Mr Nat by the pool, and Merry. My heart is so happy to remember all the special wonderful things the staff did for our day but also all of our guests for our entire stay. One particular memorable moment that I will NEVER forget is that a small gesture (but what an amazing one) of Merry on the dance floor. We had this in the Grotto on sand so there was a spotlight but not disco ball etc. It was quite humid dancing around so Merry got a fan and spray bottle PLUS a torch and was not only spraying cold water through the fan to cool us off on the dance floor but was swinging around his other arm with the torch switching the light on and off to create a disco ball effect for us!!! This went on ALL night!! Absolutely amazing xoxoxo Mr Nat dancing with me on the dance floor was also so great!! Loved it. The bar staff on the wedding night sure knew how to make a mean cocktail (unfortunately for our heads the next day!!) which was so great! They were lots of fun and made the wedding night fabulous for all of our guests.

Everyone was so kind and it absolutely made our stay. All of the staff knew about our wedding and asked about it the next day, which made it really special. I don’t know where but there was a stupid review on Trip Advisor some time ago about the General Manager not making much of his presence known to guests. I don’t know which resort they stayed at but it wasn’t Rayavadee. Reza the GM was everywhere, and not just near us for our wedding. He is extremely involved in the day to day experience of the guests and you will often see him around. He was lovely as the ‘celebrant’ for our wedding, and made sure to check on pronunciation etc. It was lovely.

Food:
Awesome!! Nothing else to say. Breakfast is WOW!!! Our wedding food was spectacular and everyone commented on how awesome it was. My new groom and I had a wonderful seafood platter on the night after our wedding that we couldn’t finish. The inclusions as part of your wedding package are very generous!!

Spa:
OH MY! The spa!! Treat yourself! The girls are fabulously good at what they do. Who cares about the expense, its awesome! And look where you are! Spoil yourself. The girls on the wedding day caring for me (the bride) and my bridesmaid were so funny and lovely. They were fabulous at their makeup artistry and hair dressing skills. The basket of flowers that we got to choose our wedding hair flowers from was ridiculous! It was huge and full of no less than about 50 flowers!!!

Wedding Day:
For those potential brides and grooms out there considering a destination wedding in Thailand. FORGET THE REST – GO TO RAYAVADEE. I reviewed SO many resorts in Thailand and this was the way to go. It really wasn’t that expensive, but you may pay more than other resorts. Trust me, from what I have seen in pics of other resorts and weddings there, they pale in comparison. You will NOT regret it. On a side note, go with PAMFOLIO for your photography and videography. They are ridiculously awesome also! Our wedding day (as mentioned above) was in every aspect a dream wedding. It was such as gorgeous location, but also the level of service, attention to detail, quality of flowers the FLOWERS WOW!!, the FOOD, the drinks – OMG still recovering from those Railay Iced Teas…. Made it the most awesome destination wedding I could ever have imagined. Did I mention the FLOWERS!!! Our guests were going on about it for the remainder of the trip and still bring it up every time about how dreamy and perfect the day was. They genuinely made statements such as ‘best wedding I have ever seen or been to’ – and trust me, I have been to enough weddings to know that ours (No bias I promise ;) ) totally blew away any other wedding that I ever have or ever will attend… Sorry to all my mates getting married in the future. But ours rocked!! FYI If you do go ahead with a wedding at Rayavadee – check with Lisa for DJ Ting details (through Carolyn at the Bamboo Bar in Railay). He was ridiculously good on the guitar – his voice is spectacular. So many people were in awe of how amazing he was. He also rocked the dance floor with his DJ tracks. He is also easy on the eye for all the single ladies at your wedding!!! ;)
Leaving the resort:
I’ll get to the point – I cried. I didn’t want to go. I didn’t want it to end. I want to go back. The end! Nothing more to say!!!! LOVE YOU RAYAVADEE xoxoxoxoxo
I feel like I made a whole bunch of new friends. I don’t mean that in a corny way. I do genuinely feel like the staff cared about all of us and wanting to make sure we had the best experience possible. This is hard to find in any resort anywhere. But you can guarantee you will find this at the Rayavadee. Xxooxoxoxoxo
Any brides that wish to contact me for further info about the Rayavadee or planning a Thailand wedding from afar, please do so via Trip advisor!! Happy to chat with you and give you any tips I can xx

