“Simply my most favourite hotel in probably the best spot in Thailand :)”
Review of Rayavadee Resort

Rayavadee Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Railay Beach
London
“Simply my most favourite hotel in probably the best spot in Thailand :)”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've been meaning to write a report on my stay at the wonderful Rayavadee for a good few months now. I'm generally hopeless at getting round to these things, but I really couldn't let this one go. I spent simply, the most wonderful 9 nights here at the end of last year with 2 girlfriends and I could not fault any part of it. I am fortuntate enough to consider myself not only well travelled in this region but also well aquainted with some of the finest resorts Asia has to offer (and there are many), however, this is by far the most wonderful place I have ever stayed. The beaches are straight from a postcard, the accommodation just fitting between traditional Thai but with modern touches where needed, and the huge grounds give a real feel of being on your own private island, shared only by the local monkeys and the other guests (who with the size of the resort seem few and far between). For me the staff made the stay extra special, every one we came across greeted us warmly, we were even invited for drinks with the General Manager.
The great thing for us also was that although this is a romantic couples dream, we didnt feel uncomfortable as a few girlfriends enjoying a trip away. The resorts 3 restaurants offer some of the best Thai (and Italian, fusion) food I have ever tasted, in the best settings. we were regulars sipping half price presecco at happy hour every night at the Grotto bar (set within a cave on Pranang beach - got to be the best bar in the world) but also there are a great choice of local restaurants a stroll away if we fancied a venture out. The only downside was leaving, we were at one point considering burying our passports :) I will return as soon as I can. Just divine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deborah Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Rayavadee and i have to say it is probably the best place I've ever stayed. It was for a few nights as part of a longer trip and it was definitely the highlight!

The area is absolute paradise - all my photos look like postcards, it really is as beautiful as it looks in all the pictures! I know people have said the beaches aren't as they appear, but when i was there they were great - not completely isolated so there was plenty of people watching to do, and i actually really loved watching the longtails come in and out, but also not overly busy and plenty of space to sunbathe or take a stroll. There's also plenty of space for sunbathing in Rayavadee - loungers all around the pool (which is MASSIVE) and a whole area of loungers called the Umbrella Tree Court which looks out over the Phranang beach.

The rooms were so cool, you get a whole pavilion to yourself and they are really amazing. We stayed in a Deluxe pavilion which had a downstairs and upstairs, so loads of space, and the bathrooms are really beautiful with loads of gorgeous toiletries. Also, you get a jar of home made cookies every day in the living room, which are free! I was also impressed to see that quite a lot of the mini bar was also free, which is a nice touch.

The food in general was amazing, especially the Thai restaurant which is probably the best food i ate on the whole trip, and having a cocktail at The Grotto (coolest bar/restaurant I've ever seen) while you watch the sun go down on Phranang beach is magical.

The staff were brilliant, i couldn't fault them. Attentive and helpful but not overbearing, we never needed to ask for anything - whatever we needed was already done! The pool staff were really good actually, as soon as you get to a lounger someone is there putting pillows and towels on it and getting you cold water.

Oh, and one other thing - the spa is a MUST! it's like walking in to another hotel, so grand and beautiful, and the lady there talked me through all the treatments to decide which would be best for me (especially important for facials i think) and i came out feeling so relaxed and replenished.

Basically this is my favourite place on earth, i loved everything about it and was only sorry that i didnt have longer there. Next time i go to Thailand I'm blocking out a week at least for Rayavadee!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Megan Y
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here with my family during the easter break 2012, family being me (18) my brother (14), my sister (4) and parents. We stayed in the Phranang Villa 401, which we hadn't originally booked but, having stayed there before and since my parents were renewing their vows & having a ceremony there, we were bumped up to a nicer villa! The villa was amazing, right on the beach with 3 bedroom buildings, 2 normal ones and 1 master bedroom, each with their own ensuite bathroom, there was one other building which was the dining room. Between the buildings was a sizeable private pool with some sunbeds which was perfect. Everything was super clean, staff extremely kind and helpful, very polite. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Krabi! One of the best hotels I've ever visited. Also, the island is absolutely stunning!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lvstockley
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst travelling around Thailand which was a massive mistake, i should have stayed for the whole trip, or even moved in. Utterly phenomenal place.

They seemed to have lots of excursions to do but i did absolutely none of them because i didnt want to leave the place. My days consisted of:

* Walking through the stunning grounds for breakfast, with monkeys swinging above you through the tropical trees

* Choosing either the paradise like white sands of one of the beaches (essentially private as it is inaccessible unless you are staying at the hotel) or the more lively beach, which is shared by other hotels and guest houses but is large enough and absolutely stunning.

* And basically spending the day not wanting to leave.

We had dinner at the Thai restaurant, which was delicious, some of the best food i had all around Thailand.

Our stand alone villa was absolute luxury, comfortable and secluded, it felt like our own little tropical house.

Before dinner each night we went to the grotto, a bar built into some caves with sand underfoot. Sitting here having a drink, watching the sun go down over the sea is probably one of the most ridicuously romantic things you can do.

Staff were very helpful and friendly (as they are all over Thailand to be fair) and we even bumped into the manager who had a drink with us before dinner one night, a little touch but went a long way.

I must admit to not understanding the negative review below this one, i have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and Rayavadee is the only one i have every written a trip advisor review for, because of the need to tell people about this place. Definitely go!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul Y
Milan, Italy
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have been at Rayavadee with family (5 year old child) between Jan 3 and 8, 2013. The resort is fantastic and one of the best I have stayed in: excellent restaurants, perfect bungalows "explorer style", beauty products, very professional and helpful staff with some doing above their duties. Try the thai boxing and super-stretch classes and also the tennis lessons/sparring. With that in mind I am sorry to say that Railay Beach is not what I expected: the setting is breath-taking but the noise and pollution by the long-tail boats make it a not-to-go place at all. It is also very crowded but that is not the problem really, the noise and the pollution of the sea are self-explanatory.

