“Safe, Professional, and Friendly”

Railay Rock Climbing Shop - Day Adventures
Lima, Peru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Safe, Professional, and Friendly”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

As a beginner to any new activity, you can often feel a bit insecure and vulnerable. Add in the fear factor of climbing and it becomes clear why a quality instructor is essential to enjoy this sport. I decided to check out Railay Rock Climbing Shop after reading the reviews on this site.

I stopped by the shop which is located on "Walking Street" in West Railay. Jane (the owner and former climber with the Thai national team) greeted me and we chatted for quite some time about the climbing packages and other things related to Railay. I sat down and talked to a young man who had completed a day of the three day course. He was very impressed with his instructor, particularly on his knowledge of climbing and commitment to safety. I decided this was enough and booked the 3 day course for 6,000 baht.

Jay was my instructor for the three days. I could not have been happier. He was patient, professional, and most importantly, very safe. He inspected the equipment each day to ensure proper working order, and clearly knew exactly what was going on through every aspect of the climb to ensure optimum safety. I must admit, I was not a quick learner, yet Jay was extremely patient and helpful. Routes were chosen to match skill level, and there was plenty of climbing to be done.

I must say, that if you plan to pick up climbing as a new sport or hobby and want to learn all the basics, the 3 day course is necessary. You will learn everything (including lead climbing) that will get you started. If you just want to do a fun climb and snap some pictures of yourself clinging to a wall hanging over turquoise waters, a half day should suit you just fine. Either way will be a ton of fun!

Although I can unequivocally recommend Railay Rock Climbing Shop, I must also say that the instructors from the other shops I met and observed at the walls also seemed very professional. The whole climbing scene at Railay seems to be very dedicated to the integrity of the sport. Try it out, you won't regret it!

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Sam F

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Excellent guide and great experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We caught a boat over to Railay Beach from Ao Nang the day prior to rock climbing to have a look around and organise a climb. We decided on Railay Rock Climbing Shop and were very happy with the decision. The climbing guide spoke excellent English and really pushed us to go higher and higher! The climbing gear was all a good standard and the guides had a good safety focus.

My girlfriend and I climbed for about 3 hours, after which we could do no more.

If you are in the Ao Nang/Railay area, this climb is highly recommended for those after some adventure.

Visited July 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
“I couldn't believe that I could do it. OMG!!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My instructor's Tum. He's cool then he took me and friends looking around Railay after rock climbing. That was nice and fun for my first time in Railay. My lags was shaking when I climbed up and I said "please let me down. I couldn't do that any more" :'(
Finally, I got rock climbing level 6 coz. his saying "believe your legs...Thanks a million Tum and the gang. See u all at Railay again in this coming 10-13 October.

Visited November 2011
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Railay Rock Shop Rocks!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Go see Jane for any of your climbing desires! She's awesome, runs a nice business on west beach, and employs very professional guides.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank lucas s
Denver, Colorado
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great time with a great guide”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My partner and I went to Railay beach strictly for rock climbing as he is a rock climbing instructor in New Zealand. As I have little/no experience we needed a guide to show us around. We booked everything through Andaman Sky tour company and our original climbing guide canceled on us. So the owners of Andaman called us and booked us with Railay Rock Climbing Shop. They also took the time to take us personally over the Railay from Krabi. We had a wonderful time climbing and I felt totally safe and in great hands with our guide. He pushed us just enough and took us to areas where there was climbing for him and me in the same area. Great fun!

Visited May 2012