Hotel Palacio de Mengibar
$80
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 29, 2012

It was like finding a hidden treasure as you entered a different world on encountering the interior of this wonderful 11th century former palace, Beautiful ornate furniture and pictures and lovely courtyards. A very impressive entrance hall. Our room on the first floor overlooked the courtyard and had a Juliet balcony. Very large, comfortable bed and a good sized bathroom. We didn't eat in the restaurant on the night we stayed (although the room and setting was beautiful) but we had breakfast the next morning in the converted stable. This was the only down point of our stay. This dining room was in need of a facelift and the waitress/chef was unable to produce scrambled egg and bacon, although hot food was advertised as available if required! Staff were charming and helpful

Room Tip: Our room108 overlooked the courtyard and had a small balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarnetBeachbabe
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel is way better than the pictures show! We arrived after a long, tiring and stressful journey and this was all forgotten the second we entered the hotel. There was underground parking for free and the spa was open till 10pm - fantastic as we arrived at nine and were still able to unwind in the pool, jacuzzi and sauna until 10pm when we went for a fantastic meal outside in the courtyard. The room was superb and I can't rate this hotel highly enough. A real gem! Would go back in an instant and wish we'd stayed for longer!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nuzzonick
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel is a joke. I have lived in spain for 2 years now and have stayed in a number of hotels in my time. We are here now on a monday and the restaurants are closed (same every monday) and the spa is closed today and tomorrow. Mengibar itself has very little to do so we have been confined to our hotel room (which is nice) all day and now all evening. The hotel has potential to be good, it has had some money spent on it. But the service and facilities are nowhere near. Its cheap but I would have rather stayed elsewhere had I known there was nothing to do. Plenty nice hotels where I live with lots to do. Staff at front desk didn't care that we were unhappy (par for the course)m if I owned this hotel I would be gutted as it will not last for long. Poor service, poor location, poor facilities, nice rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel and really enjoyed the whole experience. The price of the standard double room on the ground floor was extremely reasonable, yet the bathroom and bedroom were outstandingly clean, shiny and modern. The bathroom exceeded all bathrooms in other hotels where we stayed, with exceptional design. There is soft 'mood music' in the corridors, perhaps strange, yet probably to compliment the fragrance of the corridors and invite guests into the spa. Although the spa staff were having a day off on the Monday, we were allowed to use the (empty) spa on the Sunday.

Some of the courtyards definitely need more attention: chairs were broken and there were no plants or flowers, yet the entrance courtyard was lovely with a fountain and seating in the shade. The entrance foyer and lounge were beautifully decorated and the best places for taking advantage of the free Wi Fi. We didn't eat at the hotel since there was a local bar in the far corner or the square serving tapas, where we could chat and watch the football with the locals. (Thank goodness Spain won!) Even the storks nesting on the top of the church tower enchanted us. It's the right hotel for people who want super accommodation, but enjoy seeing Spain away from the tourists.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank margs109
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Mengibar was a perfect stopover, en route from our home in the south of Spain, to the Cazorla National Park. We picked this hotel because of the reviews and, on balance, believe we made a good choice.

The hotel lives up to its description and has been well renovated. We were offered a good rate by Booking.com, paying £51 for the one night accommodation, which included IVA and a "light breakfast", which I will comment on later!

The Palacio de Mengibar is extremely well positioned , on a lovely "plaza", in a town that, quite frankly, has little else to offer! We had a comfortable bedroom and a decent sized bathroom. The balcony overlooked the courtyard, which was very pleasant, but lacking in privacy from the two adjacent balconies.

We thought the restaurant was attractive, but, unlike some of your other reviewers, felt the food was not particularly appetizing, as well as being overpriced. Possibly, we were unduly influenced by the service in the restaurant, which was very unprofessional. I am not having a pop at the waiter. He was a decent young man, but did not seem to be very well trained.

We arrived in the restaurant within five minutes of the commencement of service, and were still there by "last orders", having waited forever to be served. The classic was the arrival of the bread. We asked for some olive oil and the waiter said he would bring it with the "amuse-bouche". We then ate all the bread while waiting for the oil and the amuse-bouche. We called for more bread as by now we were getting quite hungry, but this time insisted on some oil. It eventually came, and it was of a very high quality. This all might seem a little bit trivial, but not if you consider that Mengibar is in the heart of the olive growing area, just up the road from Jaen and not too far away from Baena, where you will taste Andalucian olive oil at its very best.

An extra waitress came on the scene about an hour or so into service, but this didn't seem to make too much difference! There was obviously a problem at the coal face, as well as front of house, as there were only 13 covers in the restaurant all evening. Not, I would have thought, a number to overstretch the kitchen in a four star hotel.

The bar in the hotel was perfectly OK, apart from the inevitable television that, on our arrival, was blasting out an uncontrollable noise that I suppose passes for music, with the inevitable gyrations of scantily clad, totally sexless young women and their equally sexless male opposite numbers! However, the barman was a great guy who, on request, promptly switched over to football, with the sound turned down!

All in all, the hotel was clean. My reason for an "average" rating on cleanliness was because of the breakfast room and the service. The light breakfast, supplied by a young lady who was also preparing breakfasts in the adjacent bar, consisted of tea/coffee or orange juice (not both) and a piece of toast and jam with a choice, if you so wished, of a slice of processed cheese or a piece of the worst type of Jamon de York imaginable (believe me, you would never get this in York).

Frankly, I didn't mind this as, in the morning, both my wife and I are happy with a bowl of cereal or a slice of toast with a splash of olive oil, and either a covering of jam or a shake of the salt cellar on the oil. So for us, it wasn't so much the breakfast as the state of the breakfast room, which really let the place down. Nothing was covered, the room needed a very good cleaning as well as a good coat of paint. The greyish coverings on the display tables (tables with an uncovered display of the worst type of buffet breakfast you can imagine; fortunately, not for the "breakfast inclusive" customers) might not have been dirty, but they just looked like it. All in all, not a pleasant experience.

Check out also presented problems. The couple in front of us took ages to check out and we soon found out why. After several attempts with credit cards he eventually went into his wallet and found just enough cash to meet the bill. My turn next, and again the same problem with credit cards, nothing going through. However, unlike the guy in front of me, I hadn't enough cash to meet the bill. I was preparing to go out to look for an ATM when the receptionist came up with a better solution and telephoned through to get authorisation on my card, which she duly got. She thanked me, then turned to the next customer. No receipt? It had not even remotely crossed her mind that having just got telephone authorisation to get cash off my card I would want some sort of acknowledgement that I had paid! I did get it, of course and I have since checked my credit card statement and all is in order.

There are several things wrong with this hotel, but, providing you get a good rate, I would certainly recommend it for a stopover or a couple of nights maximum. One of the hotels selling points is that it is a good base for Baeza, Ubeda, Cazorla etc but, quite frankly, I'm not convinced!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple