“Awesome team to dive with”

Blue Marlin Dive Lombok
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star Dive CentreBlue Marlin Dive Senggigi is one of the few PADI affiliated dive centres based here. We have taken the unique position for a Senggigi based Dive company as we do not combine our mainland guests with our sister dive companies based on the Gilis. We hope this provides a more personal service for you. This also ensures the most time efficient day tour based from Senggigi. We are proud to offer;Daily Dive trips with an experienced PADI DiveMaster / Instructor Daily Guided Snorkel toursGili Trawangan transfers PADI Dive Courses Hotel 'Dive and Stay' packages with our partner hotels.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I recently stayed at Holiday Resort, Lombok and took the opportunity to dive with the Blue Marlin Dive Sengiggi team who have an office at the resort. I managed to squeeze in 5 days diving with them - all around the Gili Islands. I was very spoilt in that they just have Sengiggi guests on their boat, so it was small groups each day. As I was already certified, doing dives for fun not training I was very spoilt in that three of the days I was lucky enough to have a guide to myself, and the other two days I only had to share the guide with 1-2 other experienced divers.
As my brother was travelling with me, and was contemplating doing a Discover Scuba if his previously strained ankle came right, I was watching carefully each day how the team handled themselves (I didnt want to encourage my bro to do his first dive with them if I didnt have confidence in the team as my own 'Discover Scuba' experience with another crew was awful and had it not been for an awesome first experience a year earlier I would never have continued to become certified). I have seen them with the open water students and discover scuba guests and was very impressed with the attentiveness of Stuart and Paul in their interactions with these new divers. Dive sites were carefully explained, the days plan outlined to everyone. It was also the first time I have been on a trip catering for divers and snorkellers, but it was managed very well, and the snorkellers had their own guide and options were clearly given for when the boat had to collect divers. I also spoke to each of the OW students, discover scuba and snorkelling guests at the end of the day about their experience, and they all raved about how safe they felt and how much they enjoyed the experience. Unfortunately, the bro's ankle didnt get strong enough so he didnt do the DSD, but he was keen to do it with this team, having seen them in action himself doing briefings etc on the ride over to Gili Trawangan.
In the 10 dives, there were only two sites I went to twice, but with different currents, they were different dive experiences anyway. I was a little disappointed in the lack of colour of the corals after viewing photos online on various websites, but the marine life more than made up for it. I particularly enjoyed seeing my first school of feeding humphead parrotfish, loads of turtles and a couple of sharks. I also really enjoyed the dive out the front of the beach where the various dive operators have created structures to grow corals on - can see it will be amazing and is already teeming with life and corals taking off.
My many thanks to Stuart, Paul and Dave for making every trip an awesome experience with their friendliness and professionalism. Thanks also to the boat men who assisted us in and out of the water, making the whole experience hassle free and easy.
If there was one slight negative it was the lunch break - and this is a BMD Gili Trawangan issue really. While each day it was made clear to us by Stuart we were under no obligation at all to eat at the BMD restaurant I chose to do so. The food was awesome and well priced, but the service was slow. We were on a 1-1.5hr lunch break and a couple of times it was a good 15-20 mins before someone took our order (I eventually worked out we are better to just order at the bar on arrival) and the food didnt come out fast. While we had always finished (sometimes just) in time for the boat leaving for the afternoon dive (and I know they would have waited anyway), I would prefer to have had lunch and time for it to settle before going on another dive. Perhaps Stuart, the Gili T waiter team could be made specifically aware of our arrival if we have chosen to eat there, so that our orders are underway promptly? It really was the only thing that bugged me in the 5 days.
Overall, an awesome team I will recommend to anyone coming your way.

Stuart P, Owner at Blue Marlin Dive Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thanks ever so much for your time and kind comments.
I am so very happy to hear you enjoyed Lombok and your time with us here at Blue Marlin Dive based in Senggigi.

We would be delighted to host you diving with us again - and hopefully get your brother to experience the underwater world sometime in the future.

