“A truly wine experience in the vineyards of the Kakheti region”

Schuchmann Wines Chateau & SPA
Ranked #1 of 56 Telavi B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Relaxing. Lovely.
You will have the most advanced degustation of wines of the cellar for a very cheap price: 3, 4 or 5 glasses for less than 20 euro. Wines: White and Red European style making, White and Red Georgian Traditional. You will appretiate the differences between them...
Rooms are also excellent with all that you need.
Views of the Caucasus mountains from the room are superb!
A must go in the Kakheti region. You will not be disappointed at all!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Beautiful place with wonderful staff and excellent food not to forget the wine tour by ilia and wine tasting.
It was exactly what we had needed,a beautiful place to unwind and relax.
The staff was wonderful,very helpful,spoke good english. Ilia ,the manager organised reasonable and comfortable taxis for us whenever needed.
Thank you all for the wonderful time..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Schuchmann Wines Chateau caters to Europeans and foreigners more than to Georgians. It is situated gracefully atop a rise in the valley and affords a splendid scenic view of the Alazani Wine Valley.

Just a few days ago I spent the weekend in a junior luxury suite with my companion, on my birthday. We celebrated it alone here. I thought we might meet other traveling couples or parties, but it was nearly deserted at this time of year, after the summer season. Just one bewildered English speaking middle age couple were there, in the evening, who were worried about getting a car service back the two hours to Tbilisi, to the capital airport, and if too slowly, missing their flight. In the morning there was a sullen Japanese American mother, with her petulant early teenage son, at the breakfast buffet.

When I checked out and paid, I was told by Ilia the desk manager, that in only two days the wine and food would be free for guests who pay for an overnight room. I believe he even said “unlimited” gourmet enjoyment. I was stung by pangs of frugality on hearing it.

My companion is Georgian and she told me the menu was very European, not very Georgian. The food was excellent, especially for Georgia, and the small brötchen fresh baked hot rolls were a real treat in a country that normally has Spanish matador hat-sized flat portions of cold leathery bread. The rumors of Schuchmann maintaining an Austrian chef on the premises most definitely must be true.

I was very pleased by the architecture and design of the chateau, here in a country where anything to do with architecture is usually remiss. The heating was excellent [it is already cold here at night], as were the beds and linen and comforters and pillows and furnishings. Electrical sockets were in the right places [another rarity in all Georgia], as were lamps on bed stands, near your hand and easy to use and to manipulate. The balcony was palatial and had stunning views of the wine valley.

The wines here are properly and professionally made and even better distributed to Scandanavia and Germany and China. I have been told that the owner comes from Germany and was a corporate sales person most of his life to China from Germany. When he retired and kicked around Georgia a bit, he was seized by the idea of entering the wine business. For me the wines produced here are more European than most other Georgian wineries, but something was slightly missing in texture and romance and indefinable quality. I think the ingredient is called “love” of grapes and wine making, like the actor Gerard Depardieu exhibited as he got older and later put more energy into wine making than into more and more acting. Think of film director Francis Ford Coppola also.

The twist off wine bottle tops reminded me of Boones Farm wine and the early pioneering 7-11 chain store bottles of Gallo wine. For some cunning practical business scheme, corks are not used by Schuchmann. So when you buy a bottle of expensive wine, and it is touted as “fine” wine, and you get a metal twist off cap, and it reminds you of homeless winos in California, well, it kinda spoils what comes next. The wine expert there assured us that it did not matter, “no no no”.

The 2006 Tsinandali was better than most Tsinandalis from the area, and we were told this bottle batch was from a 'special blend' of Rkatsiteli grapes and Mtsvani grapes. The Kisi white wine, unfiltered, was forgettable, and almost not enjoyable. Most of their Saperavi red wines on the menu I have purchased at the large retail store called Goodwill, in Tbilisi. I did not like the twist off metal caps of the Goodwill Saperavi Schuchmann wines either, when I bought a few bottles in the Vake district of the capital over the last year.

I have tasted many bottles from the Kindzmarauli Winery, the Chateau Mere, and now here also at Schuchmann. Furthermore, I spent five hours at the 2012 Wine Expo in Tbilisi several weeks ago. I find the Agro name wines [Agro National Centre for Grapevine & Fruit Tree Planting Material Propagation] by far the best, in all Georgia [I have never seen another Agro wine EXCEPT at the Wine Expo 2012]. Secondly, I cherish the Kinzmaruli brand wines.

After that it is a greyhound track race here, and I hope Schuchmann finishes in a very good position. I think they will do quite well [but please use some corks or white plastic fake corks, and not beer quarts/liters thin cheap screw off metal tops !!!]

The tour of the production facilities was interesting, except for one thing. There is a very dramatic and visually compelling display of champagne bottles being rotated on racks, next to many old yellow painted iron champagne production tanks, at the end of the tour. However, on tapping one of the five or so yellow heavy metal tanks with my ring, it emitted a very hollow sound. I asked why it was empty, and was told all the tanks were empty, it was for show and display.

When I asked to see the “real” champagne production tanks, there was no reply. Perhaps it was due to the cold rainy day inhibiting long slow conversations, or perhaps the tour guide did not truly understand my question.

I must include that the rooms here are more comfortable and pleasant than almost any venue or hotel in the country. That includes the two Marriotts in Tbilisi, and the Chateau Mere nearby.

One suggestion. Since there was no staff around just after 10pm, and all lights were off in the lobby and dining area, I could not find a bottle of wine nor even salted peanuts, to celebrate my birthday at midnight with my significant other. The Schuchmann Chateau is not really near anything, just dark vineyards and a nearby sleepy little village, so I had to make due with bottled water and a handful of M&Ms that came with the room, to celebrate my birthday in our lovely warm room at the stroke of midnight. Maybe they could keep one old man on duty to fetch one of the many bottles of wine from the fridge, and provide a little bread and cheese, for guests that do not punctually fall asleep at 10pm. Or get a vending machine for the lobby.

Room Tip: Spend a little more for the larger suites.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bryan-quiller-hire
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This quite new hotel and winery lies in a small village around 10 km outside of Telavi, which is a 2 hour drive from Tbilisi through picturesque hill country. Rooms are modern and comfortable, with wifi (a little spotty in some rooms). The buildings have been constructed with traditional architecture in mind and careful attention to detail. The on site restaurant has Europeanized Georgian food--well prepared and moderately priced. Good wine, including a number of varieties that are very reasonably priced. Room price includes ample breakfast, winery tour and tasting. Terrace and some rooms have a sweeping view of the Caucasus Mtns.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building have views of the Caucasus
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeirutMoores
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent one night in Schuchmann chateau while discovering kakheti region. the hotel is beautiful, situated in a very calm area of Telavi. The breakfast is served on the terrace above the vineyard. Food was amazing, with succulent flavors from different cuisines. We were told that the chef is Austrian...Fantastic result! The rooms are very large and clean, hotel staff are professional, and the wine tour was quite informative ending with delicious wine tasting. All in all, our stay at Schuchmann was unforgettable, and we would love to come back!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Our stay at this winery could not have been better. The winery has a lovely location in a village not far from Telavi and a close drive to Sighnaghi. The rooms are very comfortable and clean and the hotel provides free drinks. The hotel manager, Ilia, was very friendly, as were the other staff. What particularly stood out, however, was the food, which is very reasonably priced. The soups were out of this world. This was by far the best food that we ate while in Georgia. The wine, of course, was very good as well. All in all, it was a lovely experience. My only complaint is that we did not stay here longer. I definitely recommend this place and I hope I will come back here one day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

A delight! The rooms are comfortable, spotlessly clean and have great views over the valley. The hotel manager, Ilia, is friendly, helpful and very knowledgable and the staff very friendly. The chef is great, food is delicious and very correctly priced. A tour of the winery and tasting afterwards very nice. We just didn't want to leave that porch, the glass of wine and the wonderful view... We were travelling by bicycle and our bikes were stored securly in the wine storage... (If we really had to mention a downside that would be the bumpy road up to the estate.)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telavi
Lopota Lake Resort & Spa
8 mi away
Savaneti Hotel
Savaneti Hotel
#7 of 56 in Telavi

Been to Schuchmann Wines Chateau & SPA? Share your experiences!