“We left a day early......”
Review of Eagle Point Resort

Eagle Point Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mabini
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Prior to arrival we phoned to ask if they could print Agoda voucher and were told "No problem"
On arrival we were checked in to cheaper room than we had paid for. I queried this and was told it was the correct.room. I used my laptop to show them that I had paid for a superior room and was then told that no superior rooms were available and Agoda were at fault for selling premium room.
I asked to speak to manager and after a lengthy delay the receptionist informed me a superior room had been found.
Moved room and was initially very happy.
On our first use of the bathroom we discovered that the toilet was partially blocked . We immediately reported this to reception, and continued to regularly report it for the next 36 hours.It was still not repaired when we left.
The highlight of our first night was the noise from the adjacent room with constant comings and goings from noisy visitors,
I complained the next day and was told our neighbors were checking out that morning and thanked for my patience.
My partner's breakfast pancakes were undercooked,her bacon burnt .
On a positive note service from restaurant staff was a little muddled but very friendly.
The main entertainment for the day was the noise from a corporate outing who had taken over the hotel.
The sound of clapping and chanting the names of those who had reached sales targets provided soothing background noise for poolside sunbathing.
Complaints were met with friendly indifference so we decided to check out a day early.
The prepaid room rate was not refundable but I couldn't be bothered to complain any more.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jonturkey

Reviewed March 30, 2011

It was another conference and we decided to try this resort based on feedback from others who had been to this place. Going to Mabini, Batangas from Manila may not be a breeze but once you get inside the resort, all your strain and fatigue will be wiped out by the thrilling view of the sea. The resort itself can only be accessible by smaller vehicles because of the steep and narrow road leading to the venue.

This is a diving resort so don't expect the sea to be conducive for swimming. However, there are several pools where you can wade and play by the waters. They offer a side trip to a nearby island and this is another reason why your stay here may be considered worthwhile. The food is great and lavishly served and the staff are courteous and very accommodating. The resort is replete with amenities for a conference or seminar which is the purpose of our stay. Nightlife at the main core is cozy if you may want to wine and dine in a warmly lit environment. The villa rooms where we stayed are clean and provided with everything you might need to be comfy aside from boasting with a spectacular sea view where you can even see passing ships from a distant.

I have been to several out of town conference venues but thus far, this place is one of the best in terms of venue, food and accommodation. It would be fun going back here with some friends and family for an easy and laid back weekend stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank NikTraveller
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights in January 2011. Staff were very friendly. Had an ocean view room with large balcony. Room had modern fixtures, flat screen tv and 2 queen beds.

The snorkeling is excellent right in front of the resort. Swimming with the sharks was also fun in the salt water pool. Our group took a day trip to the island, where we had lunch, snorkeled and hung out.

The resort is fairly isolated, it's not easy to get anywhere else once you're there. Thankfully the food was quite good and the atmosphere relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank WadeHongKong
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I've been to Eagle Point Resort several times already but it was my first time to bring along the whole clan to celebrate New Year in Batangas. All I can say that Eagle Point still is the best Batangas destination for me. I've been to different resorts in Batangas (Bauan, Mabini, San Juan, Lian.....). I've tried resorts from the new and trendy down to the cheap and crappy. Still, Eagle Point remains my favorite. It is not a five star resort but you get more value for your money here than anywhere else. It's not too expensive leaving you wondering if what you really paid for was worth it. We stayed in the hotel rooms (loft and the non-view). The loft was at 6,800Php a night inclusive of breakfast for 4. The non-view rooms were at 3,200Php a night with breakfast for 2. The rooms are newly renovated. The loft room will comfortable sleep 5-7 people. A queen and a double bed on the ground level and another queen bed at the loft. They put in a chiller at the loft room and the room now has 2 TVs ( One on each level). The non view rooms were basic yet clean and spacious enough. No chillers here (yet?). The food is pricey for the average Filipino (Be prepared to dish out Php300-600 per person for main meals and 200Php to 500Php for in-between meals) yet I would say that this resort serves the best food of all the Batangas resorts I've been to. Servings are generous so sharing is possible if you are not a big eater. We had a blast watching with the little fireworks show . I'm not really sure though if a guest brought it all along with them or if resort management set it up. At around 11.30 pm, the resort served complementary canapes and wine.

***TIPS***
If you are a beach person, especially if you are into diving and snorkeling, you will surely enjoy this resort. If you are looking for a place to enjoy the insides of your hotel room then you'll be wasting your time and money here.

I would say that a three day/two night stay is best. When you arrive, enjoy the pool, swim with the sharks in their salt water pool, or do some snorkeling around the resort. On the second day, head out to their private island (Sepoc Beach). You will need to inform the resort that you plan to go to Sepoc the day you arrive so they can make arrangements for your boat ride and your lunch. Boat ride is at P1,800.00 good for 8 persons. Sepoc Island has rough white sand with a lot of sharp dead corals. Very important that you have aqua shoes. Be sure to bring goggles or diving masks to be able to see the fish. Head back by 3:00PM so you won't experience rough waters. Do a little karaoke after dinner.... Have a good breakfast the next day with Batangas barako coffee (best in the Philippines!). Relax by the pool, play at the game room, or if you can still squeeze it in before you leave, do a guided tour in an ATV.

