“FAMILIES BEWARE!”

Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Senggigi
Reviewed November 4, 2009

We were married at this hotel in August 2002 and we couldnt have been happier with facilities or service. We planned to head back there in January with our two young children but after many months of calls and emails we have given up and are heading to Meridien Bali instead. Being a gold SPG member did not help in regards to trying to accomodate our kids at this hotel.
Not only did they refuse to let our 2 young children in a deluxe terrace room with us they could not even accomodate a guarantee of connecting rooms if we booked two rooms!
I would suggest if you are a family be very wary booking this hotel.
We did get some satisfaction from central bookings and was advised that they ouwl make an exception only to find out they would charge $40 USD per rollaway for the children each.

I have included the last email below:
After dealing with your hotel with three phone calls a number of emails and being told there was no way I could put my two young children in a deluxe terrace room we are going to renew our vows at the Meridian Bali, this was very disappointing because as I mentioned before we got married at your hotel!
As we booked the Meridien Bali last night with the kids in our room the Gold SPG customer service lady rung your hotel and she was advised that we could in fact have the two kids in a deluxe terrace room with us.
I am very disappointed that your hotel could not over the last 4 months do what the customer service girl did in 5 minutes.
As we have already booked and paid for the two families we are now going to the Meridien.
I am a travel agent and tour advisor and in all my time dealing with the Sheraton group I have never been more frustrated than dealing with your hotel.
Our wedding at your hotel was magnificent and the management could not do enough for us, in regards to coming back you made it so difficult we have gone elsewhere.
I will not be recommending your hotel to anyone from now on as you are too difficult to deal with.
Good luck with your occupancy rates into the future.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank perthguy6

Reviewed October 12, 2009

We have just come back from 7 nights at the Sheraton in Sengiggi. We arrived in Lombok after two weeks on the Gili Islands looking forward to some luxury on our honeymoon. We booked a deluxe terrace room and the first room we were given smelt really bad, it was really musty and damp. We are not generally complainers but I thought we are paying good money so I complained to reception. They were very helpful and showed us another two rooms in the same and adjoining block but they all had the same problem. Unlike one of the previous reviews we did not get upgraded to a suite but they said they would give us a $20 USD discount if we wanted to upgrade. We ended up staying in the terrace room but we spent a bit on air fresheners from the local supermarket! The smell is really weird and quite strong we thought that maybe they needed to upgrade their air conditioning system throughout the hotel. The other thing we noticed about the hotel is that the rooms are very dated, they definitely need renovation as I think one of the staff told us it had been open for 17 years and it doesn't look like it has been refurbished since! The positives about the Sheraton are definitely the grounds and pool area, this part of the resort is awesome and we spent hours in the pool or sunbathing on the loungers. The sunset bar is also very nice and they do happy hour cocktails which is even better. My husband used the gym a few times which he said was great and the few lunches we had were really nice as well. Once you venture outside the resort their are a couple of good restaurants, Asmara and The Office which are close by and the supermarket is nice and handy if you dont want to pay resort prices for bottled water and soft drinks etc. The hawkers are pretty bad on the beach as it is so quiet on lombok in terms of tourism but generally if you said 'No' politely they would take the hint, there are just quite a few of them as there are not so many tourist dollars to go around!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JessHBNZ
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Just leaving the Sheraton hotel in Lombok, Indonesia, and wanted to drop a few lines while it's all fresh. Did 3D/2N and this was my first time in Lombok (my wife is Indonesian and has been several times). We really enjoyed our stay, the grounds were excellent, we stayed in a terrace room after reading several reviews that recommended that. With kids, that's the only way to go, especially if you have a toddler like ours. The staff were, as is almost always the case with Indonesians, exceptionally friendly and thoroughly enjoyed their job, by all appearances. The central grounds are very green, no surprise there, and the stroll to and along the beach was very scenic. The beach itself, and the water up close to the shoreline, was pretty dirty, it would take 3-4 Indonesian workers an hour to clean it up, not sure why they aren't doing that, though in their paperwork they say they do (we didn't see it the whole time we were here). The pool, as others have mentioned, is awesome, me and the baby had a blast in there, though this time of the year (maybe always?) the water was pretty chilly. Food was very good, especially the breakfast, which in my opinion was super, ton of selections for Americans, Europeans, and Asians alike. Didn't get to eat at the hotel restaurants since we were dining out most of the time, though we got room service the first night and it was great. Speaking of which, we had a bad experience our last afternoon in Lombok (about 30 minutes ago, which is another reason I'm writing this right now, cuz I'm ticked off), at a restaurant call the Sunshine Restaurant, just a little south a few minutes along the main road from the Sheraton. This place served some of the worst food I've ever had, and I mean after eating in some horrible places around the world. I ordered pasta with chicken and chillies, and whatever they served me looked like a kid had made it from stuff in a can. Tried a couple bites, which in the end was the reason why they were going to charge me for that plate of food, even though I didn't eat 98% of it. Tried to get a manager, none was on site, and they wouldn't give me his number. We had about 7 other dishes plus drinks, and everything but the milkshake was extremely poor, but we ate it, except for this pasta. I highly recommend you DO NOT GO TO SUNSHINE RESTAURANT. They have no idea what they are doing there.
Anyway, back to the hote...the Sheraton's rooms are pretty good, decent TV and DVD, not real spacy but enough room for 2 adults and a baby, fairly quick in-room internet access (about $10/day), and the bathrooms are very good. No problems with water or power while we were there, and the deck was very, very nice, being able to sit out on the comfortable recliner out there and watch the sunset was great!
The hotel gave us a late checkout, then let us keep our belongings in storage till our plane took off 5 hrs later. All in all, the stay was great, though I wouldn't say they are quite 5-star, but very close. They make a huge effort, and their customer service is top-notch, but living in Dubai I get to see what an actual 5-star (and the occasional 7-star!) looks and feels like, so it's hard to put this one in their league. Overall though, we loved our visit, and would unquestionably recommend you stay there if you get a chance.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jasonindubai
Reviewed September 23, 2009

