“Great place - very honest owner and staff”
Review of Made Homestay

Made Homestay
Ranked #37 of 45 Senggigi B&B and Inns
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Great place - very honest owner and staff”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Read the previous reports on the bedbugs - in the 14 nights that stayed in room 6 I had no problems with bed bugs.
Made the owner is a great guy, he spends most of his time there and has a friend who covers what he can't do.
Got to know them well and I would trust them with anything, very honest and easy going. Rented a bike from one of them for 40,000 a day too.
Breakfasts were great with Banana Pancake and honey with coffee. Breakfast is anytime between 7am and when you get up. There was one guest with a hangover and he got breakfast after 11am - most places have a cut off period, but here they offer breakfast with the night price and that's what they give you.

I paid 80,000 a night, told them i was staying 3 nights and ended up staying 14 nights. I didn't even think of asking for a further discount as it was great value for the money. Great comfortable bed, great toilet/shower area and a nice area with a small wardrobe between the bed area and the bathroom. Great wi-fi too (free). Closer to the router better the signal.

Each room has a semi-private balcony with table and chairs. I used to laugh at them as they swept up every day, Made with his mirrored sunglases, looking like he is about to go out for a surf, but instead he's got a broom in his hand or he's watering his plants. Great little area, wonderful staff and abolutely no problems for me. I would easily come back here, one fo the better rooms i've stayed in as a budget traveller, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank donnie1965

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Madrid
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The place looks nice and the staff is very friendly, price is cheap.

At midnight we had to move to a different place as we found that there was BEDBUGS, thankfully we spotted them before we got to sleep!

The staff was quite helpfull, found another place for us,(Helen's Hotel) but we read the reviews and decided to go to Raj's Bungalows, which are very nice, although a bit more expensive.

Our friends stayed in room number 4 and didn't have any problem, and they did the laundry of the clothes that had been in the bed, as I didn't want to take them to another hotel and pass the bugs...

Room Tip: BEDBUGS in room 5, room 4 seems to be ok..
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sara R

Travelers are raving about these Senggigi hotels

Cardiff
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Sadly my partner and I didn't see these reviews before checking in a few days ago. We arrived around midday after a fairly stressful drive from Kuta and were pleasantly surprised by the room (apart from the bathroom which was dire) for the price (we've definitely stayed in worse looking rooms). We were asked to pay 150,000 Rp up front which we have done in a few other homestays so didn't think much of it. We then had to spend the whole day in Mataram shopping and were so exhausted when we got back we just had a few drinks and an early dinner in a nearby hotel before falling quickly asleep after such a long day.

We were so tired we slept right through until my partner woke me up in shock telling me the place was crawling with bed bugs. True enough, i opened my eyes and they were everywhere and HUGE - they must have been feasting for ages - urgh. We caught more than 20 in sellotape to show the staff and when we searched the mattress there were loads more of the things in the seams, and even worse than that, loads of dried blood stains which prove this is not a new problem. We had to wait till 8am before the day staff came on shift and so moved into a nearby hotel in the meantime. I was busy scrubbing myself when my partner went back to get a refund. He came back after about 5 minutes saying that the staff were very apologetic but said we needed the room receipt as the guy said we only paid 100,000Rp (this amount was written in the official reservation book). James couldn't remember how much we paid but thought it was 120,000 - the guy said okay but we need a receipt. I couldn't believe it as we definitely paid the very same man 150,000 less than 24 hours before, and our receipt is nowhere to be seen! James went back and insisted we wanted the full amount back, but it took a while before they relented saying they didn't want any trouble and finally gave us our money back!

This place could be great - good location with decent sized rooms, but until they fix the bed bugs once and for all (it seems more than just room 3 is infested), and provided they don't try to scam other tourists out of money I would stay well away. I'm not one to write negative things unless its really necessary, but I feel I have to warn others about this place. Serious disappointment and a potential disaster if the bugs get in your luggage.

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Unfortunately, they still couldn't manage to get rid of bedbugs. Together with people from two other rooms we moved out in the middle of the night. Staff was not really helpful. At least we didn't pay beforehand. Better stay away from there!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed July 23, 2012

At first i thought it was a nice place but later turned into my nightmare of bedbugs

• Stayed July 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The guesthouse looks pretty, but: We had to move to another guesthouse around midnight because of BEDBUGS - we switched on the light after 10 minutes and there were bugs all over the bed and us. We left the room immediately and did not get our money back although we could not sleep there. The staff told us that the owner has to accept this problem. But the owner was not there even three days later. I was pissed off. One of the staff-guys was really aggressive against me and wanted to start a fight. But then he decided to calm down. Today (5 days later) we still have bedbugs and do not know really how to get rid of them while traveling. Washing everything is easy but to kill the eggs inside our bags without sun is a big problem: To find a cold storage house is not easy. I still have the allergy. A stressful time thanks to 10 minutes at Made Homestay.

Room Tip: If the room smells weird, kind of sweet, check the mattress for bugs, eggs, blood spots and don'...
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZephyrQueen
Denmark
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed three nights in Made Homestay. First of all I think this is a great little place, good value at 100.000 for fan and 150.000 for aircon incl small breakfast.

Here comes all the details:
I stayed in #4 with aircon, there is a total of 6 rooms. The rooms are built in a line leading away from the main road with the closest room being around 10m from the street. The homestay is around 75m from the beach and there are a few restaurants around, Senggigi Center is 15min walking/4min motorbike.
My room was very clean, the bed super-comfortable and the aircon quiet. There is a tv in the room but It it not hooked up to anything. The Bathroom is basic, cold water shower and a small western style toilet that must be flushed using a bucket. There is no sink. There is also a cupboard with coathanger for clothes. The porch has two chairs, a table and a rack for drying your towels.
The place now has their own wifi (before they used the wifi from the beach-club), and its pretty fast, skype with video no problem.
The staff was very helpfull and friendly, arranged a rental car for me for 180.000 (crappy old car and very cheap which was excactly what i wanted.

The only reason I did not rate this place very good is that the rooms are noisy because of the street nearby, its doable with earplugs. I normally sleep like a rock and without earplugs I would not have been able to sleep. Try to get the room as far away from the street as possible- the local pharmacy in Senggigi center sells earplugs :)

It can be sort of hard to find contact details for them so here is the number of Made: 087865618936

Hope this was usefull.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back away from the street
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo