“Local flavour”

The Office Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 73 Restaurants in Senggigi
Cuisines: Bar, Asian, Indonesian, International
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Fantastic beach-front location on the bay at Senggigi, overlooking the local fishing boats. Views of south-west Lombok, Nusa Penida and Bali. Friendly staff and splendid sunsets. Multi-channel TV and free pool table and WiFi.
Doha, Qatar
“Local flavour”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

In response to some of the negative reviews: if you only want Western food (burgers and fries) then why come to Indonesia?
I've have pretty authentic Thai and Indonesian food in the office and it's been up to the mark.
One bottled beer was so cold it had ice inside so no complaints on temperature.
Service was prompt enough that I rarely finished one drink before another arrived at the table.
Yes, there are hawkers outside, but they are nothing to do with the restaurant. You might as well use the colour of the sea as a reason for negativity. The hawkers respond to a polite refusal and move on. The sea however will always be blue and a few meters from the door.

If I have any complaint, and it's no fault of the office, it's the bridge to Santosa has broken slats and no lights. If heading to/from that direction take a torch!

• Visited August 2013
LombokRetiree, Owner at The Office Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a positive comment about The Office. It is very frustrating to see all the negativity that some tourists seem to have. We have thousands of customers every year and we've only ever had 13 reviews of which 6 have been 'poor'. That doesn't stack up! We'd have been out of business years ago if the general customer consensus was 'poor'. No bar/restaurant is perfect and I will always accept constructive criticism. Sometimes, the barman doesn't stack the fridge at night time and sometimes, especially during Ramadan, the fasting staff may not be as attentive as they should be - but that's the same in any restaurant. If a customer has a genuine complaint, it should be rectified.

I would emphasise that we have a good relationship with the fishermen and the beach vendors and every year for the last nine years we have given 2 tonnes of rice for Id Al Firtri to the local poor (this year on August 2) - none of the other local restaurants give 'ikat'. We employ 20 staff, have clean toilets, cold beer and, in my opinion, high quality food.

So how do you fight TripAdvisor and negative comments? Unfortunately, under TripAdvisor 'rules', you can't delist and you can't stop the negativity.

But thanks again for your comments. I will pass them on to the hard-working staff!

• Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Whangarei, New Zealand
“ok food”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Normally like to drop in here for lunch but today service was slow, food good and unfortunately they let the hawkers come and go in the restaurant. Just want some piece to enjoy our lunch without hawkers bugging us at our table.

• Visited August 2013
LombokRetiree, Owner at The Office Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
The hawkers are a problem but they have to earn a living. It's symbiosis. The staff have difficulty controlling the hawkers as most of them come from the same village. If I am present, the hawkers abide by the agreed rules - they don't come into the restaurant unless they are invited by a customer and if a customer says 'no' they retire gracefully. For you to to say 'they let the hawkers come and go in the restaurant.' is totally incorrect.

My main objection to your comments is that your overall rating was 'poor'. That drags my rankings down in TripAdvisor (can I drop any lower??). For the record, I never asked to be on TripAdvisor, nor do I wish to be listed. TripAdvisor has total control and I can't be de-listed. Recent 'revelations' about fake reviews on TripAdvisor (eg Brighton, UK) confirm my distaste for the organisation. The restaurant has been open for 11 years. If the average customer thought we were 'poor' we would have been out of business years ago. We serve good food and cold beer. We can't manage the hawkers.
Oslo, Norway
“Fun place to eat with seaview”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was a placethat was recomended to us by our driver and it was actually nice spot to dine. Not too fancy, but food was affordable and good, as almost anything of food is in Indonesia as we have been lucky to discover. It was busy there and service was good. We enjoyed the sundown and had relaxing night. They do have pool table that was fun for some of us and a bar, that looked to be a gathering point of manytourists, but also locals. We can recommend to visit when wanting to see the sea and have some Ok food. Only minus are the passing by sellers, but we are getting used to refuse kindly.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you for your positive comments. We have been here for 11 years and 6 out of 11 'poor' reviews is, frankly, annoying. I don't , as many restaurants do, solicit positive comments but many customers compliment the staff when leaving the restaurant. I have no control over TripAdvisor and would prefer not to be listed but under 'their rules of free speach' I have no choice. So many travellers have nothing better to do than be negative so, once again, thank you. We always try hard to serve cold beer and excellent food. You were here in the final days of Ramadan - the fasting staff were doing their best!
South West England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,118 helpful votes
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Office bar and restaurant has a prime location on Senggigi beach. There are a number of bars and restaurants located one after the other on the beach. The bar was not full yet the service was slack and the beer not very cold. There are plenty of other places to choose from.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank AvidTraveler12
LombokRetiree, Owner at The Office Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear AvidTraveler12.
With over 300 reviews under your belt, you've obviously a very busy person and I appreciate the fact that you took time out of your schedule to write a review of The Office. It's a pity, however, that your negative comment 'Nothing Special' is the first comment that any one reads about the restaurant - not 'Friendly staff, lovely view' which was the previous comment.
We have a lot of local expats who frequent the bar and serving ice-cold beer is paramount. We seldom receive complaints. I apologise if you considered that your beer wasn't cold. However mistakes sometimes happen but why didn't you complain to the barman at the time? If you had complained, the barman would have apologised and your beer would have been replaced, you wouldn't have to write a comment and I wouldn't have to waste my time in replying..
Calgary, Canada
“Friendly staff, lovely view”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Senggigi Beach Sheraton, and went with some colleagues to "The Office", which is a few buildings down the beach from the Sheraton. The staff is very friendly, and the menu has all of the standard dishes, as well as some Thai dishes, compliments of the owner's partner who is Thai. I had a Thai curry, which was quite good. This is a simple place, with a beautiful view of the beach, overlooking traditional fishing boats. I popped in in mid afternoon the next day to escape the rain, again the staff was very friendly (and the beer was cold !) Definitely worth a visit when you want to get out of the 5 star hotel for some good basic food, a beer and a genuine atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013