“We didn't seek it out, but glad we found it”
Review of Sinantisi

Sinantisi
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Zaros
Cuisines: Diner, Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Travelling for many years to Greek Ilands and trying all sorts of food, this small, intimate taverna run by Efi and Dinos on the main street of Zaros is no less than outstanding. Old grandma traditional cooking, served with such concern and friendliness. Only four tables makes you feel as though you are part of the family. Delicately decorated dishes which pleased the eye as well as the belly. Really worth at trip to Zaros just to experience this taverna called I Sinantisi which means The Meatingpoint. Incredible!
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“We didn't seek it out, but glad we found it”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We'd gone up into the hills for a bit of a sightsee, and I had ambitions of finding a monastery up near Zaros which the guide book said has 2000-year old plane trees outside the gates. As we drove slowly through Zaros (a nice little town), filthy grey storm clouds were gathering and a thunderstorm was evidently on its way.

We parked up and wandered in, looking primarily for coffee and loo; the welcome so was so good we decided to have a kalitsounia each as well - small Cretan pies of filo pastry, filled with soft cheese, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon. Fantastic! OK, cheese and honey maybe sounds a bit strange to the average Brit but trust me - they're wonderful.

Then the rain started; thunder, lightning and savage rainfall until the street outside was an inch deep in water running downhill; an amazing sight. So, we just sat tight and drank coffee, chatted with the owners and waited out the weather.

It wouldn't do to talk about this place without mentioning the loos; not many cafe loos in Greece where you get an ancient-looking wooden bedside table sort of a thing in the corner, with a large glass vase filled with pebbles and a floral display. A bit bohemian, and completely in accord with the rest of the place.

All in all, a great little taverna, owned and run by lovely people.

Visited April 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Wonderful and delicious!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We visited this restaurant the day after it opened for the tourist season. We actually planned to only stop for a drink and vine leaves, but the vine leaves were so amazing we decided to stay. When I asked the lady serving how to make good vine leaves (mine have always been awful!), she asked her mother in law for precise instructions and passed these onto me, which I really appreciated

We then stayed for a truly amazing vegetarian meal of mixed appetisers. The lady who runs it answered all our questions about Crete, Cretan food etc and made us feel very welcome. She and her fiance were so generous to us, and their hospitality went way beyond what you normally expect in a restaurant. Their menu is very varied and the food is very well priced.

When I came to write this review, I was truly surprised to see negative reviews. Our experience was great, and I would highly recommend it. I hope to visit again.

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Worst meal had in Crete”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Really surprised to see such positive reviews. I am writing this nearly 8 months after my visit and still remember it clearly as the worst meal that we had during out 2 week stay in Crete. Every single other meal (over 30 in total) without fail, we really enjoyed!
We both wanted souvlaki but were made to feel this was a boring choice, so were talked into having one stifado instead. We were given literally a couple of olives to eat while we were waiting for the food, which felt extremely 'tight' and was a stark contrast to all other places we have been to in Crete and experienced generous hospitality (e.g. complimentary fried zucchini, aubergines, feta, fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, crisps, bread etc.). The food itself was a real disappointment - both dishes were accompanied by a mound of fried potato chips, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes crammed around the side of the plates - the fact that both dishes had exactly the same accompaniment was completely thoughtless and did not compliment the main dish at all e.g. why would you want to eat a hot stew with cold salad items?? At the restaurant 'Vegera' down the road, such dishes were served with warm vegetables which was ten times nicer! When I was served the souvlaki, the lady asked me if I would like any tzatziki, to which I said that would be lovely. She then brought out a huge bowl full straight from the fridge - it was cold and congealed - nothing like any other tzatziki that I have ever had! Disgusting! When the bill arrived, I was shocked to see I had been charged 6 euros for this!! When I explained that I thought it was complimentary and had not expected such a large bowl full (I only had a couple of spoon fulls) and that I had expected something similar to the small pots that ketchup or mayonnaise or served in with chips, the lady laughed at me and was very mocking. I pointed out that she should have asked me if I had wanted a side of order of tzatziki at the time of ordering the food, not when the food was brought out as this was extremely misleading and I did not realise that I would be charged for it. I did not at this point have the menu either so had no idea of the cost. This was not pointed out to me either. In the end, she took it off the bill but was rude to me about it and demanding to know where I had eaten souvlaki before. When I told her in Greece, she made a scornful remark and said 'well this is CRETE.' In addition to this, throughout the meal the owners/staff of the restaurant sat on the table next to us (it was empty apart from them) talking loudly and chain smoking which was really inconsiderate (we are both non-smokers) and really put us off our food. Overall, a really unpleasant experience, extremely disappointing food and a total rip off.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank twinkles_123
efi a, Διευθυντής at Sinantisi, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
The surprise was all ours to see such a bad review.
We will of course take all your remarks into consideration, because our goal is always to improve.
Firstly we are well known all over the island for our souvlaki, and therefore is no way that I would have tried to change your mind from eating it. You was suggested stifado, so you could have some variety, in which you had the choice, and made the decision.
Secondly, all our meals cooked in clay pots, are served on a larger plate and decorated with fresh salad, which most of our customers enjoy the contrast of hot food and raw salad. There is no right and wrong. It’s a matter of taste.
Thirdly, tzatziki costs 3.50 euro and it’s on the menu. It is always kept in the fridge because of the heat. No dairy products can be kept at room temperature, especially in August.
Your remarks about our behavior will have no comment, because all the customers we had so far, can answer with their comments.
As far as the smoking, you choose to side outside, where smoking is allowed, and if you wanted to be moved indoors where is a non smoking area, we would be happy to accommodate you.
In spite of all the above we will be very pleased to see you again, and to have a chance to do our best, to change the bad image.
Exeter UK
“Delicious Cretan food”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Having recently arrived in Zaros we wandered into Sinantisi by chance for a drink. We ordered vine leaves to go with the drink and they were so delicious we stayed for dinner! We chose a number of vegetarian options from the appetisers and put together a memorable vegetarian meal - courgette balls, aubergine salad, fried cheese etc. It was all freshly cooked and all excellent. The service was very friendly too and we enjoyed an extended chat with the young woman serving who spoke very good English. (This is a family concern as so many of the best things in Crete are)

• Visited April 2014
Krakow, Poland
“Nice place and nice people”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I was lucky to get here. Nice salad and nice "something made of mountain herbs". Very nice people too. In fact I'm just sitting here now - which means they have wi-fi too

Visited February 2014