Casa Maria Hotel
Brown's Getaway(Port Maria)
$128
Priceline
Tamarind Great House(Oracabessa)(Great Value!)
$95
  • Pool
GoldenEye(Oracabessa)(Great Value!)
$425
$66
Kaz Kreol Beach Lodge(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
$103
$75
$68
Shambala Jamaica(Port Maria)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsreal jamaicacultural experienceocho riosceiling fanchicken curryjames bond
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed here with my family & friend (all aged between 19 - 46) for 14 nights from Nov - Dec 2011.
We had never been to Jamaica before and we initially came there (from London) to visit family in other areas of Jamaica and wanted somewhere to sleep where there would not be public noise interfering with our sleep at night (unlike the 'hip strip' of MoBay, etc.). All you could hear was the calming waves of the ocean.

Even though there are about 30 rooms (we used 3 of them) it felt as if we had the place to ourselves most of the time!!

There were not many recent reviews for this hotel and I kept checking for a new one everyday before I came to this place for a bit of extra reassurance that it was a good choice!! But it turned out to be a good one.

However, the female reception staff could have been a bit friendly...But the bar staff were friendly. Ricardo especially always went out of his way to be helpful. The cleaners were exceptionally friendly & helpful :-) They came in every morning and worked according to your preference.

It felt like a safe place in a safe area, which was important for us staying with an Autistic person.

Their (flat & wall-mounted) TV's are good and have a nice (but not exhaustive) selection of movies, American & Jamaican cable channels to watch.

The bar is good (open until 10pm) but [I agree with evelyn f] it would be better if they provided some real entertainment there, like a themed night, or at least do a 'Bob Marley night' with the music they can play from their good soundsystem that they have (but rarely play) in the dining area in the evening, instead of having to travel out to find entertainment, or instead of staying in your room & watch TV.

The breakfast of toast, eggs, bacon, tomatoes & beverages (which can be brought up to your room for an extra charge of $200JMD!) was very tasty & filling. But if it has not been included as part of your package and you do not want that, then make sure that you inform the staff before your 1st morning!!

Their rice&peas dinner was OK (not the best), but their pizza was delicious - it tasted so fresh & yummy & it is generously-sized!!

Sometimes (like once a week), they have 1 or 2 local craft-makers who sell their pieces at a table near the hotel lobby, which is ideal for those who want to buy them without the hassle of going to the markets!!

Beautiful views of the ocean & greenery from every balcony!!
There was a constant fresh breeze coming from the ocean, so no matter how hot it got outside, it was always cool inside!!

NB: The centre of the hotel is open-plan, so if you are sensitive to mosquito bites (like myself) then ensure you apply sufficient insect repellent (e.g. LifeSystems DEET 50%+ spray) particularly in the evenings, and if you want to relax in the comfy lounge area downstairs.

There were a few ants that came from the outside balcony (they are a lot tinier than UK ants)!! But we bought some odour-less RAID insect spray from a local shop, and as soon we used it on them & their usual (strangely neat) trails, they never came back for the rest of the holiday [the spray can said it is effective for up to 4 weeks]!!

The doors & windows were great - they were adjustable with layers of folding slats/blinds that could be closed to shut out any rain.

The shower/baths were good (but you cannot move the shower itself) and there was always hot water for everyone at any time of the day. One day one of our bath taps burst, but an in-house repair man came to fix that immediately.

The beds were comfy, and the 2 single beds could be put together to make on massive bed!!
Bedding was lovely & changed daily & they matched the curtains!!

The pool is clean, a good size and gradually goes up to 6ft deep at the deep end. But beware of the 'wasps' that may fly out from the plants beside the poolside occasionally.

It is a nice place to stay and/or get married at (especially as they do-up the dining area really nicely when they have a special event - see their website, for example).

Please note: this hotel does not have lifts or escalators, so if you are not prepared to go up 2 flights of tiled stairs to get to & from your hotel room, then please bear this in mind.

It would really help if there was a FRIDGE and/or a MICROWAVE inside the room!!

All, in all this is a peaceful, laid-back, clean hotel with a nice pool.

Almost every angle of this hotel provides a beautiful setting for a lovely photograph!! My 10 photos that I have uploaded on here do not do the whole building justice!!

Recommended for mature families, couples, solo travellers, business people, groups, or friends.

Room Tip: If you don't mind taking the stairs, ask for any room on the top floor (25 - 29) as they have the nicest views & lovely breeze. You can contact the hotel to confirm the bed arrangements (e.g. whether they have 3x single beds in a room, or 1x kingsized bed, or 2x single beds (= '2 twin beds'). Also check whether the room has a fan as A/C, or electric A/C.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank l8diva
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed there in January, 2011. I had a wonderful time, the staff very nice, they made my stay extremely nice. However, the only suggestion, there should be more activites on the premises, mabye Reggae night, Jerk chicken night, etc. This would give folks a chanc to have a noght life withput leaving the hotel.

Claire

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank evelyn f
Reviewed February 28, 2011

This hotel is authentic.It is not high end or fancy by American standards, but it is clean and full of culture and history! The staff is fun, caring, and ready to help you enjoy your time there. The food is truly Jamaican and the staff and friends of the hotel have loads of information and activities to share with you! This hotel is nestled 'in the hills' and the sights and sounds of the people are all around. The ocean view and the sound of the ocean and the chirps of insects and tree frogs lull you to sleep at night! Truly a great experience!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank psadams52
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Had a family gathering in Port Maria, and stayed at Casa Maria Hotel for 1 night. They mixed up my reservation - had me checking in a day later. So the unfriendly receptionist offers to show me the rooms that they have available. That was the first sign that something was wrong. The room was really a large closet. There was a small hole in the door, as if someone had tried to kick it in. They must have assembled the uncomfortable bed inside the room. The bathroom was old and tired. What really got me upset was that it was MORE expensive than the much much nicer renovated rooms that they show you on their website! The reason? Because it has a portable air conditioning unit inside (which we didn't need at all because it was already very cool). None of the newer rooms were available so we had to make do.

Otherwise, not a bad place to stay at all.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gaving
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I recently travelled across Jamaica, staying in hotels at about the price range of Casa Maria throughout my trip. This was actually one of the more expensive hotels we stayed at by a little bit, and was by far the poorest.

The good: The hotel is actually very cute-looking from the outside, very clean as far as I saw. There is cable television, no air conditioning but a nice breeze since it is on the ocean. I can't comment much on the beach, we didn't stay long, but it is on a beautiful strecth of road, albeit a little isolated. Also, fantastic little bar just across the street to the left - the owners were lovely!

Not so good: The room we stayed in looked like a dorm room - four beds and no decor. The television was blurry - we could deal with that. The faucet broke off the first time we went to turn on the water. Then there was no hot water in the shower in the morning. When I told reception on our way out, she essentially shrugged and stared at me

We were only there for one night so we didn't eat at the resto, but it was pretty empty at 9 pm apart from one group. No one was at the bar. If you do stay there, cross the street to have dinner on the beach!

So the room, overall, was ok but below average. The service, I found pretty poor. For the price (I paid $90/night) I felt thatr we should have had a nicer hotel and better service.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends