“Do no expect too much...”

Cafe Lombi, Swiss Bakery & Cafeteria
Ranked #2 of 2 Bakeries in Senggigi
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was so excited to read about cafe lombi review that i make it a must visit cafe when I'm in Lombok. I've to admit the disappointment when I finally get to try the coffee. I've ordered espresso double shot with bean recommended by the staff. The barista did not extract a good cup of espresso, its too watery. My spouse ordered cafe latte which is just ordinary. I was expecting an artisan coffee being served.
This is purely constructive feedback for improvement not back-stabbing criticism.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Coffee here is really excellent (even in iced latte, which is often a challenge). Now a pain au chocolat is, in my opinion, a perfect accompaniment to any coffee, but I was very disappointed with what turned up on my plate. I realised it wasn't going to be good merely from the weight - then biting into it, it proved to be very heavy and stodgy (rather than the light, flaky confection I had expected). I'd definitely go back for the coffee, but would give the bakery a miss the next time.

Also the decor is, frankly, a bit tired...

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stopped into Cafe Lombi to get out of the rain and was glad we did. The coffee was fantastic and the pastries were wonderful little treats. We only went once, but really enjoyed it. Check it out if you have a spare moment, you won't regret it.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Cafe Lombi today and it was a truly GREAT coffee experience. I actually started my visit by sending an email to their info address, asking about their Kopi Luwak, and their roasting profiles. Since I had read other reviews saying they roast their own coffee there, and since I am a home roaster, I was curious what their treatment would be for the uber-special Kopi Luwak. I also wasn't sure how to get there, since I couldn't find either my hotel or their shop on a map. Within 30 minutes, the manager, Martin Ponti, wrote me back. He not only answered my questions so cheerfully and thoroughly that I was tempted to leave a positive review based on that alone, but he even offered to pick me up and give me a lift to the cafe the next day. Wow!

So, I went in this morning at 9am, and since we'd chatted a little about roasting, he invited me upstairs to look at the roasting side of things. It's a cool operation! Although he has access to large scale roasters for doing larger scale business with hotels, for this cafe, he actually has a little Behmor 1600 sample roaster right on site where he can roast very small batches of specialty grade coffee to utmost perfection.

Speaking of specialty grade coffee, Martin actually went through the trouble to learn all about coffee, and it's various flavors, processes and idiosyncracies, and is now a certified Quality Grader. Making a great cup of coffee starts with selecting the best beans, and Martin is a certified and talented expert with 14 years experience. He's also an incredibly friendly and engaging fellow! He is Swiss, and aside from being an expert on selecting and roasting coffee, he also has a side business fixing and renting out high-end fully-automatic Jura coffee machines, which, conveniently, are also Swiss. The Jura machines will definitely make a reliably fantastic cup of coffee with any beans, but Martin knows (and has trained his staff) how to make coffee with a variety of other options, such as French Press and Siphon, to give you more options for different ways of trying each bean.

If you are a true coffee geek, or even just someone who appreciates really GOOD quality coffee, Cafe Lombi has an array of small batch-roasted specialty coffees you can choose from for a small extra fee (RP 5,000) beyond the standard cup.

As for the Kopi Luwak, since we'd been chatting and hanging out, Martin personally prepared my cup. He did this was the utmost precision and care to ensure the absolute ideal experience. I won't deny that Kopi Luwak is basically a gimmic, and even Martin will admit this. But given that, the price was quite reasonable at RP 9,500 for a personal serving. Beyond that, Martin gave the preparation the utmost care and ceremony to really make the experience memorable for me (even down to measuring the precise amount of beans with a digital gram scale, and pre-heating the cup and the french press). I'm willing to believe he (or his staff) does this for everybody who buys a specialty coffee, but it really felt like the royal treatment for me.

While I was there, he also let me try some delicious Vanilla cookies, and some of his locally famous fresh bread. He even had me try a couple of the other specialty coffees, just to get a basis of comparison for the luwak.

All told, the Luwak coffee was definitely interesting. The bitterness was almost non-existent, and the rest of the flavor profile was bright and citrusy (which is also partly due to the light roast which allows more of the varietal flavors to shine). The body was nice and syrupy, and coated my tongue so thoroughly that I could still taste the flavors for minutes after swallowing each sip.

The location is not fancy, in a little strip mall on the side of the road. The cafe itself is simple and somewhat sparse. But the environment is relaxed, the beans are top grade, the staff is friendly and professional, and the coffee is absolutely world class.

2  Thank Alex H
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Very polite and friendly staff who helped us with directions. Iced coffee so nice and I was so hot that I had 2!! Very clean bathroom and premises.