“Pleasantly Suprised”
Review of The Buck Hotel

The Buck Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thornton-Le-Dale
The Buck Hotel
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Have visited the Buck over the past few years while we have been camping as a family in Thornton-Le-Dale, always been ok. However after visiting last night for a family meal I can firmly say the best "pub" meal and service I have had in a long while....(also visited the New Inn the night before which is just across the road, not impressed)
The dinning room is lovely, all the waiting staff were lovely and couldnt of been more professional or polite, ordered a shared starter along with 2 main meals and a childrens meal which arrived with our starter as requested, the childrens meal fantastic value for money the fluffiest jacket potatoe with lovely "proper" chicken nuggets. The other 2 main meals where a Steak & Ale pie & Burger....well it did what it said on the menu, the pie was the best I have ever had, perfect pastry topping filled with plenty of melt in the mouth steak and sublime gravy yum yum The burger was most certainly home made!!!!! Fantastic value for money and tasted perfect....only tiny gripe is instead of frozen chips "homemade chips" in my opinion would of taken it to the next level and tbh would of paid more than the very reasonable £8.95 - will def be back at the end of the month when we're camping again!!!
Only reason I marked down the childrens activity is that you have a fab beer garden and nothing for children to do....not a problem with us as our daughter is easily pleased with running around

Room Tip: Sorry didn't stop in accomodation
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank griffbowler

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We phoned ahead to book a table as we wanted to check if dogs were allowed..which they were in certain areas. There was a great choice of food, including a wide choice on the specials board. There were plenty of people in-some just for a drink and some eating like us. If vegetarian, there was an imaginative choice, and I'm told the game pie was very good! If passing again, we will certainly go back! The staff were friendly and service good

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were staying at The Grange guest house over the Bank Holiday weekend and walked to The Buck on Friday evening for dinner. We don't eat meat and were impressed with the choice of fish and veggie options. We both went for a smoky bean chilli which was lovely. It arrived piping hot which I love. Nothing worse than luke warm food. Good portions and very tasty. The Belgian chocolate dessert was indulgent but hey - " we're on holiday". The service was good, the staff polite and food arrived quickly. My only complaint is that they don't serve food on a Sunday evening so we had to eat elsewhere but that's another story!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were visiting the area, and decide that The Buck looked like a nice place to eat. The food was lovely, and was served quickly! The waiting on staff were young, but very good at their job.
Overall very pleased with our choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

live in the village and its the first time I have tried the Sunday Roast. I had the mushroom starter in a garlic cream sauce and the Roast Beef , REAL roast potatoes and perfectly cooked veg which included my favourite dark cabbage . What have I been missing !! Excellent food and 2 courses for £8.95 , how can you go wrong !! Highly recommended

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Fantastic 3 nights at The Buck with the family. Great hosts and a friendly, helpful and cheerful team made our stay relaxing, comfortable and highly enjoyable. The rooms were great. Me and my wife had a recently refurbished double with its own en suite bathroom complete with roll top bath (big enough for two). Parents had the twin aspect room on the corner of the building which was also excellent and my brother had the other double.
The pub has recently been renovated and the lounge is cosy and comfortable without becoming a cliche olde worlde kind of place. There were four cask ales on and the cask marque which the pub holds is well deserved as the beer was great. We ate at the pub all three nights. Great range of food, also catering for any special dietary requirements. My brother has severe gluten intolerance and to have a real choice as well as a full gluten free English breakfast was something special. Local game is often on the menu... It's often brought in by very local suppliers and If you like pies, there's a great choice, all sorts of game, rabbit, pigeon, as well as the usual steak and ale etc. great veggie choice and fantastic starters and deserts. If you're in this neck of the woods, come into The Buck. It's everything a great pub and restaurant should be.... Stay a night for best results.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nige10868
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were staying in Thornton le Dale, and decided to try the pub for a drink, the customers were friendly as was the staff, but the seating are we chose didn't have that great feel about it, nothing wrong with the drink but I didn't get the atmospheric vibe.
Sunday lunch time we decided to give it another whirl and have our lunch there. We sat by the window in front of the fire, totally cosy atmosphere, complete polar opposite of our first impression. The food, wow, we decided upon the sunday lunch menu, all I can say is it was very generous, tender and really well presented. The prices were very reasonable. Would I return? Well yes, I'd be back tomorrow if I lived closer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton-Le-Dale
Best Western Forest & Vale Hotel
#5 of 12 in Thornton-Le-Dale
High Dalby House
High Dalby House
#4 of 12 in Thornton-Le-Dale

Been to The Buck Hotel? Share your experiences!