the hotel room is so-so and without bath tub (deluxe seaside room). a little bit needs of renovation but it is clean and cool. very nice view from the room (garden plus ocean view). the service is so-so because they couldn't find an umbrella for us and it was raining for 2 days but they are friendly with big smile on the face all the time. breakfast buffet is super nice!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rubytaiwan
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days and they were wonderful, when we first arrived the room that we were staying in smelt and felt very damp, we told reception and were upgraded to a suite which was great ( and didn't smell funny). The staff said this was because they didn't want us having a bad memory of our first trip to Lombok. We didn't!

The room was very well equipped and had a lovely deck with a sunbed and table and chairs, the gardens were beautifully maintained and the beach was very close. The pool was free form and large with plenty of sunbeds around and on the beach.

Breakfast selection was very good and the service was constantly excellent in all areas of the hotel including the waiters from the bar which has a very good happy hour twice a night to sample the local cocktails!!

We went and tried out a salt massage in the spa which although a little pricey was very relaxing and left us both feeling silky smooth.

Overall this hotel was very well placed in Senggigi to sample all of the restaurants that the area can offer, in addition to having good facilities and very attentive staff. We can not wait to come back!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Looseal
Reviewed August 7, 2009

First, some context. We spent four weeks in Bali, Five Days on Gili Trawangan and seven days @ the Sheraton in Lombok. Hotels included the Westin, Le Meridian and Laguna on Bali and a couple nice local places. Why did we like the Sheraton so much? Fist off the Sheraton is very reasonably priced (1/4 of the Laguna based on points). The staff was amazing and the mgt. took excellent care of us. We had a transportation problem which may have been as much our fault as theirs, but the mgt. took complete responsiblity and really took care of us upon arrival. To a person the staff was exceptional! Aside from value and service, I really enjoyed the location of the Sheraton. We were only a two minute walk from several really good and well priced restaurants (walk down the beach and take your pick--we liked Quake and the Office). A walk to the center of town took perhaps 10 minutes (cab is 50 cents, bemo 30 cents, horse drawn carriage a couple dollars). We really prefered Lombok over Bali as it was: 1) less crowded 2) cleaner 3) better roads. I really enjoyed the "feel" of Sengigi and enjoyed sightseeing on a motorbike (would not do this in Bali due to traffic), surfing (nice reef break) hanging out at several live music venues, partaking in cheap massages... Other information: dive trips to the Gilis will cost 75USD (Two dives). The beach guys (I won't call them touts) can be pesky at first, but will leave you alone once they get to know you. The Sheraton said it best: selling to tourist is the primary source of income for these guys and their village. The people are working very hard to earn very little money. We picked up quite a few DVDs (had to take advantage of the Sheraton's large flat screens + DVD players) and a couple didn't work. The DVD guy was more than happy to trade and even tracked me down when he heard his DVD didn't work. Final note: I think the fact that Lombok is predominantly a Muslim island makes some American travelers uneasy. I found an island of hard working, respectful, and kind people who were just happy we came to visit. We felt much more comfortable in Lombok than in many places in the US. Oh, take advantage of the 2:1 happy hour.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rivermanpaul
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Just came back yesterday from Lombok. Our best 5 days in a long long time.

The people makes the trip so special - from the hotel staff, the drivers, the trinklets sellers outside the hotel - were all so friendly,

Yes - we got fleeced using the Sheraton Hotel's Tour Desk for our boat trip to Gili Islands (they used the same boats as the those outside the hotel) and charged us double the going rate).

The snorkeling equipment provided were broken and badly abused.......bring your own. It was nevertheless a great trip.....and we had the best magarita pizza - thin crust and so so good on Gili.

The taxi ordered by the hotel took us for a wilde ride - and tried to bring us to his favourite pearl store.

Having the Indonesian Presdient SBY visiting during our visit fireworks in the evening the next before and capping it all with a traditional Lombok Wedding procession on our way to the airport .....what more can we ask for ??

Lombok - we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends