“Another week in St Jory and several visits to this wonderful place - if only we were there full time!”

Auberge Saint Georges
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have just returned from another week at this wonderful village. What really makes this place even more special is the auberge and Tony and Trudy. The food is delightful and the welcome and service always friendly. My husband is a veggie and I don't eat cheese and Tony caters for us both on every visit. We find ourselves making several visits in the week as the food is just such good value and so varied and tasty. This week I had the best soup I have ever tasted (carrot and coriander) and a wonderful raspberry cheesecake which was so good I asked for it again the following day! I still don't understand why it isn't packed out everyday, people who don't go are really missing out. Trudy is a great front of house and there are always some funny moments to laugh about. Really looking forward to our next visit at the end of July. Thank you Tony and Trudy.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We have just returned from another two week stay in St Jory and once again ate out quite a few times at the auberge. Tony's food is amazing; he turns simple ingredients into stunningly good dishes. We still don't know how he manages to do all of the cooking on his own; it is no mean feet on some days. Trudy provides a friendly and efficient service always with a smile on her face. We really don't know what we would do without this restaurant in the village; it makes such a difference.

Lunch is such good value - in England you would pay more for a main course than you pay for 3 courses, bread, wine/coffee here. My favourite dishes on this visit were some amazing lamb samosas as a starter, pollock dish for main and the puddings, well, it is difficult to choose one but I would say the lemon meringue cup- I could easily eat a couple of these - they were just so good!

Dinner is also superb - we visited on two evenings- one for a special Italian night and the other the normal set menu. Both were lovely evenings out and the food was delicious, the atmosphere buzzing and the service excellent. On our second evening there was a party of 20 French and they were celebrating a birthday. We ended up having 3 glasses of champagne each with the guy whose birthday it was and who just kept pouring us more drink and chatting away! A fantastic evening was had by all.

Tony and Trudy have built up a fantastic business here and I would have no hesitation in recommending anyone to visit. As others have noted they will cater for different dietary needs. My husband is vegetarian and on each visit Tony prepares him a different dish- this definitely beats the omelettes and goats cheese salad he gets in all other French restaurants! I don't eat cheese and Tony thinks of this as well! Again how he manages all of this is beyond us.

We are back in England now but looking forward to our next visit in May when we get to experience this wonderful cooking and great service all over again. It really makes our holiday.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Auberge St. Georges in St. Jory de Chalais is our local restaurant, so we would do our bit to support it of course. However, with Tony's cooking it is difficult NOT to go and eat there or NOT to recommend it to one and all!
Tony's cooking is imaginative, always hits the palate. We have never had a "so-so" meal there; every time we have marveled at the subtlety of the flavours. I am a pudding freak and am earning the reputation of going back for seconds when it is dessert time! I have not yet dared to ask for thirds!! Absolute heaven!
Tony also produces excellent and well-thought out dishes for Vegetarians, Vegans, etc., as well as indulging my husband (he has diabetes but likes his puds) with sugar-free desserts. And he makes the most heavenly mince pies EVER - to order (we took them back to the UK!!)
Trudy's cheerful and smiling service is another plus factor.
Altogether a winning combination and a place to return to again and again.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The food just keeps getting better and better.

We have just spent 9 nights in St Jory and I am ashamed to say that we ate at this lovely restaurant on all but 2 days!

In the evening the menu is 20 euros and for that you get 4 choices for each of the 3 courses. The absolute highlight for me was the main course of duck with figs and raisins - absolutely delicious.

At midday the menu is 13 euros for 3 courses plus wine or coffee. Everyday there is something different and everything tastes fantastic. Tony is so skilled at turning anything into fantastic flavoursome food. Some examples were chicken in sage sauce, fish pie, leek and mushroom pancake, mushrooms in batter.

The service, provided by Trudy is excellent. It is friendly, fast and efficient. You can either have a quick meal or stay for a long leisurely meal.

I hope that more people support them as they are working so hard and the restaurant is really the best.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just returned from our fourth visit to this excellent 'though little-known place and its 13 euro lunchtime menu, with a choice of two starters, two mains and two desserts. The price includes a carafe of wine. The menu changes daily. As there's only one person in the kitchen, who does everything, this is truly impressive. But Chef Tony is master of his kitchen, appears to love his job and always seems relaxed and happy to talk.
"The secret's in the prep,' he explains.
Our lunch was, as always, completely enjoyable with consistent quality and imagination behind the relatively inexpensive ingredients: the starter today was a prawn, shrimp and pasta salad, yes, pasta, and was absolutely delightful, light, fresh and zingy - to the point where I was eating slowly not just to savour Chef's balance of texture and taste but because I wanted to lengthen the experience. I surprised myself by this as by nature, I'm a bolter - usually it's on the plate one second, gulped frantically the next.
St Jory de Chalais isn't an easy ville to get to but it's worth the effort. I was getting a bit cynical about eating out - to the extent that I really couldn't be faffed (plus I'm modestly competent in the kitchen) - but Tony the Professional Chef at the Auberge St George has re-kindled my enthusiasm for eating out. For the first time in years, when I'm driving to this place I'm enthusiastic about what we'll find on the menu.
So, lunch out with kirs, wine and three courses for two: under 35 euros.
First time we ate here, we had a starter of tian of tuna and summer vegetable which was a delight: we've acquired some cook's rings (that doesn't sound too good) and I'm going to try to recreate Tony's gorgeous looking and tasting dish.
Oh, I've forgotten to mention the desserts: Chef started his work in France, about 20 years ago, in the patisserie section of a commercial kitchen and he knows his pastries and his sweet fillings. I don't have a sweet tooth so always get a plate of cheese, but Lady Denimes said, 'you've got to try this', hoiking over a spoonful of heaven. After tasting it I said, 'swop it for some cheese'. The stony-hearted lady refused. My lawyers are on the case.
Today, one of the mains was 'Duo of fish with rice and a cream leek sauce'. Lady Denimes, no great fan of fish, absolutely loved it and would eagerly choose it again. She unbent enough to give me a taster of the pan-fried mackerel and salmon with the sauce - it was superb.
We weren't the only ones impressed as there where whispers and little cries of delight from the rest of the diners, mainly French. Each table went quiet when they tasted their desserts. It was rather nice to experience this.
We visited on a rainy late October Tuesday and the main dining room was two-thirds full - think we were the only Brits. Tony and Trudy are doing something very, very good here. Our fifth visit won't be far away - think I can engineer some excuse to eat out again. We're sort of kicking ourselves because just before we visited this place first time, some guests took us out to an expensive Brantome restaurant to thank us for hosting them. Wish we'd known about Auberge St George - we'd have had a much better time and an infinitely better meal and our friends would have paid about half what they did.