“okay”
Review of Eagle Point Resort

Eagle Point Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mabini
Reviewed June 1, 2010

my friend had their team bldg activity here last May 28. the place is almost 4 hours drive from Manila(that is w/out traffic) and after the bus ride we rode a jeepney because the road going to the resort is very steep. when we arrived at the resort we were served w/ half filled glass of welcome drink. then we were given a room. which is a nipa hut. it was located at the far side of the resort. not very good since some of her officemates have brought along their small children. then we went to sepoc island which i think was the highlight of this event. we had our snacks and later our buffet lunch. infairness food was good and serving was huge. we liked the prawns.. it was really big.. the island was okay and swimming was fun. but there is no shower in the area so we had to do with the public shower. their swimming at the resort was okay as well. but when it was time to take a bath there was no water coming from the shower located at the nipa huts. so some of us had to take our shower in the common toilet. overall it was OKAY.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank queensweet_04

Reviewed March 25, 2010

We were 7 friends and family with experience at 5 star and 0 star hotels. This is our rating:

- General manager and chefs are weak with overall disappointing experience
- Food was sometimes refused due to poor quality. Very long wait for all meals
- Rooms and bathrooms not clean; not serviced; had to request towels/toilette paper/water
- Booking agent in Manila is unreliable. At least 5 efforts to get booking confirmation
- Numerous hidden charges (portage/service charges/extras)
- Scuba concession adequate but equipment should be checked carefully if rented

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank honolulumark
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I booked an overnight stay on one of the two bedroom cottages (we have my parents and a 5 month old baby with us). Upon arrival, we were offered to stay in one of the loft rooms instead so we did not have to walk too far from the resort facilities. They did not charge us extra for the upgrade. The resort staff were very friendly and hospitable. The place was clean, room was spacious and overall looked like it was going to be a great and relaxing stay. But looks can be deceiving. Things were going great until night time. A group from the sales department of Nestle Philippines were staying at the place at the same time and decided they wanted to partake in Karaoke singing. The pavilion they were doing the Karaoke was located right next to our room. As the night wore on, the group got drunker and louder. We, along with our 5 month old baby had trouble sleeping due to the loud noise. We tolerated this until about 11 pm when I proceeded to call the front desk, the operator, housekeeping, the restaurant and nobody answered the phones. So I decided to go the front desk and to my surprise, nobody was there, the place was wide open and I could have ransaked the whole place and nobody would have noticed! I found one of the waiters and asked him to get the Night Manager and was told that she was already "sleeping". I told the waiter I needed to talk to security and the security guard came after 30 minutes, looked like he just woke up, and was armed with only a night stick. I told him about the noise and the security guard did not do anything but instead told the waiter to tell the group to tone it down. The group just laughed at the waiter and kept asking him who was complaining. It was not until another waiter joined his co-worker that the group decided to end their out of tune, loud and obnoxious singing. It was almost 1 am in the morning when the group decided to quit and go back to their rooms.

I went to the front desk the next morning and looked for the manager (Sheila). They told me she was going to be in at 0730 but it was already 0800 and the manager still could not be found. Good thing that there was Louee Garcia, who was an Eagle Point Resort Sales Executive in their Makati office present at the time and I explained to her what transpired the night before. She was real apologetic and even offered us a free overnight stay to make things right. I declined the offer since I did not want that to change my review of the resort, but did explain to her what improvements they needed to make.

I for one, value my life and the security and safety of the folks around me. I found out that the resort only has 2 security guards on duty (hence the 30 minute response time the night before). Only one has a gun and the other a baton. Sure the Philippines is safer than most places in the world (compared to Iraq or Afghanistan), but memories of the Dos Palmas kidnappings comes to mind when I think about the security at this place. There is easy access to the resort from the ocean, minimal security, no night staff, and had I confronted the rowdy group and things got ugly, I don't think the resort security could have responded in time to stop the commotion that could have ensued.

