“Great meals”

The Hall
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Hall is a charming building in a lovely village. We stayed in the village for a couple days so we were lucky enough to eat here twice. The staff are very friendly and are helpful. The food was very good and I would say great value the Chef does seem to know his/her trade very well. I recomed the Lamb. WOW. My wife who is a bit fussy asked for just a chicken breast this was not on the menu but the chef accomadated her needs. Thank you you must visit the Hall.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

After a sad morning at the funeral of a close relative, a group of us returned to Thornton-le-Dale for lunch at The Hall Inn. It was arranged at very short notice, having previously found the Old Lodge in Malton to be very unhelpful ("Be there on time because the chef goes home at 2 o'clock!")

The Hall were more than happy to fit us in if we didn't mind sharing the restaurant with another pre-booked function. They provided us with a table for 10 in a secluded part of the restaurant, and nothing was too much trouble. The owner/manager and staff were superb, and certainly cheered us all up after our sad event.

I've run out of superlatives to describe the quality of the food. Succulent gammon steaks, steak & kidney pudding out of this world, excellent fish and chips, and good house wines. Starters and desserts also generous and top quality.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great pub / restaurant. Had a Sunday lunch which was delicious and a few beers in the bar with a lovely roaring fire. It was snowing outside but a lovely warm atmosphere inside with friendly and attentive staff. Will be visiting again for sure.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was going to head this "Traditional English Food", then I remembered their Burns Night Suppers!

This is an unusual place, being simultaneously a care home for the elderly and a bar and restaurant for the general public. Although I might almost qualify for use of the former, it is the latter I am reviewing!

Good food and a pleasant atmosphere. This was a mid-winter visit, so the blazing log fire in the bar was very welcome, though in the restaurant we asked to be moved because we were seated next to a fire and a radiator, and you can have too much of a good thing. We went for the traditional Sunday Lunch of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, with all the usual accompaniments. The bottle of House Red was excellent.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Driving back from York on a Sunday, we were running late to find a decent place to eat. We had called at the "Beansheaf" near Pickering which advertised itself as a "Restaurant" and "Open all day", but were nevertheless unable to provide us with a meal at 2.30 pm. We drove back to our home village of Thornton-le-Dale and went to the Hall. By this time it was nearly 3 pm and their restaurant was still busy. We were shown to a table by pleasant staff. My wife had an excellent steak with chips and onion rings, and I had their burger and chips (which another reviewer "Rob S" has complained about). Our meals were excellent. We had a couple of glasses of their house wine (also excellent) and I finished off with the best raspberry and apple crumble (with ice cream) I'd had in a long time. The total bill wan't much over £40 for the two of us.