Service was impeccable. The resort will allow early check in (as long as your room is ready) and late check out. The only thing I didn't like: the resort management is now strict about bringing food and drinks in. I would understand about bringing in cooked food but the resort should give more consideration about bringing in chips, snacks, cookies, and some drinks.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ditz_8
Reviewed June 1, 2010

my friend had their team bldg activity here last May 28. the place is almost 4 hours drive from Manila(that is w/out traffic) and after the bus ride we rode a jeepney because the road going to the resort is very steep. when we arrived at the resort we were served w/ half filled glass of welcome drink. then we were given a room. which is a nipa hut. it was located at the far side of the resort. not very good since some of her officemates have brought along their small children. then we went to sepoc island which i think was the highlight of this event. we had our snacks and later our buffet lunch. infairness food was good and serving was huge. we liked the prawns.. it was really big.. the island was okay and swimming was fun. but there is no shower in the area so we had to do with the public shower. their swimming at the resort was okay as well. but when it was time to take a bath there was no water coming from the shower located at the nipa huts. so some of us had to take our shower in the common toilet. overall it was OKAY.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank queensweet_04
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We were 7 friends and family with experience at 5 star and 0 star hotels. This is our rating:

- General manager and chefs are weak with overall disappointing experience
- Food was sometimes refused due to poor quality. Very long wait for all meals
- Rooms and bathrooms not clean; not serviced; had to request towels/toilette paper/water
- Booking agent in Manila is unreliable. At least 5 efforts to get booking confirmation
- Numerous hidden charges (portage/service charges/extras)
- Scuba concession adequate but equipment should be checked carefully if rented

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank honolulumark
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I booked an overnight stay on one of the two bedroom cottages (we have my parents and a 5 month old baby with us). Upon arrival, we were offered to stay in one of the loft rooms instead so we did not have to walk too far from the resort facilities. They did not charge us extra for the upgrade. The resort staff were very friendly and hospitable. The place was clean, room was spacious and overall looked like it was going to be a great and relaxing stay. But looks can be deceiving. Things were going great until night time. A group from the sales department of Nestle Philippines were staying at the place at the same time and decided they wanted to partake in Karaoke singing. The pavilion they were doing the Karaoke was located right next to our room. As the night wore on, the group got drunker and louder. We, along with our 5 month old baby had trouble sleeping due to the loud noise. We tolerated this until about 11 pm when I proceeded to call the front desk, the operator, housekeeping, the restaurant and nobody answered the phones. So I decided to go the front desk and to my surprise, nobody was there, the place was wide open and I could have ransaked the whole place and nobody would have noticed! I found one of the waiters and asked him to get the Night Manager and was told that she was already "sleeping". I told the waiter I needed to talk to security and the security guard came after 30 minutes, looked like he just woke up, and was armed with only a night stick. I told him about the noise and the security guard did not do anything but instead told the waiter to tell the group to tone it down. The group just laughed at the waiter and kept asking him who was complaining. It was not until another waiter joined his co-worker that the group decided to end their out of tune, loud and obnoxious singing. It was almost 1 am in the morning when the group decided to quit and go back to their rooms.

I went to the front desk the next morning and looked for the manager (Sheila). They told me she was going to be in at 0730 but it was already 0800 and the manager still could not be found. Good thing that there was Louee Garcia, who was an Eagle Point Resort Sales Executive in their Makati office present at the time and I explained to her what transpired the night before. She was real apologetic and even offered us a free overnight stay to make things right. I declined the offer since I did not want that to change my review of the resort, but did explain to her what improvements they needed to make.

I for one, value my life and the security and safety of the folks around me. I found out that the resort only has 2 security guards on duty (hence the 30 minute response time the night before). Only one has a gun and the other a baton. Sure the Philippines is safer than most places in the world (compared to Iraq or Afghanistan), but memories of the Dos Palmas kidnappings comes to mind when I think about the security at this place. There is easy access to the resort from the ocean, minimal security, no night staff, and had I confronted the rowdy group and things got ugly, I don't think the resort security could have responded in time to stop the commotion that could have ensued.

Another thing is that the resort has a policy of "No outside food or drinks"; but they do not have a store that sells snacks or water and we found out that the restaurant/kitchen closes at 10 pm, so no room service after 10 pm. Sad to say, we hardly got any sleep that night and also went hungry. Good thing they gave us complimentary water after we checked into our room.

The resort is not handicap accessible. So for folks with babies, those who are handicapped/disabled, and anybody who was a hard time going up and down stairs, go stay somewhere else.

The resort staff did not inform us of this stuff and we had to rely on what was available on the internet when we booked this place. There were no brochures in the the room telling us of the facility hours. I wanted to get some peace and quiet and to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city but I got more rest and relaxation when I went home, so Buyer Beware and also Be Aware.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Pinoyredneck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mabini
Coral Beach Club
Club Balai Isabel
#1 of 2 in Talisay
Canyon Cove Hotel & Spa
White Castle Resort & Hotel

Been to Eagle Point Resort? Share your experiences!