“Best service you will find”

and 1 more site!
Carriages - Cocktail Bar, Restaurant & Rooms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wellington
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Best service you will find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights with a friend and everything was just spot on.
I arrived, parked and James came out, took my bag for me and saw me inside. Got registered and he took my bag and showed me to my room. He explained everything fully and was very good at front of house.
When my friend arrived, he saw her in and got us both a lovely cocktail. The bar has an extensive cocktail menu (we tried a few) and they are made perfectly. Alex took over in the evening and took our dinner order and continued to serve our cocktails.
Dinner was fabulous, great presentation and delicious flavours. I did discover that all the desserts had cream in but they kindly brought me a cheese board.
The room was very nicely decorated and looks like it's been done by an interior designer. Beds very comfortable and the room and en suite had everything you would need in a hotel.
I did worry that it would be noisy being next to the train station but heard nothing.
Breakfast was served by Val, who was extremely attentive and helpful.
After our day out in Shrewsbury, we came back to enjoy a few more cocktails before dinner. James had spoken to the chef (Dan) about me unable to eat cream and he had taken the time to make a chocolate fondant especially for me which I though was very special and over and above - and was delicious.
Overall, the hotel is fantastic but a strange location. This would be ideal for anyone to stay, business or pleasure. I would highly recommend it to anybody and if this way or nearby again, would not hesitate to stay again.
Thanks to all for making the stay so good.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Carriages-Wellington, Public Relations Manager at Carriages - Cocktail Bar, Restaurant & Rooms, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Wendy,

Thank you very much for your kind words with regards to Carriages.

I'm very glad to hear that everything met your standards throughout your two day stay, especially with regards to the 'delicious' Chocolate Fondant that our chef made for yourself. You will be pleased to know that this has now been added into our restaurant menu.

Many thanks again for your very kind comments and we look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Regards, Ben

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hinckley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

Visited Carriages on a Travelzoo deal to celebrate my anniversary, which I mentioned at the time of booking. Wellington itself is pretty basic, but Carriages, in my opinion, is a lovely little oasis of fabulousness within it. My husband and I had visited Hawkstone Park Follies (which is a fabulous walk) before arriving at Carriages. The hotel has only seven bedrooms and ours was more than satisfactory. The staff are so welcoming and pleasant. We had a free cocktail in the cocktail bar, of which there is an immense choice, so there would be something to suit all tastes. The menu looked lovely and, at the time of ordering, we were advised that because it was our anniversary, (which I had mentioned at the time of booking, which was about 2 months before!) the hotel were offering a free bottle of wine with the meal! We then asked for a bottle of red (assuming it would be the "house" wine) and were asked which red we would like from the menu. Honestly, we were blown away! Then we moved into the dining room, where the food arrived and, I have to say it was delicious, delicious, delicious and very plentiful too. The bed was lovely and big and comfortable and I slept very well in it. (My husband was a bit disturbed by the noise, as there is a pub on the ground floor but I wore ear plugs and didn't hear a thing.) The breakfast next morning was exemplary. The fresh fruit salad was delicious, with strawberries, blue berries and big juicy black currants, grapes and melon and kiwi. Had a little pastry, which was fresh and yummy. The full English was lovely and good quality and there was lots of it. I didn't want an egg and was asked if I would like extra of anything else to make up for having no egg! Lady at breakfast was lovely and soooo helpful and pleasant. I cannot praise the whole thing enough really. It was a fabulous anniversary weekend and one I will remember with lots of pleasure, though I don't think I will be eating very much today! I really, really recommend staying at Carriages!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words with regards to Carriages.

Your comments with regards to your stay are very pleasing to hear and I'm also glad to hear that we helped you celebrate your wedding anniversary in style.

We look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Spent a Saturday and Sunday night early in July on a Travelzoo deal. The only hiccup, as most people have commented, is the location, through the bus station and at the back of some shops, BUT, we still have to give it 5 stars as the food, accommodation and staff more than make up for it. Returned after a visit last year to find a new chef and cocktail waiter and it's as good as ever.
Cocktails are great and the Chef has a lot of years experience and it shows, food is fantastic and so well presented. First class full English breakfast and good selection of cold too.
Handy for public transport, Wellington railway station and bus station are on the doorstep. Also good location for visiting Ironbridge and the museums.
Look forward to staying again..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lively4
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your two day stay with us at Carriages.

Its very pleasing to hear that you would give us a '5 star' rating for our food, accommodation and staff for the duration of your visit.

Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went here with a travelzoo voucher. Great hotel, good food, very friendly and obliging staff. Room was beautiful. Had a great time, would definitely recommend. Don't be put off my the location because when you get inside its a different world.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
It is very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us earlier this year, and that you would recommend us in the future.

Telford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Came for dinner and cocktails, first impressions weren't great as the location is not good, but do not let it put you off! Inside is friendly clean and great atmosphere. We ate from the tapas menu and were impressed with all 8 dishes we chose! Between 4-8pm selected cocktails are 2 for £8, and even after that they are still fairly priced! Overall a great night! Good food and drinks and great service! Very happy!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Tasmin,

Many thanks for your very kind comments and we look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future for more food and cocktails.

Rotherham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Came here via travel zoo offer as a break to celebrate my 30th birthday with my hubby. An absolutely fantastic boutique hotel, from the moment we arrived the staff made us feel welcome and service was 5*. Food superb and cocktails out of this world. Only negative is rooms too hot. Definitely booking a return trip :).

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MarcandAimee
Dear Marc & Aimee,

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you was made to feel welcomed by our team.

Many thanks for your very kind comments and we look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Booked in by work - slightly apprehensive when I arrived due to location but in the grand scheme of things it was fine. You don't stay in Telford for the beaches. Once your inside you totally forget about the location as decor and service great. Rooms spotless and breakfast superb. Best point of the visit - certainly the cocktails.....

Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Many thanks for your very kind comments with regards to our hotel and its great to know that you enjoyed our cocktails. They certainly are hit with both the hotel guests and regular customers.

Regards, Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellington
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 14 in Shrewsbury
Park Inn by Radisson Telford

Been to Carriages - Cocktail Bar, Restaurant & Rooms? Share your experiences!