“Nice place in its day”

O'Callaghan's Delicatessen & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Mitchelstown
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: O'Callaghan's Deli, Café and Bakery is a family run business established in 1988 by Pat and Mary O'Callaghan. O'Callaghan's has gained a reputation for providing fresh homemade food using locally sourced produce prepared with tender loving care, reflecting our motto: 'If your mother wouldn't pay for it, don't expect the customer to!' Located On Lower Cork St, Mitchelstown, O'Callaghan's Café serves food all day with extensive Breakfast and Lunch Menus. O'Callaghan's is the perfect place to break a journey, whether you have time to eat in or prefer to eat on the go, O'Callaghan's can offer everything you need!
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have visited this restaraunt a lot of times over the years and never had a bad thing to say about it. Staff always super friendly and professional. All cakes and pastries were always to die for. On my last visit to the premises I ordered my breakfast as usual and had coffee. The coffee was delish but I will have to say the full breakfast wasn't up to par. On my way back from Cork to Dublin the same day I stopped for an evening meal. I had a steak sandwich to which again I was disappointed. I have no problem paying more than in a hotel or pub but I always expect for what I pay for. Standards HAVE DEFINATELY DROPPED and there's no point denying it. Always a happy customer in the past and will not be returning until I hear things have improved. It's a shame really.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

O Callaghan's Delicatessen, Bakery and cafe is "my local" I have just read all 20+ reviews and all nearly all ( except one ) would agree with my review, The food is excellent and cappuccino coffee is not only excellent but comes in a fine big cup. The service is excellent and staff very friendly. I can not imagine many towns in Ireland where you can get delicious food all home made . There crispy Duck in orange sauce is beyond fabulous in flavour and beautifully presented. Also the Salmon and Potato cakes yum yum. The service is very good, staff friendly and efficient, yes you are paying a bit more than you would in some "cafe" but the quality by far makes up for it. I have been fortunate to have been taken to two of their tasting evenings and have to say If I was able to award food industry stars they would get 5 for those evenings. if I could give the place six stars I would. everything is made on premisses. what more could you ask for. Congratulations on your 25 years in business ( of which I have been coming to you for 23 of those) and hope to continue for many many more .

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Cheap coffee badly burnt and that was the Americano. this place was goid but they seem to be using poor quality priducts yet the prices remain the same.Had a crab salad, found grass in the salad complete with seed heads on it. left it on the plate and not one of the staff noticed it. Standard of food has really dropped here.

1  Thank Youngy61
ocallaghank, Owner at O'Callaghan's Delicatessen & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear youngy61,

As a restaurant serving the public 6 days a week for the past 25 years, we have no problem in accepting criticism from our customers. However, when I read your review I felt I had to reply.

We take enormous care of all lettuces used in our kitchen. When it is delivered it is checked for quality and freshness. It is then washed carefully by a senior member of staff and is prepared with care. It is then once again checked by whoever dresses the lettuce. I am absolutely certain that there was no grass present in your salad. However, we do add rocket to our selection of salad leaves and maybe you miss-took rocket as grass!

With regard to our coffee, we use Java Coffee. It is ground to order in the machine. We did not have any complaints about burnt coffee on the day of your visit. We have only ever been complimented on our coffee.

It is a shame that you didn't bring your complaints to our attention at the time!

I don't accept your statement that our standards have dropped. Our restaurant continues to be extremely busy at lunch times and throughout the day. Our customers are mostly local but we also have a regular passing trade. They certainly would not be dining so frequently with us if our standards had dropped. We use the finest quality produce, locally sourced where possible and I have a highly qualified and passionate team of chefs. I always say to my staff; 'If your mother wouldn't pay for it, why would you expect a customer to pay for it?'

If you do happen to call again, I would love to meet you.

Regards,
Mary O'Callaghan
O'Callaghan's Delicatessen, Cafe and Bakery

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Always stop in when I'm in Mitchelstown or travelling through. Food is great value and quality, servers are friendly, warm atmosphere inside too. Loved the mince pies at Christmas, but the praline coffee cake is a favourite!

1  Thank obrienm
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Good homemade tasty traditional meals; meat and veg. Traditional food cooked well, not what you would expect in a small country town. Fish is normally a good choice here and always cooked beautifully. Salads are nice but don't kid yourself into thinking they are low fat option, warm chicken and bacon is tasty but laced in an oily dressing. An unusual special appears every now & again while usually appear interesting are not always executed so well; for example, beef cheek which was laced with salt and also parma ham salad with poached egg. Cremated streaky rasher does not equal parma ham.
Don't drink the water which is available buy a bottle!!! If you want a quiet chat or meal don't go on a Thursday this place is mayhem on market day and busy every lunch time. While the girls there are very nice, service can be slow so you need to have plenty of time.
The decor is fine but tables and chairs could do with some work and it can be very cold on a windy day beside single glazed windows. The bathrooms need a good cleaning; I'm not even getting into it.....

1  Thank Blasta_Bakes