“Loved it, learned so much! Simply Beautiful.”

Sissinghurst Castle Garden
More attraction details
Owner description: Owned and maintained by the National Trust, this famous 20th-century garden is actually a series of ten smaller "garden rooms," each uniquely different from the others.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Using our trusty National Trust membership card we felt priviledged to be "allowed" to roam free in one of the most special places I have visited in Kent. I even got right to the stop of the Tower, steep, slanted, wooden steps, spectacular views from the top, so far as the mote and beyond. The tower was full of informative writings on the walls where the prisoners of war were kept, the gardens were so pretty with bee hives, an orchard, even Autumn crocus (never knew they existed) underneath the apple trees. Vegetables and fruit grown there supply the tea house and restaurant. Enjoyed the cream tea, only disappointment was the prices in there and the offishness of the young people working there. Also, don't sit at the table downstairs near the window as the pong from the toilets spoiled the taste of the scones!! But all in all, a lovely visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,176)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Having read a biography of Vita-Sackville West last year I was keen to visit this home & garden that she created. This is a National Trust property & is operated to the usual high standards of the Trust. The day we visited we had the added treat of a farmer's market with entertaining vendors for items such as nuts & handmade specialty ice cream. The gardens are spectacular in design, artfully informal. Vita used the extensive ruins to make a quintessential English garden, calling to mind the principles of earlier grand house garden designs. The library in the house is a nice example of the literary & artistic taste of the day. There is a nice restaurant with reasonable food served with lovely presentation in the old granary, complete with beamed ceiling & other nice touches.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Dreamy gardens. Inspirational stuff. Great for ideas for small gardens and large alike. Good country views. All very interesting.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Went to Sissinghurst on Tuesday afternoon. The gardens look lovely even this time of year. The lawns are exceptionally lovely with immaculate stripes. It's obvious someone has taken great care to get the stripes so accurate. Not so in the tea room. We both had cream tea at 2.30pm. I couldn't eat them as thought they tasted stale. When I asked one of the serving staff if they had been cooked that morning, she said they could have been frozen and defrosted, but are cooked on the premises. When my husband approached another member of staff as he felt the same she said they are cooked every morning. If this is the case they have a major problem with their recipe. I left all my scone and my husband could not continue with his. Other NT houses/gardens can get it right particularly, Chartwell, Batemans, Emmetts and Bodiam. Perhaps they should get lessons from them. My advice is avoid scones until reassurance they are cooked fresh that day.

1  Thank angie60Kent
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is one of the best gardens in the country if not the best. It's one which will be truly appreciated by people who are gardeners and plants people. It is however extremely popular requiring ticketed entry at all times.

I've visited several times over the years in different seasons and while it undoubtedly looks best in summer it also can be very charming in different ways in early Spring and Autumn.

What I like best about Sissinghurst is that the gardens are all so different - there's tremendous variety and the planting schemes are always interesting.

TIP: Check out the website to find out what's looking good before you go.

I've read a few other reviews. It seems to me that some of the people who are disappointed by the gardens are not gardeners and don't know much about gardening. Planting changes throughout the year and if you choose to visit when the annuals are being cleared out don't be surprised if some beds look bare! This garden is not a museum and what's on display does not stay the same all year round.

Also I think some visitors need to make sure they make good use of the guide. I couldn't understand the comment that there were only three gardens!!! I can count nine garden rooms and the orchard!