“An Amazing Day Over and In the Sea”

Railay Rock Climbing Shop - Day Adventures
Saint Louis, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“An Amazing Day Over and In the Sea”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

What an incredible way to spend the day! We opted for the Deep Water Free Solo, which had me scared at first, but the professionalism displayed by Michael and the crew quickly put me at ease. Quality equipment, solid climbing advice and a fun itinerary. I never felt in danger even though a storm seemed to be rolling by most of the day (which never actually hit us) and the activity was inherently dangerous. I highly recommend climbing with Railay Rock Climbing Shop.

Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Taipei, Taiwan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Super and Best rock climbing experiment!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friend made reservation from Taiwan and we came to Railay to confirm our schedule one day prior.
The climbing shop is not so big but easy to be found in the walking street in West Railay.
After warm greeting, they reminded us all the detail for our climbing schedule on next day.
To a new beginner to this activity and especially this is my first time to try abseiling.
They gave me a very unforgettable experiment.
All staff in shop are so friendly. All of them can speak fluent English and even for Non English-speaking country's traveler, they just can find some other way to communicate to each other. Language is totally not an issue there.
Clear and very professional instruction when do the rock climbing and they are always very patient to explain all skill question, secure our safety very carefully.Our climbing guide gave me a lot of confident and helped me can reach the target.
They are professional, enthusiastic and proud of their job.
This climbing shop is highly recommended for those after adventure when you come to visit Railay.
You definitely won't reget it

Visited February 2013
2 Thank lunlunshen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best climbing school in Railay!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Really nice honest people who know what they're doing. My instructor for the 3day course was Jay, a nice guy who knows all the climbing routes as if it's his own backyard. Always felt save climbing with him. I can highly recommend climbing with Jay, beginner or experienced, he taught me a lot in just a couple of days. All the equipment is decent and taken care of. I'll definitely come back one day!

2 Thank YvesSmit
Lima, Peru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Safe, Professional, and Friendly”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

As a beginner to any new activity, you can often feel a bit insecure and vulnerable. Add in the fear factor of climbing and it becomes clear why a quality instructor is essential to enjoy this sport. I decided to check out Railay Rock Climbing Shop after reading the reviews on this site.

I stopped by the shop which is located on "Walking Street" in West Railay. Jane (the owner and former climber with the Thai national team) greeted me and we chatted for quite some time about the climbing packages and other things related to Railay. I sat down and talked to a young man who had completed a day of the three day course. He was very impressed with his instructor, particularly on his knowledge of climbing and commitment to safety. I decided this was enough and booked the 3 day course for 6,000 baht.

Jay was my instructor for the three days. I could not have been happier. He was patient, professional, and most importantly, very safe. He inspected the equipment each day to ensure proper working order, and clearly knew exactly what was going on through every aspect of the climb to ensure optimum safety. I must admit, I was not a quick learner, yet Jay was extremely patient and helpful. Routes were chosen to match skill level, and there was plenty of climbing to be done.

I must say, that if you plan to pick up climbing as a new sport or hobby and want to learn all the basics, the 3 day course is necessary. You will learn everything (including lead climbing) that will get you started. If you just want to do a fun climb and snap some pictures of yourself clinging to a wall hanging over turquoise waters, a half day should suit you just fine. Either way will be a ton of fun!

Although I can unequivocally recommend Railay Rock Climbing Shop, I must also say that the instructors from the other shops I met and observed at the walls also seemed very professional. The whole climbing scene at Railay seems to be very dedicated to the integrity of the sport. Try it out, you won't regret it!

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Sam F
Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Excellent guide and great experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We caught a boat over to Railay Beach from Ao Nang the day prior to rock climbing to have a look around and organise a climb. We decided on Railay Rock Climbing Shop and were very happy with the decision. The climbing guide spoke excellent English and really pushed us to go higher and higher! The climbing gear was all a good standard and the guides had a good safety focus.

My girlfriend and I climbed for about 3 hours, after which we could do no more.

If you are in the Ao Nang/Railay area, this climb is highly recommended for those after some adventure.

Visited July 2012