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Henri_dog23
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good welcome from friendly staff. Good quality villas. Nice beaches and good scenery. Food, wine and trips from the hotel outrageously expensive. Bottle of Hardys wine which you can buy for £6 or £7 in England cost nearly £60 in the restaurant. Our room close to the swimming pool and beach was convenient, but it was a nearly 10 minute walk to get to breakfast. Grounds are immaculate. No point snorkelling from the beaches, the water was not clear. You are a bit isolated in Railay and not much to do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank stanley066
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The site is spectacular and the grounds are gorgeous and immaculate. The food is magnificent, and the service almost overwhelming. But is it really worth the extravagant price? With rooms ranging from nearly $800 to over $4,000 per night (breakfast -- but no other meals -- included), I would have to say no, not for me. Breakfasts are ample and varied (don't miss the Asian choices). We chose to skip lunches, and had all our dinners at the Thai restaurant (there are a couple of others) which offered the most interesting choices. The menu contains many choices that you won't find at typical Thai restaurants, and they are beautifully prepared. (The soft-shell crab was a personal favorite.) By choosing carefully and avoiding the astronomically over-priced wine list, we were able to keep our costs (for 2 people) under $100 for dinner. Disclaimer: I do not normally stay in places at this end of the price spectrum. This visit was made possible by my wife's purchasing our 5-day visit in an online auction that cut the price by by 70%. If you can manage to get a deal like this -- or if money is simply not an issue for you -- you will likely find a stay here rewarding and relaxing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Marconelli
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights with my family during Easter break.
Hotel staff are very good at waht they do.
Hotel was also very beautiful with pristine beaches.
But 3 days were enough, couldnt take the noise of the insects in the gardens
Overall a wonderful experience

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DharmK
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was the perfect romantic hotel. It's set on peninsula so can only be reached by boat and surrounded by 3 soft sandy beaches. The hotel grounds are unbeleivablely immaculate, the villas are 2 storey furnished with traditional materials but with contemporary luxuries. Room service was delivered on a bike by the warm welcoming staff. The on site restraint served great food with real Thai dancers and musicians. We had monkeys come and visit whislt we were having breakast! We cannot fault this truly beautiful hotel which any prospective honeymooners should seriously consider visiting. We will be going back for sure. Perfect.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zulfi M
St. Albans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days here while travelling in Thailand. First things first, the villa and grounds are absolutely beautiful, something you'd expect for the price they charge.

The food in the Thai restaurant is incredibly overpriced and, very uncommon for Thailand, not very good at all. The slow braised rack of lamb was maybe slow braised, but not for more than 5 minutes as it was bloody and rare. The soft shell crab was smothered in a thick and boring Thai curry paste, what a waste. We chose to eat the remaining days in restaurants on the beach (not part of the resort) and enjoyed the food at a fraction of the price.

Another thing that did not sit well with me is that they charge a 10% service charge for every drink, dish or service you order. It's a high price luxury resort, service is expected to be included, especially at the 'London level' prices they charge for everything.

You could order WiFi for the villa as well, but that is 500 baht per day per device. I assume service charge and tax goes on top, but I didn't bother asking.

Breakfast was good, I especially liked the Asian breakfast options (Congee etc). Keep in mind though that this is not a 'couples only' resort so expect crying babies.

Although the villa was very nice, the Airco in the bedroom was very loud, even at its lowest setting. As a result I didn't sleep as well as I expected.

Service in general is quite good, definitely friendly, but some nights they were very late (21:15) with the turn down service. We had to slip into our robes and sit downstairs while they worked for a couple of minutes on our room.

The beaches are quite busy, but I didn't mind. I especially liked the small food and drink boats. It gave me a chance to get something decent to eat and drink without paying over the top.

4 Stars (3.5 if TripAdvisor offered that as an option)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
#9 of 13 in Railay Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,970 reviews

Been to Rayavadee Resort? Share your experiences!