“cOMFORTABLE BUDDHIST HOTEL IN kALPA KINNAUR”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalpa
The Grand Shamba-La
Ranked #1 of 17 Kalpa B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“cOMFORTABLE BUDDHIST HOTEL IN kALPA KINNAUR”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Grand Shrangri La is as wonderful a place as it's name suggests.It is surrounded by enigmatic snow caped mountains and tranquil apple fields The owner has had the good sense not only to build his hotel in this astoundingly beautiful place,but to invite this breath taking setting into your room through large picture windows.The bedrooms are great,clean and well furbished with comfortablebathrooms,hot water and heating. Kalpa is a raural village which gives the visitor a rare opportunity to glimpse into the life style of the Kinnauri people while enjoying the pleasures tourist facilities can provide.The Shangri La is a hotel which gives the visitor the rare opportunity to glimpse into a Buddhist run hotel while enjoying the warmth, and com ,with plenty of Buddhist literature,music and imagery to study,and discuss or simply to glance at whilst relaxing in the wooden paneled attic lounge .This area is fantastic so homely and cosy,but clean and light .It has a balcony with a panaramic view of the Kilash and serves tea and fresh local fruit juice.The restaurant is good and hygenic with a selection of Chinise, Tibetan ,Kinnauri and Indian food.It is a family run place and provides a friendly but respectful reception

Room Tip: All rooms are fine
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Kalpa's The Grand Shangri-La along with Mr. Prithvi Raj Negi rewriting the definition of hospitality. I stayed at the The Grand Shangri-La for 4 nights with a friend and the experience can barely be expressed in words. Though I wanted to just show up at this place but looking at the time I was traveling, I thought it's advisable to have a chat with the owner. Post that phone call with Mr. Negi, all uncertainties were put to rest!

Kalpa is a beautiful village with eye catching landscapes all around. Without a doubt, The Grand Shangri-La is the best property available in Kalpa, or if i may add, in Kinnaur region! Equipped with all necessary facilities for all seasons, this place deserves to get recognition and appreciation for not just coming up with a pretty looking property but for the hospitality which doesn't really come from a course book but his values and passion!

There is no question about how great the place is, how scenic the village is, how helpful the locals are! To add to that, I want to acknowledge the way and the intent with which Mr. Negi runs the show! There has to be a reason for which guests at The Grand Shangri-La cancel their onward bookings and spend those extra days here. Something that encourages guests to stay for as long as 35 days and design a website for The Grand Shangri-La to help reach larger audience. Great work done by Mr. Prithvi Raj Negi, his brother Ashok, his family and everybody involved.

For travellers - Suite Room on the 4th floor with the view of Kalpa village and Kinner Kailash Mountain range is the best. Rooms are big and clean, neat washroom, electric blankets, room heater etc is all available. You will be comfortable there. Cafe Little Tibet is amazing with great collection of books and hand made fruit juices. There is a small shopping gallery on the top floor where one can buy Tibetan/Buddhist souvenirs, jewellery, bags etc. Food is local, freshly prepared and tastes good! Enjoy the snow capped mountains with binoculars, talk to Prithvi and listen to the world he has to share!

Thank you Prithvi for your hospitality and I loved those kids. Great work The Grand Shangri-La and good luck! Attached few pictures.

Room Tip: For travellers - Suite Room on the 4th floor with the view of Kalpa village and Kinner Kailash Mount...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Abhijeet28
Pune
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Kinnaur district of Himachal is one of the beautiful places on earth. Kinner Kailash has a very scenic view and its really amazing to see it change its colors across the day with the changing atmosphere. One has to be lucky to have a clear day to get a clear view though.

Also the place is the best in entire Kalpa. if you opt for the top floor rooms, facing the mountains, you see the kinner kailash range from your balcony. you can just keep watching from the hotel room without requiring to travel specifically.

the hotel is run by a family and you can expect a homely and cozy welcome and stay as well. its a very comfortable place and has all thr required amenities.
they have a great collection of books in their library and the view of the mountains from there is just fabulous.
Especially the telescope there gives a clear viea of the Shiv lingam on the kinner kailash.

All in all its the best place to stay at the Grand Shangri La at Kalpa. its more than Value for money.
would recommend people planning to go to Kalpa should definitely choose to stay here.

• Stayed May 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We travel to different places in the Himalayas every year. In all these years, we have traveled and stayed in good number of hotels, resorts, eco cottages, homestays and everything else, and experienced all the different flavors ranging from super professional luxurious tourism to close to nature eco tourism to cosy and comfy B&Bs in nice and friendly home-stays. BUT, the experience that we had at Kalpa and exclusively at the "Shangri-la" is beyond anything that we ever had.

The moment you walk in, you actually become a dear family member of Prithvi and all his hotel staffs. They literally take hospitality to a level where you experience bliss and never want to come back. It's an amazing place beyond explanation. We actually changed our plans, shifted bookings of our onward journey, just to overstay at Kalpa. Stayed there for 3 nights and longed for more.

All the mountain facing rooms have gorgeous views. As usual, the higher you go, the better the view is. The rooms are very clean and very nicely decorated. I should specially mention about the Roof Top Attic. It's very well thought out and beautifully done.

The hotel is extremely well maintained and they put extra emphasis on cleanliness and overall hygiene. They cordially provide you with everything that you need over and above.

Besides getting awestruck by the grand views of the Kailash range, there are number of very enjoyable short treks and day trips that one must do to explore more of Kalpa.

One must try the ultra pure Grape Juices (without any form of additives) that you get there. I liked the Black ones the most.

Prithvi Raj Negi, the owner, has a very nice story about the inception of the hotel which links to his Tibetan origins.

I must thank Prithvi, his younger brother and all the hotel staffs from the core for making my trip so much memorable. Kudos to all of you. Please keep up the excellent work that you do.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Room No #401 has the best view, decor everything.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kuntal_bhattacharya
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed October 26, 2012

It was in 1998, that I first heard about Kinner Kailash and Kalpa. Thereafter, I got a lot to read and see videos about the place and it was a burning desire to visit this place. I guided a lot of my relatives to see this region - but only got lucky in June'12

Amongst all my forays to the Himalayas in the last 20 years, I have never felt so much at home - as I did at Shangrila Kalpa. The friendly owners Mr & Mr Prithvi Negi and the hospitable and ever smiling staff were a welcome and soothing sight after an arduous drive from Shimla

The property is nestled amongst the apple and walnut orchard. It's developed with a lot of minute detailing - especially keeping in mind the small small comforts that one would want after a tiring day. The washrooms were very well maintained - clean, no leaky taps, powerful geysers and all basic amenities/ toiletries were provided. The rooms well maintained with sparkling clean laundry. This clearly shows Prithvi has a smart thinking head!

The third floor room (left one with an extra room) we stayed in had magnificent, simply awesome and uninterrupted views of the peaks: Kinner Kailash, Jorkanden and Raldang. I have never been so close to the mountains in all my journeys. The food is simply lip smacking and was always prepared fresh and served with a lot of love and affection. We were certainly spoilt to the core. The staff always made that extra effort to make our stay as comfortable as possible. This explains why a lot of foreign nationals staying at other places were dropping by at Shangrila for their meals. On a gloomy day - there's enough to catch up on the local folklore, Tibetan culture etc in the famous library on the top floor - this is a place where time will stand by. I was pleasantly surprised to know that the property boasted of good Internet connectivity as well

Prithvi and his team has a unique quality which I have never felt with other hoteliers and that's he strikes warm and cordial rapport with all his guests and treats them live his own family members. He always goes the extra mile - without you having to say it. Kudos to all of you! Keep up the Standards! May you grow exponentially!

We had a great time traveling to Sangla Valley - truly one of the most beautiful drives in the mountains. Upon our return from Chitkul, we stopped by a stream to have lunch - it was my dream to enjoy such moments in wilderness - and way to fulfill

Kalpa will always hold a special place in my heart - for I got to witness the most spectacular sunset - the simmering rays coupled with the evening halo, were nothing short of a fire dance on the peaks. I was completely numb to watch the drama that unfolded at Kalpa

We stayed for 03 nights - and trust me, I was very sad to return. I promised Prithvi to be back each year, provided he would have an elevator installed - Ha Ha!!

Room Tip: Third Floor rooms - the ones which face the Peaks have excellent views and are bright and sunny
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I spent some days in Kalpa and arrived "by coincidence" at hotel "The Grand Shangri-la", when I was walking through this nice little village. When I entered the building, I was invited very friendly by Prithvi Raj, one of the Tibetan owners. He showed me the wonderful Tibetan style rooms. Even though I did not sleep in this hotel, I was allowed to stay, relax and read books at the wonderful Tibetan style library and grand cafe, located at the attic of the hotel (see the photos). I spent two afternoons here, and was offered the great locally made organic grapefruit juices. Personally I like the white juice more than the dark, but both are excellent and without additives.

I experienced that Prithvi really wants the best for his guests, and earning money is of secundary importance at this place. Not only the guests I saw are happy here, but also the employees like working here and vibrate happiness, even the lady who cleans the rooms. The owners are a Tibetan family and they really practise Buddhism in daily life to their guests: "others before self", and the law of Karma are taken into account here! :-)

I am very grateful for being able to stay at this place for reading and relaxing. I am also very grateful that Prithvi was willing to share contact details of a valuable friend, who is willing to help me during my travel through India. I greatly recommend this place, which is extremely hygienic to European standards, and has great and comfortable rooms with a great view to the Kinner Kaleish mountain. Besides a great experience, this place definately offers value for your money!

• Stayed October 2012
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed October 4, 2012

One of the most relaxing stays I ever had in India ! After traveling through dusty and cold Spiti valley, one needs a calm relaxing stay in Kalpa. That's just what I found at Shangri La. Comfortable, very clean, great views and welcoming staff, that's what I found at this hotel. Next time I go to Himachal Pradesh I will be spending a lot more time there, the village is great, the mountain views are superb, he food is great and the staff, including the owner are great, helpful people.
Definitely worth!!!
Andrei , Romania

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpa
Kinner Villa
Hotel Madhu
Hotel Madhu
#3 of 12 in Sangla
Agyaat Vaas- The Himalayan Retreat

Been to The Grand Shamba-La? Share your experiences!