Room Tip: take a bungalow close to the pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Rayavadee is not like any other resort we've been to. The setting is simply stunning - the dramatic limestone cliffs plunging into the turquoise ocean.

It's not as isolated as we thought it would be - there are other resorts next to Rayavadee, but this is on a different league to it's neighbours. The public beach also gets v busy in the daytime, but this added to the atmosphere for us.

It is v expensive, especially given the rooms are on the small side & they could probably do with a refurb, but we'd definitely go back.

For more photos & a detailed review see our blogspot, thisiscurbappeal

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Thisiscurbappeal
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have just spent 4 weeks in Thailand on holiday. 3 days in the Peninsula Bangkok which was incredible. A week in the JW Marriot Khao lak which was OK, and a week in Phulay bay which was beyond amazing. The last 4 days were at Rayavadee and what a shock.

I am totally shocked by the other reviews of this hotel and can only imagine that they are written by the hotel or by people that are set in their ways. This is a shame because the place is awful, loud and run down. This is not the place to visit with a family and experience paradise. You will be disappointed.

I have wanted to visit Rayavadee for about 15 years but never quite managed it. The place is expensive and during my travels over December the cheapest room was $800, yes the cheapest.

My visit has crushed a dream and made my family and i very sad.

STANDARD

Rayavadee is NOT a 5 star hotel, maybe 4 star boutique at the very most and even this is pushing it. Yes they have nice soap and bathroom products but this does not make a 5 star hotel. The grounds are poorly kept and it is scruffy. If you book anything below the hydro pool pavilion stand by for no privacy at all. Infact your terrace will be right next to one of the main walk ways so you have no where to relax outside. The rooms are close to each other and very open plan. The walk to the beach will be 10 minutes and when you get to the beach you will be met by over a 1000 day trippers.

LOCATION

The main reason that this hotel charges a premium is because of the location. I can assure you that it is a paradise lost. Between 0700-0900 it is a paradise. Amazing beach, peaceful and incredible to behold. At some point though and normally at about 0900 about 1000 tourists will arrive to secure their place on the beach. The noise of the long tail boats is unbelievable, so loud and it is relentless, it does not stop all day so if you like the smell of fumes from the boats and the sound of a car engine without an exhaust by all means go and throw away your well earned cash. I could have cried and never got over how full Railey and Phrang beaches are. My numbers are conservative trust me. If you like a beach where you can no longer see sand, experience constant noise, fumes, and 30 boat anchors crowding the beach then this is your place. As one boat leaves another 5 arrive and this goes on all day.

You have sun lounges by the pool which are hard and no mattresses and also over looking Phrang beach where day trippers will try and feed the monkeys and no doubt the guests too.

ACCOMMODATION

The accommodation is ok, maybe even nice but not luxurious. I arrived at this resort following 6 days at Phulay bay and did i wish i would have stayed. Infact i would have returned if they had availability but they were full and no wonder so had to stay which I regretted every day.

I booked a deluxe pavilion which was so run down it was a joke. See the pictures of the so called terrace, a bargain at $800 a night. Even internet is charged extra?? come on. I refused to move in and asked to leave the resort. I rang the Ritz Carlton to see if they had any rooms but all was full which was a shame.

Eventually i was moved to a family pavilion with hydro pool (Dont let the word pool fool you it is a 2m x 1.5m dip tank)

The room was very nice and spacious but at a cool regular $2500 a night i was amazed. Again very run down and was suppose to have been recently renovated. I can not believe people spend this sort of money and are happy. for $150 yes but $2500???

The rooms are very dark and because of the location and windows you can not open the blinds. My wife hated it, dark and claustrophobic.

FOOD

Breakfast was disappointing. I asked for bacon and eggs and was given 2 eggs with a strand of streaky bacon?? very poor indeed and i have had better food at street vendors in Bangkok .

We had dinner twice in the hotel. The Thai restaurant was very good but expensive, was very tasty though.

We also had dinner on Railey terrace which was outstanding. The best meal i had in Thailand. I was surprised by the quality of the food and how great it tasted. Good selection of wines and food. A well done.

Summary

I can not recommend Rayavadee, sorry. It is over priced and is a bit of a dive. Nothing about the place is 5 star apart from the Railey restaurant. I would recommend a day trip eat lunch and leave it will save the heart ache.

The noise is one of the things the hotel can do nothing about, it will never go away and it ruins the place. That said there are a few things that can be sorted. Firstly the place needs a real good shake and renovation. It is living in the 90s. The fences are tired together with wire and are scruffy and the patios are falling to bits. Even the vegetation is poor and looks like weeds rather than tropical plants. The bathrooms are nice but not at the price they charge. The baths are made of plastic and are cheap as are most of the fittings. This place needs serious investment.

The management are not seen. Unusual for a hotel with only 90 rooms, I mean how hard can it be?? The only management I met was Chompol the guest relations manager who is superb and understanding, he did his best to try and cheer us up but there are somethings that cant be changed at this place.

I have not enjoyed writing this review and very nearly did not write it but I want you to know what this place is really like. I don’t want a family to have to endure what we did and ruin a holiday. All the pictures on the web site are taken at 0800 in the mng or late at night to give the impression of paradise but that is not true.

I can only say that if you are thinking about a special holiday in Krabi go to the Ritz carlton, it is the new kid on the block and is a true paradise. The premium there is understandable. The two resorts can not be compared.

I predict that Rayavadee will loose its 5 star status and will become extinct. A shame and for me paradise lost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
#8 of 13 in Railay Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,034 reviews

Been to Rayavadee Resort? Share your experiences!