“Nice place”

Ranked #2 of 2 Railay Beach B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights to chill out by the beach for a few days. I heard good things about this hotel and place from my climbing friends. Paid 1600BHT per night for a bungalow. In some ways it was good value for money. I didn't feel the staff were very friendly or were wilin to help much. Had problems with the wifi and they didn't very interested in helping with that. Aside from that the bungalows are lovely. Clean, spacious, with air con, fan,fridge, kettle, complimentary water and tea coffee and hair dryer. We didn't get any hot water the whole time though which I would have expected for that price. The staff shrugged when I mentioned there was no hot water ans made no effort to assist. Lovely little coffee place next door and in a lovely quiet location next to a tiny beginners climbing area. WI FI when it did eventually work was in the reception area only. Would come here again but in the low season only as I feel it's not worth it in high season.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the bungalows. Lovely rooms on stilts.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shiv2012123

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple off nights while climbing in Railay. Bamboo bungalow with fan for 300B. We stayed first one night at the Rapala Rockwood Resort and this is definitely much better. Beds are good, sheets are clean, staff was friendly. The bungalows show their age but are spacious and have a big porch. Only cold shower. The resort is right next to the best coffee bar where they serve great coffee and Thai tea!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is lovely. The rooms are clean, have nice views, and the price is good, however, the staff has a terrible attitude. It just seemed they where doing me a favour each time I would ask for something. I tried dealing with different staff members including 3 different receptionists, and each time they had a bad attitude and just wanted to continue browsing the net or texting. It's a shame, because the place is nice, and I would've stayed there more nights, but I just can't stand such a terrible attitude.

Room Tip: Nice rooms, but if you go to a bungalow, expect it to be just a bungalow...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lex84Auckland

Travelers are raving about these Railay Beach hotels

Krakow, Poland
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I would say everything was OK and price was good. The bungalow we got was nice with quiet aircon, spacious bathroom, pleasant terrace and the place is full of greenery. There was no water in the bathroom but they fixed it in 10 min. A bit of construction work around but they were not starting too early and it was quiet at night.
No complains but no excitement as in some other places.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We paid 300 baht for a bungalow in low season, which is the cheapest we could find in Railay. You get what you pay for so if you're only prepared to pay $10 a night for 2 people in a place like Railay that generally isn't the cheapest then you can't expect luxury.

We were pleasantly surprised. The bungalow was clean and quite nice inside, with attached bathroom, enough space, decent bed and some furniture for storage. We were provided with large towels and toiletries, which we didn't expect in a budget place, and the staff gave me an extra sheet when I asked. Generally I thought the staff were very friendly. There is free wifi in the reception.

The shower is cold water only, which is not really a problem for us when it's hot. Main downside to the bathroom is that there is a gap at the top where mosquitoes can get in so you need to keep the door shut so they don't get into the main room. We didn't get many mosquitoes in the main bungalow (event though the floor is not airtight and has gaps) but there was a mosquito net provided anyway, albeit one that was patched up with tape.

The bungalows are more into the forest up the hill, so it is a bit of walk to the beaches (maybe 15 minutes to either beach) and as you would expect in Thailand there are a lot of mosquitoes so sitting out on the veranda wasn't that appealing even with the mosquito coils provided.

Overall, we felt this was a good value budget option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed in a bungalow in mid-April. Had a bad feeling from the start when I asked to see the bungalow before committing to take it. It was pretty rough looking at first glance but I was carrying so much baggage and was so hot, sweaty, and tired after walking up the hill to reach the headlands that I just said 'screw it i can survive a night here.' It was hands down the worst place I stayed in my 3 week trip throughout Thailand. The bungalows are ill equipped and dilapidated... The walls and ceilings are not connected so god knows what jungle critters can come in as they please. The mosquito net was FULL OF HOLES. The sink didn't work. The wifi didn't work. The water stunk of sulfur. Instead of a blanket or sheet- I had a towel to cover myself. I could hear termites going to work on the posts and see the sawdust.The staff was rude, stand-offish, and the stay was not cheap. I woke up at 1am, with my bed swarming with mosquitos because the net offered no protection, and LARGE BLACK ANTS had crawled into the bed. I did not sleep ALL night, I just had to get out of bed at 3 am and face that I was not going to sleep.

In the morning when I went to check out, I told the front desk about all my issues and asked for a discount. I insisted that there were too many problems to warrant me paying their full price. They were completely rude, blamed me for not asking to have my room switched after I had inspected the room before agreeing to take it (as if I knew from a 5 second glance that ants would crawl into bed with me), they told me they were already giving me a discounted price... and just ended with "YOU PAY RIGHT NOW... YOU PAY RIGHT NOW."

(The only silver lining to this story is that because I did not sleep all night, I managed to catch an amazing sunrise over the east side of the island.)

Do not stay here. Its truly awful. I experienced some amazing hospitality everywhere else in Thailand, and even in the places where i was 'roughing it' a little, at least it was clean and the people were friendly. But this place was absolutely the worst. Stay away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Merav K
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel should be ashamed. We stayed in their 500 baht bungalow and what an awful time we had. Basically ruined our time here.

We paid upfront for 3 nights (big mistake) and each night was worse than the next. The bungalow was falling apart literally. Several BIG holes in the floor, feels like you're going to fall through completely at any moment. The ceiling bows and each wall is covered in damp and it's so musty. The shower was completely hopeless, spraying pathetically ice cold water in all directions. Huge cockroaches coming up the sink drain and running around as you try to brush your teeth. Just horrific! Even with a mosquito net (although badly damaged - we tried to cover the holes with tape) we were bitten to death! And had small bugs running across us all the time in the bed. The 2nd night there was a rat running around the room, I was terrified.

The next day I asked the receptionist I wanted to move - or at least have the holes covered up and got nothing but grief saying I could "leave if I wanted" ...great service. She called her boss and fobbed me off to him on the phone, who also refused to help in anyway or offer any discount for our last night repeating "talk to my staff" and hanging up the phone. We'd already paid and had no time to move as we had a tour to go to that day, so our hands were tied.
We saw in the 2000 baht air con suite, which to be fair looks really nice if you're willing to pay so much.

Shame we had to live in absolute squalor down the path. This whole experience was very distressing. Please do't do it to yourselves and avoid at all costs!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple