“THE HIMALAYAN PARADISE”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalpa
The Grand Shamba-La
Ranked #1 of 17 Kalpa B&B and Inns
KOLKATA
“THE HIMALAYAN PARADISE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

On 25.10.2013, on getting a call from intercom at my room no 304, I stared at the front window,I was totally speechless as I had watched the rise of moon behind the Kinnaur Kailash.
Generally the travellers are habituated to enjoy sunrise at a hill station or on a sea shore,but this was my first experience to watch a moon rise.I was totally mesmersied by the enchanting view of Full moon rise and the glow of the Himalayas at that night as if I was within the lap of Kinnaur Kailash during that night but in reality i was lying on the soft linen bed of room no 304 of The Grand Shangrila,Kalpa.
The entrepreneur of the Hotel Mr Prithwi Raj Negi welcomed us in a enthuastic manner with a delicious fruit juice.He is a young,handsome,knowledgable person.He and his team's hospitality reminded me about "Atithi deba bhaba".
The rooms were excellent but I think the main attraction of the hotel was not only the majestic panaromic view of K.K. but the attic library of the hotel.It was my awesome feelings to spend 3 hrs within the library which not only satisfy my knowledge-hunger but wondered me about the collections.
However My destination were different but my destiny was The Grand Shangrila.My heartiest thanks to Mr Prithwi for such an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Room no 204 or 304
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank raja123Kolkata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

we had a wonderful experience staying here which cant be called a hotel its truly a heaven on the earth a fantastic place wonderful staff yummy food and we would really thank shri prithviji for his warm hospitality and a very helpful nature he helpes us in all the aspects and we are blessed staying in at shangrilla we just want to keep o coming wenwould also thank shri kapilji for his dedication towards the guest we had the best time of our life, the hotel was beautiful,location nish,food outstanding a true heaven on earth

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

it feel awesome to stay with you ...
view from there was describable, excellent , heart touchable...
food and hospitality was unbelievable...
i enjoy this trip you made this trip unforgettable .....
thanks for this kind of hospitality ....

Room Tip: advise for travelers is must use this hotel and experience the good food and best hospitality... e...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludhiana, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Friends, awe inspiring closeness to the massive Kinner Kailash range, peace, tranquility, beautiful treks, comfortable stay, good food and much much more. This is what awaits you during a trip to Kalpa and a highly recommended stay at Grand Shangri-La.

It is the simplest of things that most properties fail to deliver and that is where Grand Shangri-La stands apart. From the moment you contact them, to your stay and departure, the owner and staff show a genuine desire to please you and make your experience as pleasant as possible. Prithvi's (owner) politeness, honesty and warmth emanates down to each member of the staff.

The hotel offers amazing views of the Kinner Kailash and other surrounding ranges. Rooms are homely, comfortable, cozy and very well maintained. They also have a beautiful attic with open balconies where you can chill and admire the mountains all day. A good collection of soothing music and interesting books to read are also on offer. The locally made apple and berry juices are out of this world. Kapil can also arrange some lovely 'Farm Scotch' on request ;-).

Kalpa itself is a gem and there are some lovely treks up into the apple orchids. While we only had time for a couple of night's stay I would highly recommend a longer stay to fully explore the beauty of this place.

Thank you so much Prithvi and Kapil for making our stay so lovely, and staying in touch after we left. We walked into The Grand Shangri-La thinking of it as a hotel and came out considering it a friend's home. Best wishes to Prithvi and Kapil, their family and the entire staff! Prithvi asked us for suggestions to improve customer experience and all I can say is that you guys are doing a hell of a job already and just stick to it!

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th Floor offer the best views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I arrived at the Grand Shangri-La with the plan to stay two nights, i became one week because it is such a nice place. I enjoyed the quietness and peacefulness, but most of all the great hospitality of the whole staff. The food was just amazing, the room perfect and spacious. The owner himself took me out for a nice sightseeing trip in surrounding villages, which gave me a good insight in the local way of living. Another thing which sets the Hotel apart of any other in India is the attic, which offers not just a stunning view on the surrounding mountains and a lot of space to sit together and enjoy the lovely local juices, but also a very well sorted library.
With this very peaceful and calm atmosphere this place felt somehow close to paradise to me

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gravitationswellen
Kolkata, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I must say separately something about Hotel Grand Shangri-La. If you are ready to walk 50 mts and to use stairs, then please please don’t stay at any other place in Kalpa apart from this hotel. Location wise it is fabulous, View of Mount Kailash will make you spellbound, Food is enjoyable, Rooms are excellent, they are well furnished, decorated, scientifically constructed to control room temperature . You may get all these things at some other hotels also. But what you will not get is Mr. Prithvi Raj Negi. He is owner of this hotel, also owner of Apple, Grapes orchards. But he is so down to earth that, if he does not disclose his identity, you will think him as a normal employee. His warmness, feelings, attitude, behavior is unparallel. I have seen such a person who’s ideology is to serve and satisfy his guests, business is secondary for him. Once you meet him, you can’t forget him in rest of your life.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

very comfortable, clean and well maintained rooms with a gorgeous view of the mountains. The library on the top floor is absolutely wonderful, the perfect place to sit back and relax right in front of the himalayas. Vey friendly staff and manager, plus great home cooked food.

Definitely recommend anyone visiting Kalpa to stay in the Grand Shangri-la.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpa
Kinner Villa
Hotel Madhu
Hotel Madhu
#3 of 10 in Sangla
Agyaat Vaas- The Himalayan Retreat

Been to The Grand Shamba-La? Share your experiences!