Another thing is that the resort has a policy of "No outside food or drinks"; but they do not have a store that sells snacks or water and we found out that the restaurant/kitchen closes at 10 pm, so no room service after 10 pm. Sad to say, we hardly got any sleep that night and also went hungry. Good thing they gave us complimentary water after we checked into our room.

The resort is not handicap accessible. So for folks with babies, those who are handicapped/disabled, and anybody who was a hard time going up and down stairs, go stay somewhere else.

The resort staff did not inform us of this stuff and we had to rely on what was available on the internet when we booked this place. There were no brochures in the the room telling us of the facility hours. I wanted to get some peace and quiet and to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city but I got more rest and relaxation when I went home, so Buyer Beware and also Be Aware.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Pinoyredneck
Reviewed February 16, 2010

If you are into diving/snorkeling, this resort is one of the best choices for you.. If you haven't dived before and want to learn, it's also fine, because the diving instructor gives yo lessons and you get your certificate within one week (~$500)
You can also swim in one of the four pools of the resort..
Food in the restaurant is delicious, waiters are kind and smiling..

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dincer80
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I stayed 5 days here as I wanted to do some diving but wanted quieter accommodation. I stayed in one of the cottages which was less expensive and has a lot more character than the hotel section of the resort. The resort is perched on a rocky shore and has some good snorkelling right in front of it. The sunset views are gorgeous and the 2 swimming pools are great venues to sip a mango shake, read a book and cool off. The restaurant has great seafood although pricey by Philippine standards it is good value for money. The hotel staff are friendly and seem to enjoy their jobs which to me means the management must treat them well. I had a good massage one night and I arranged for diving through the dive shop and was able to share a boat with 3 other guests which meant I dived for about $25 a dive including a boat and full equipment rental-very reasonable. I also did 2 dives right from the hotel including Cathedral Rocks which the boat will take you to but can be done after a surface swim from the dive shop.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank gypsymaman
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Eagle Point Resort turned out to be a perfectly good place for my family to spend a couple of fun-filled days and nights. The food was included in the price, was abundant, and of excellent quality. The service was also very good in all respects. The front desk staff even let my wife and I check our emails on their own computer when they learned we didn't have our own.

Our sleeping room was bigger than most you will find in the Philippines, and the A/C worked like a dream. Only minor downside was that the bathroom was very dimly lit...

The views and location are really wonderful and conducive to a relaxed, laid back stay. Their private beach, an easy 20 minute boat ride away, is really beautiful and they will make you a custom lunch complete with fresh caught and grilled fish...

Eagle Point Resort provided us with good food, sleeping rooms, scenery, and attentive service. Hope to return some day.

Aaron

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Eagle Point Resort is not hard to locate since all the resorts are lined up along the two-lane highway in Mabini, Batangas. Front desk service was quick and easy although the staff didn't seem to have any sense of urgency at all. While she answered all our questions, she took her time moving about. The main restaurant staff were all very accommodating and courteous, but the food items were pricey and not exactly exceptional.

Rooms were ok. I hated the lingering smokey smell that our room had though. Although the sheets and mattresses were thin and the pillows not plush, they were manageable. The bathroom were clean and spacious and I think that was the best part of the rooms.

The amenities faired averagely. The resort is old and needs updating. We did not use any of the resorts' amenities other than the swimming pools and house reef pool which are not the best in the area either. I say, it's a typical average Filipino resort that caters for the middle B/C classes. The house reef pool is cleaned everyday and contains a school of big, fat groupers, which are pretty intimidating at first.

What made the whole trip worth it was the marine life right in front of the resort. Although the waves were not the calmest, snorkeling was pretty easy and the view underwater was just spectacular! Maybe the fact that it was my first time to snorkel made the experience all the more special.

The thing I liked least was the rather hefty price of the board and lodging which doesn't really live up to what the resort offers in terms of food and accommodation. I'm sure the other resorts in the area are pretty much alike anyway.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mabini
Sea's Spring Resort Hotel
#1 of 4 in Nasugbu
Club Balai Isabel
Club Balai Isabel
#1 of 2 in Talisay

Been to Eagle Point Resort? Share your experiences!