Thanks very much again. Please know how much I appreciate your posting.
I have already shown this to the dive team - and there were Big smiles all round. (Dave even gave himself a round of applause !)

S R Pike

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I spent 2 weeks at the Holiday Resort and did my PADI course with Stuart, the owner of Blue Marlin Dive. He was really very professional, funny and did everything in order to make this exam fun and easy. The equipment is top notch, rates reasonable and the staff friendly. In addition, groups were small (2-4 persons per dive), what better condition for diving can you ask for?? My children also went on two introduction dives and Stuart and his team always kept an eye on them, so we all had a great time in the big blue, feeling save at all time. I don't know who on earth writes these bad reviews, must be some other dive shop?? Anyway, I highly recommend and would like to thank Stuart and his team for the great time we had these last two weeks!

Stuart P, Owner at Blue Marlin Dive Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments and the review of us here at Blue Marlin Dive Senggigi.
It is greatly appreciated from our side and those comments have really made my day. Thank you.
I will be sure to pass on that to the rest of the team.
I thoroughly enjoyed the course too - and I am delighted we were (in some small way) able to add to your holiday experience here in Lombok !
Please know, you are all most welcome here anytime in the future.
Thanks again !
Warmest wishes

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Travelling as a group Blue Marlin was an excellent operator, we completed a couple of adventure dives with them on the Gili's and were statisfied with their safety and dive planning.

We were well taken care off, picked up from our hotel in Senggigi and delivered back with minimum hassle.

We would use them again if we were staying in Senggigi to do more dive training.

Stuart P, Owner at Blue Marlin Dive Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your kind comments.
I am delighted to hear your enjoyed your holidays and your experience with us here at Blue Marlin Dive Senggigi.
We would be honoured to host you again in the future.
Thanks again

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Myself and my wife just spent 3 fantastic days diving on the Gili islands with Blue Marlin dive in Senggigi, Lombok.
Our divemasters Paul and Dave were so professional and friendly and made us feel so safe and secure underwater. We hadn't dived for sometime, and were a bit nervous to begin. But the guys were very patient with us and went very slowly until we relaxed and started to get our confidence again.They found everything from turtles, lionfish, moray eels, sharks and
countless other marine life.
We would highly recommend Blue Marlin, Stuart and his wonderful team and we cannot wait
to return at the end of the year for our next diving adventure.

1  Thank Mark O
Stuart P, Owner at Blue Marlin Dive Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Blue Marlin Dive based in Senggigi.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here in Lombok and the dives with us.
I will pass on your kind comments to the team.
We are looking forward to seeing you again for your return trip.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I almost never bother to write reviews, but in this case I feel compelled to warn others so that they can make informed, safe decisions. I found the operators of Blue Marlin Dive Senggigi to be dangerous and unprofessional. There are many operators around Lombok, so my suggestion is to find a different, safer operator.

If you are considering this operator, I have taken the time to detail, as best to my ability as possible, why I warn that this operator is dangerous and unprofessional, so please read on.

* one of the divers in our group was forced to use a dive buddy's spare regulator, after her regulator failed at depth. the diver initially alerted the operator that her regulator was not functioning properly when they were still shallow, but the operator made the dangerous decision to continue the dive and continue deeper anyways. the problem then got worse and finally the regulator did not work at all and she was forced to scramble for a spare regulator while they were already at considerable depth. even after that, the operator decided to continue the dive -- he should have immediately ended the dive and began the procedures for ascending to the surface, but he did not. that's another poor decision and not in line with any professional standards.

* on another dive, a different diver in our group was left behind by the operator and was forced to surface alone. the excuse given by the operator was that our diver did not descend quickly enough. i found that excuse to be completely unprofessional. there was no mention of an expedited descent during the pre-dive briefing, so no reason to expect to have to do one. poor briefing. more importantly, it is the basic job of the operator to keep track of all divers in the group, and the operator failed to do so. he left her on her own, and never looked back. lastly, the operators did not ever assess the skill levels of our divers (no questions of how many dives we’ve done) and then they selected a dive way above the skill levels of some of our divers – that location had a strong current (which is the reason the operator later gave for the quick descent). no briefing about quick descent, no assessment of divers skill levels, poor selection of dive location, quick descent without paying attention to whether all divers in the group still with the group... and the result is one of our divers being left behind, unable to find the other divers and having to surface alone. that is dangerous.

