“Amazing Lunch and Friendly Staff”

Craigsanquhar House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craigsanquhar
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Amazing Lunch and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have not yet stayed at Craigsanquhar, but my fiance and I have been over for lunch and we are getting married here in September.

We have been to Craigsanquhar quite a few times now and each time the staff have been extremely helpful and friendly and have gone out of their way to ensure that we have everything we need. Nina, the wedding planner, has been great since the initial meeting we had with her and she is very prompt and helpful when answering any of my emails.

Craigsanquhar offer a 2 course lunch for £14.50, with an option of 3 courses for £19.50. We can't fault the food we had when we went for lunch as it was gorgeous and the portions were very generous..we were stuffed after eating here! My family joined us for this lunch and they have been recommending it to everyone since!

I am so happy to have booked Craigsanquhar for our big day in September and can't wait to get married here...I would hate to think that friends and family invited to our wedding would then log on to TripAdvisor and leave a bad review after being invited to share in our special day. It seems really unfair as these reviews have mentioned that Craigsanquhar is great as a wedding venue, but have not elaborated on this, which is not a fair and balanced review of a place. Although I have to say these reviews don't do anything to dampen my excitement for our wedding!

We will definitely be visiting Craigsanquhar a few more times before the wedding and I look forward to our next delicious lunch here and can't wait for our big day!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AngelaK1986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
livingston
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and having always found staff both helpful courteous i was amazed to read the negative comments made by the couple who attended a wedding there. The two comments are obviously from the same couple writing about the same experience,ive stayed in the room they were speaking of and it actually is a small suite consisting of a small sitting room with a sofa bed and television are with tea and coffee facilities in it,then moving through an alcove and hallway to the bedroom again with another television,dressing table and bed ,servants must have been well catered for,with regards to the costs of food , tea and coffee there is a price list in the bedrooms and the price these two guests quoted in their reports are vastly exaggerated,it is very bad form to dupe trip advisor into printing 2 negative reports for the same stay by two separate partners affects the excellent rating that the hotel already holds. I have always been welcomed and taken care of at craigsanquhar and look forward to many more stays there. I have many friends who have also stayed there and have never had anything but positive experiences. I hope this is helpful to other travellers as too often people write in the negatives and never think to add the positives.

Room Tip: look on the website,it will give you best rates and pictures of bedrooms
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank cruise2uk
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding at Craigsanquhar Hotel on the 21st April. Now let me begin by saying that every bride and groom will most likely say that their wedding day was the best day of their lives (which it is) and therefore that the venue they had it at was the best. I will try and be as objective as possible for this review to help anyone else out there in their choice of wedding venue.

Before the wedding: Our comminucation before the wedding was a mixutre of meetings, emails and phone calls mostly to Nina. Meetings were arranged a time that suited us, Every single email was answered promptly, and all phone calls were returned. We were also encouraged to come up befoe the big day with out photographer and videographer to run through everything.

On the day: Due to the poorer weather we had our ceremony indoors on the staircase, we were able to do it the exact way we wanted and Nina and John helped to get everyone into place. When I arrived (slightly early!) everyone was already in position and ready to go. The ceremony was lovely and felt very intimate on the staircase surronded by our friends and family. After we went out for our photos. It was very cold and we were welcomed back into the main house with mulled wine made by the chef. An absolutely lovely touch that we really appreciated! We then went across to the coach house were we had 10 minutes to relax to ourselves. I cannot get across how lovely those 10 minutes were, I got to sit and relax with my husband and talk, with drinks (thanks John) and watch our guests being seated and ordering (a lovely break in our day). Our meal was lovely (soup, beef and sticky toffee pudding), we asked guests to be honest with their opinions and everyone complimented the meal (especially the soup!).

At night: The evening reception was a lot of fun, we opted for a DJ (supplied with our package at the hotel). We had a photobooth which was set up in a sensible place next to the bar. The buffet was lovely and there was enough for the guests, we also had a cake buffet which the hotel cut up for everyone. We had brought a lot of small things for the hotel to put out throughout the night which they did. Prices for drinks were absolutely fine £3.50 a pint and £2.50 for vodka and coke. I have paid much more at other weddings!

We want to thank all of the staff at the hotel for all of their work. It truely was a lovely day!