* third problem, all on the same day: we had a group of snorkelers as part of our group. when the divers were diving, the operator took our snorkelers to a site to snorkel. when it was time for our divers to be picked up by the operator’s boat, the boat crew brought some of the snorkelers on board, but then left the remaining snorkelers in the open water and left them without telling those snorkelers where the boat would be going and when the boat would be returning. the proper decision would have been to inform the snorkelers and ask them to return to the boat, so no snorkelers would be left out in the water unattended. Instead, part of the snorkelers were left by themselves in the open water to wonder why the boat had left and when the boat would be back. the worst part: because some of the snorkelers had joined the boat and the boat had not informed the snorkelers in the water of that fact, those snorkelers in the water started to become distressed when they realized that a few of their friends were no longer with the group in the water and that they did not know if those snorkelers had been separated from the group and in trouble somewhere. That means: twice in one day, the operators willfully left behind guests in the open water and put them in situations where they were worried for their safety or the safety of others. that is unprofessional.

I hope you will avoid this operator. Select another one. We had a big group and all of us swore we would never willfully put ourselves in such positions again. I suspect the manager of the dive operator may respond to this posting and he can give his input. When we discussed these issues with him after returning from our dives, he listened and assured us this was unusual and that he would deal with these issues internally with his divemasters. That is well and good, but this was not just one slip up. I hope my posting makes clear that these events were the results of multiple poor, unprofessional and dangerous decisions made over and over by the operators throughout one day. It is indicative of a lack of safety discipline, safety training or safety culture or all of the above. Perhaps they will retrain or change their staff in order to improve their standards, but they start at such a low level that it will take a lot of time and effort to do so. In the meantime, avoid them. These events really did happen and these things really took place.

Stuart P, Owner at Blue Marlin Dive Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

I appreciated your time at the end of your tour day to meet you and the group and hear your comments and concerns.
This was valuable information for the staff meeting the next day to address all your points raised. We do take safety seriously,
So thanks for that.

This now gives me the opportunity to apologise once again to you all for a bad experience.

The Regulator: I was informed by the equipment service technician the next day, the reg in question did not appear to be broken.
The filter on the first stage needed cleaning.
Hence, the Air needle was moving (fluttering) with each breath.
I am only disappointed, this was not picked up 'pre dive' as there are spare regulators on the boat, and we could have avoided that horrible situation.
This is in no way an excuse, I am not proud this happened in the first place.
We do try to prempt these problems and service the regulators throughout the year.

The Snorkel Group: at no time were the guests left alone or unattended. Their Snorkel guide was with them in water the whole time.
The guests could have been wearing lifejackets we provide - if they chose to wear them.

As I may have explained before the program should have been;
At the Dive Site:
The Divers enter the water first with their guide
The Snorkel guests enter the water next with their guide
The Boat stays in the same general area as the Snorkel guests in case anyone has enjoyed the reef enough or gets tired.
As the Divers surface, the Snorkel guide should give the options for any Snorkellers still in the water to either, board the boat and pick up the divers, or continue the experience for 5 - 15 minutes longer while the boat picks up the divers and returns for them.

The reason for the two options is to try to ensure the Snorkel guests enjoy the best time and have a valuable experience.

I do not feel this in any way compromises safety as the guide is with them, the divers are on the same reef minutes away, and in visual contact.

As far as I am aware though, the guide did not convey the information nearly well enough that some had already joined the boat and the boat would return for them.
So please accept my apologies for the lack of communication.

The Boat would never leave the site without a head count to ensure all the guests are safely on board.

Thanks in part to your feedback, and as a result of the team meeting, we have now introduced printed Guidelines / protocols and more specifics for the Divers and Snorkel guests to read. Our hope is this will reduce any confusion.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the whole team