The only thing that I would suggest if we were to do the day again: microphones for the speeches (as a couple of older guests didn't quite hear it all).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank KaraP87
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Craigsanquhar at the beginning of march for my friends wedding, myself and my partner stayed in suite 2, decor was fine, could do with a refurb soon though!
I'll start with the positive-location!! Amazingly stunning area,great views and so peaceful this unfortunately is the only real positive!
The cleanliness left a bit to be desired, dusty room, a used towel at the side of the bed-not used by us!! And a few hairs around the bathroom-not great...
Also had teas and coffees, saucers were tea stained and so were the cups..for a supposed 4star hotel this is not what I would have expected.
The main bug bare of our stay was the service! Dinner service to be fair was quite efficient however when we arrived our welcome was poor by the receptionist on duty,(perhaps Lisa?) almost felt like she just didn't want to be there or couldn't be bothered-I mean if you can't make conversation or give a slight smile hospitality possibly isn't your best suited career! There was also a gentleman who I think was the manager he just seemed to be way out of his depth when we overheard him "dealing" with another dissatisfied guest. All in all wedding was nice, everything else was pretty poor. Wouldn't recommend it and most certainly will not be returning-if I thought it would get dealt with I'd have called to complain but, think chocolate and fire guard are the main words to spring to mind for how useful/helpful they would be...

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank Emilyloux
Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

Hi, we stayed for a family wedding, we had to pay £180 well in advance for a deluxe double b@b. The room was a servants room in the attic (with a small ante room). We asked for a twin, it wasn,t (but they did change it). 2 rounds of poor sandwiches and tea and coffee was £28.
we booked breakfast in our room as we had to travel early next day, i discovered the duty manager asleep and asked him where the chef was......breakfast was late.....
all in all poor customer focus, poor value for money, poor management.....

Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Scoobidoobidoo
Norfolk
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We went to a wedding at this venue and although the location is stunning we found the hotel staff difficult. We were arriving from a long distance and at the time of booking the room were told that we would be able to book in at 12noon but to call the week of the wedding to confirm. When I called 3 days before the wedding I was told that their policy had changed and that 2pm was the book in time. I did argue and about half an hour later I got a call back from the hotel to say that they would make an exception and let us in early! When we arrived, everyone was being booked in at 12noon so don't understand why they made it so stressful when I called. We then asked if we could have some tea and sandwiches, to be told that she would have to check with Chef. Sandwiches arrived, ok, but not great. My brother in law then asked for some food for their two young children, again, I will have to check with Chef - why couldn't they just say yes! Our room was right up in the old servants quarters and for £180 we felt very over priced. Cleanliness was not good at all with a thick layer of dust on top of the wardrobe. Next morning my husband had to wake up the night receptionist who was sitting at the desk snoring loudly and failed to wake up even after my husband had banged the front door twice!

Wedding was well done and the food was good. For a wedding venue, I think it would be hard to beat but for a hotel, guests certainly don't come first and you are not made to feel welcomed and wanted.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NorfolkTigger
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Excellent wedding venue, great customer service, clean, full of rustic charm and character, fantastic food and even offered a luxury lodge to wedding guests for same price as two rooms when they were unable to accomodate their profoundly handicapped child in the hotel rooms. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens in the heart of the Fife countryside, just a few miles from St Andrews and in close proximity to Dundee and a 45 min drive to Edinburgh Airport. Excellent wedding venue, great for golfing weekends and customer service was great. All our guests who stayed at the venue were delighted with it and the staff were pleasant and hospitable. We received many compliments for hosting a fabulous day and night and credit has to be given to the hotel wedding planner, Nina, and her staff as it was a large wedding. Full marks! Can't understand the complaint below as it is at complete odds with our and our guests experience. It may be that the outcome of some of the issues below were driven by the attitude of the complainers. After all, 'you get more success with sugar than vinegar', as the saying goes. Lovely hotel, thanks for making our and our guests special day a day that we will treasure and remember forever. It seems to me to be particularly bad taste for a wedding guest to go online and slate a venue that they were 'the misfortune' to be guests at. How very rude indeed and it speaks volumes about the nature of the compainer and NOT the venue (which is just fabulous).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank insidenews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craigsanquhar
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Markinch
Hotel Du Vin
Hotel Du Vin
#3 of 16 in St. Andrews

Been to Craigsanquhar House Hotel? Share your experiences!